Amateur License Plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

I understand people's paranoia about having their call being looked up, however it is part of a public database. ANYONE with a scanner can hear you on the local repeater while you're mobile to the store and know you're not home. They could look you up and go rob your house. Oh noes! What about fellow ham operators that are also bad people, they could rob you too! Oh noes! Should the paranoid people stop giving their ID on the air because of this? As mentioned above, if you own a home your address is available just by looking up the deed records. Oh noes!!! Paranoia is not healthy.

Question to ponder, has anyone ever had their house robbed and proven that it was because of their ham radio license plate?
Not in a very long time, but back in the day, when 2 meters was popular, a certain fellow's wife took a liking to another fellow on the repeater. She would come up using her husband's callsign and the two would be chatting away. Well, sordid details omitted, the two eventually ended up running away together. Does getting robbed a wife count? :wink:

KQ9U

Now that you mention it, I would be more inclined to order veteran status plates rather than ham plates.
I worked a lot harder for those! :wink:

n9zas

I'm like you. I have veteran plates on my car and my pickup. I'd like to have my callsign on my license plate but I'd rather have the vet plates so I'm keeping them.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, get a cheap, letter-sized P.O. Box. The FCC doesn't require a street address any longer. (Neither does the MVD in Arizona, IIRC. I can't speak for any other state.) Check it once a week for any letters from the FCC.
As for the phone number, get a bare minimum landline if you don't have one, and a cheap phone with an answering machine. Or get a cheap, pay-as-you-go cell phone. Check your answering machine/voice mail once a week to see if the FCC has called you about some issue :)

KD0PEZ

I thought about having my call put on my plate, as it would come in handy to alert other hams what my call was as I'd have a sticker saying I monitor 146.520 while mobile....but then again it would be my luck someone would look me up on QRZ and find out where I live, then come by at night and steal my car. At the time I had an 87 Buick Regal T type which is still a popular car to steal after 25 years.

I thought about having my call put on my plate, as it would come in handy to alert other hams what my call was as I'd have a sticker saying I monitor 146.520 while mobile....but then again it would be my luck someone would look me up on QRZ and find out where I live, then come by at night and steal my car. At the time I had an 87 Buick Regal T type which is still a popular car to steal after 25 years.
They don't have to QRZ you do that. A few years ago, one of my kids decided she'd cut school and go to the beach one day. Oh, taking everything with you is just too clunky, so nobody will find the keys in the center console. We'll be right back. Yeah, right. 20 minutes later, the car is gone. "Hmmm, I thought I parked it right... over... there." Some skell stole the car, took all of the information in the glove box, and my chip key to another vehicle that was on the key ring (along with the house keys). The car is sold for cash on an Internet classifieds website, along with a professionally-made title (can we say someone's running a racket?). The person who bought the vehicle was detained as they went to register what was reported as a stolen vehicle. We got the vehicle back, but all personal belongings were stolen.

Fast forward one year. With the chip key and the info from the glove compartment, these mutts come back and steal yet another car - right out of my driveway - almost exactly one year later. The vehicle was recovered after it was sold for cash on that same Internet site along with a professionally-made fraudulent title (racket, anyone?), except I guess the actor felt the heat and ran off once he had cash in hand, leaving the buyer with a stolen car, an empty pocket, a fraudulent title, and a key in his hand. That vehicle was also recovered minus personal belongings.

Moral of the story: nothing is safe, ham call plate or not. Secure everything. Use steering wheel locks. They can break them off, but it won't be a quick getaway, which is what they want. In and out. Use odd screws to put your plate on. I did, and it screwed the thieves up completely. Go to a local hardware store and ask for security hardware. Disassemble the plate area and put a backer with a nylon lock nut. The more time they have to spend depersonalizing your vehicle, the less valuable it becomes to a thief. I have both APRS and commercial tracking devices on them now. Leave no personal information in the car. Make copies of anything that's needed and carry a bag or briefcase that is pulled with the driver. If anything does happen, file a report right away. The faster it's listed as stolen in the database, the better the chance it will be recovered if it's not partsed-out or put on a boat to Central America.

