ADS-B on 978 mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

I recently decided to branch out into SDR after following the posts in this forum. The NooElec RTL2832U/R820T dongle is up and running and using SDR# I "see" quite a bit of actvity on 1090 mhz due to being fairly close to IAD, BWI & DCA. I'm getting ready to setup my ADS-B software soon and have a question. While waiting on the dongle to arrive I was doing some research on ADS-B and found a reference that said that 978 mhz was going to be used in the US for low altitude traffic below 18000 ft. Has anybody monitored any activity on 978 or is it not yet being utilized?

D

DaveNF2G

Do some more searching. There was an extensive discussion about that issue either here or on the Yahoogroups. If the 978 requirement is ever imposed (remember, USA does not even require full ADS-B yet), it might not make much difference for the virtual radar hobby.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
I have done some looking on this too and have not found any software yet that allows for decode. If you should be so lucky as to find a program, please share it here :)

Thanks,

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin
And sorry, I should have added that it is UAT not ADS-B on 978mhz. So you won't see all the position details that you'll see with ADS-B.

I have done some looking on this too and have not found any software yet that allows for decode. If you should be so lucky as to find a program, please share it here :)

Thanks,

cleatus99

Premium Subscriber
Looking for 978 software

Using SDR# for 1090ES however can't seem to find anything setup to recieve 978UAT...

978 UAT will also transmit Aircraft Callsign/position etc.

978 is intended for lower altitude & slower aircraft....

1090ES is for the big & fast guys going up high.

978 also has ground stations that transmit other aircraft position information, Wx info reports etc. plus Wx Radar.

978 does and will have more information that 1090ES....

Also ADS-B out is mandatory (by current rule) by 2020 for all aircraft in controlled airspace (more or less)...

Status
Not open for further replies.