Active Los Angeles GMRS Repeaters?

bmiller59

Premium Subscriber
Hello. Are there existing Los Angeles GMRS repeaters that are either open or open to new members? If so please let me know what they are, or where to get more info. Thank you!

bmiller59

Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I did see that website and tried to test a few of them with my two GMRS radios, but was not able to connect. I wasn't sure if that was because my radios were not reaching the repeaters or if the information was outdated or incorrect.

Is there anyone from the LA area who can confirm if they are currently using any of the repeaters listed there with success?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
I don't generally use the mygmrs site for local info, as much of it is outdated, but can tell you:

Mt Julio on 625 is going strong. This is the "free speech" system open to anyone and is NOT a family-friendly repeater. You will be invited to leave in no uncertain terms if you ask them to cool it, or for radio checks.

The legendary Verdugo 700 System is back but undergoing countermeasures testing currently. It should be back on the air soon and will be multi-site.

The CREST System is on 675 and working. They don't encourage chit chat really.

There is a playpen of BS on Contractors Point at 650.

Plus, the assorted Spanish Speakers on 550, 575 and 725. The "LA Echo" System is supposed to be pay to play, so there is very little traffic other than the obnoxious ID'er.

The above are all high-level systems, so if you have programmed your radios properly you shouldn't have any problem lighting them up.

kato

When I left LA in 2019, I was a user of the RUG (Repeaters Users Group). There were a few large coverage repeaters. Try and google RUG Repeater Users Group. I can't remember if there was a fee, however they want you to register as a user. I wasn't a big fan of using the system, there were ham radio haters, profanity, etc. which wasn't for me. I'm now in Tennessee and found a great group of folks on the repeaters here.

bmiller59

Premium Subscriber
@marcotor Thanks for this information! Can you provide the tone information for the repeaters you mentioned? I have tried to connect to them, but have not been able to. Also, are there any regular nets where it would be a good chance to check in and make sure my radio is set up right? Thanks!

K6GBW

You'll find that repeaters will appear and then disapear with regularity. The problem is once a repeater goes up, a bunch of whackers will start jamming it until the repeater owner gets fed up and takes it down. I use GMRS with my wife, but we've decided to just do simplex. Let drama that way.