This was a big live-and-learn for me and none of you need to relive my mistakes. Don't let it stop you from call letter plates, if that's what you like, but be careful all around.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
They don't have to QRZ you do that. A few years ago, one of my kids decided she'd cut school and go to the beach one day. Oh, taking everything with you is just too clunky, so nobody will find the keys in the center console. We'll be right back. Yeah, right. 20 minutes later, the car is gone. "Hmmm, I thought I parked it right... over... there." Some skell stole the car, took all of the information in the glove box, and my chip key to another vehicle that was on the key ring (along with the house keys). The car is sold for cash on an Internet classifieds website, along with a professionally-made title (can we say someone's running a racket?). The person who bought the vehicle was detained as they went to register what was reported as a stolen vehicle. We got the vehicle back, but all personal belongings were stolen.

Fast forward one year. With the chip key and the info from the glove compartment, these mutts come back and steal yet another car - right out of my driveway - almost exactly one year later. The vehicle was recovered after it was sold for cash on that same Internet site along with a professionally-made fraudulent title (racket, anyone?), except I guess the actor felt the heat and ran off once he had cash in hand, leaving the buyer with a stolen car, an empty pocket, a fraudulent title, and a key in his hand. That vehicle was also recovered minus personal belongings.

Moral of the story: nothing is safe, ham call plate or not. Secure everything. Use steering wheel locks. They can break them off, but it won't be a quick getaway, which is what they want. In and out. Use odd screws to put your plate on. I did, and it screwed the thieves up completely. Go to a local hardware store and ask for security hardware. Disassemble the plate area and put a backer with a nylon lock nut. The more time they have to spend depersonalizing your vehicle, the less valuable it becomes to a thief. I have both APRS and commercial tracking devices on them now. Leave no personal information in the car. Make copies of anything that's needed and carry a bag or briefcase that is pulled with the driver. If anything does happen, file a report right away. The faster it's listed as stolen in the database, the better the chance it will be recovered if it's not partsed-out or put on a boat to Central America.

This was a big live-and-learn for me and none of you need to relive my mistakes. Don't let it stop you from call letter plates, if that's what you like, but be careful all around.

My DD had both OnStar and a APRS system. If it were ever stolen, I expect the OnStar system to be disabled but the APRS system is completely out of view. GPS sits on the dash support behind the radio, under the dash (along with the radio's nav receiver), the Motorola that powers it is under a seat and wired into the ignition so maybe it might be over looked long enough. Last resort, everything attached to the vehicle is insured.

My jeep, just has the APRS system that isn't really hidden, it's just in the back corner of the vehicle. Again, everything attached to it is covered under the insurance (though it sure would be a pain to set a jeep up like that again).

szron

Premium Subscriber
I have mine in the avatar but here's a high res pic.

sjOvbv0l.jpg

Before the "pure Michigan" design we had those

103995460_81a2a54c1e.jpg

but I lived in WA back then and had those

VzG7OfDl.jpg

It costs like 3 bucks to get those in MI.

Project25_MASTR

I have mine in the avatar but here's a high res pic.

sjOvbv0l.jpg

Before the "pure Michigan" design we had those

103995460_81a2a54c1e.jpg

but I lived in WA back then and had those

VzG7OfDl.jpg

It costs like 3 bucks to get those in MI.

Texas it's $1.50 on top of normal registration fees per vehicle (normal vanity plates run $40 or $60 more).

jim9251

I have my call sign on my Jeep. A few people have asked what School I work for. Apparently the SCL means Special Call License. Colorado is so stupid.

Attachments

• rbgp.jpg
    rbgp.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 633

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I've had this on my Jeep for years. I'm happy to show my support for amateur radio.

Attachments

• k4dps.jpg
    k4dps.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 642

CommJunkie

I have my call sign on my Jeep. A few people have asked what School I work for. Apparently the SCL means Special Call License. Colorado is so stupid.

Do zeros on CO plates normally have the line through them, or do they just do that for ham plates? Kinda cool if they just do it for ham plates.

Project25_MASTR

Colorado and Florida, can you have your call plates on multiple vehicles? Texas Radio Operator plates can be put on as many vehicles the operator owns. I've got a friend who had his old stamped plates on both his Ramcharger and Suburban…whenever a rookie officer drives by his place it always confuzzles them at first.

I've even been pulled over pulling my Jeep with my Trailblazer, both having the same license plate on them at the time and it literally confused the DPS officer.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
Arizona

We can only have the plate on one vehicle in Arizona. Here is what it look like.

Attachments

• outside 2-14.jpg
    outside 2-14.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,494
Status
Not open for further replies.