Antenna for SDS100?

Just wondering if it's worth changing the stock antenna? I have a Diamond RH77CA that I can put on with an SMA to BNC adapter. I also have the Diamond SRH77CA which is SMA stock, but it won't screw on all the way due to the radio's casing. I'm sure this would probably be an issue with other aftermarket antennas as well. I am receiving traffic with both the stock antenna, and the Diamond, but not sure how to really compare. I'm mainly listening to police/fire/ems in the Cleveland, OH area, which I guess is a mix of freqs?

Also, the REM820S looks good, and it should fit. Reviews say it's better than the stock SDS antenna. Would it be better than the longer RH77CA that I already have?

OR the 842S which is tri-band? Again, though, is it going to beat the Diamond?

Last edited:

palmerjrusa

Just wondering if it's worth changing the stock antenna? I have a Diamond RH77CA that I can put on with an SMA to BNC adapter. I also have the Diamond SRH77CA which is SMA stock, but it won't screw on all the way due to the radio's casing. I'm sure this would probably be an issue with other aftermarket antennas as well. I am receiving traffic with both the stock antenna, and the Diamond, but not sure how to really compare. I'm mainly listening to police/fire/ems in the Cleveland, OH area, which I guess is a mix of freqs?

Also, the REM820S looks good, and it should fit. Reviews say it's better than the stock SDS antenna. Would it be better than the longer RH77CA that I already have?

Those two antennas (I own both) are intended/tuned for different frequencies.

The REM820 will work better for the 800 mHz region of the RF spectrum than the Diamond antenna.

palmerjrusa

I also own the 842S, but for a dedicated 800 mHz handheld antenna the REM820S is hard to beat.

Thanks! I just realized the scanner came with an SMA to BNC connector, so I could just get the BNC version of the REM antenna. I think I'm picking up a decent number of channels with my Diamond, but would the 842 be even better? It's a tough call between the 820 and the 845. I do like to listen to things outside the 800 band, so the triband would probably be best, I suppose.

I figured out how to turn on the RSSI reading, and as I'm sitting here listening, the strength is pretty low for much of the traffic I'm recieving, like -80 to -90 dBm. I am indoors, though. I don't know what's normal. The audio sounds fine, and is intelligible, but -90 seems pretty weak.

Also, I'm noticing some of the stuff I'm listening to is in the 700 band (seems to be the higher end, like 774 for the transmission that just came in, but I'm sure it can vary).

palmerjrusa

Also, I'm noticing some of the stuff I'm listening to is in the 700 band (seems to be the higher end, like 774 for the transmission that just came in, but I'm sure it can vary).

For strong signals, the antenna won't make a difference, a paperclip would work fine. For example, the signals from my local P25 trunked system are so strong I don't need to have an antenna attached at all to get great reception.

It's the weak signals where the antenna can mean the difference between reception or no signal at all.

The filters on the SDS100/200 scanners can also make a huge difference, you just have to experiment to find out what works best.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber

Many of the public safety agencies in your area are on this system:

A few show to be using the statewide system:

So, the 820S (or the BNC version) would work well for the 700 & 800MHz frequencies used on these systems.

I do see some conventional channels listed for your county. These are Uhf.

The 820 series antennas are tuned for the 700 & 800 MHz bands. However, many of the Dallas (city) public service agencies in my area use Uhf frequencies. (Dallas has started converting to an 800 & 700MHz trunked system, but the Uhf channels are still active for now, Once the transition is complete, I suspect those will mostly go silent, though perhaps available as a backup.) The 820S & 820B antennas work reasonably well on Uhf. I have all three antennsa (820S & 820B, as well as 842S. I mostly use the 820S antenna around my home area. However, when I travel to some other areas, where there is a mix of Vhf-high users, in addition to Uhf as well as 700/800MHz, then the 842 is a better choice.

ScannerMaster has the 820S & 820B antennas in stock, @ $29.95. The same antenna, on Amazon, is sourced from Zip Scanners (as a marketplace dealer), with a price of $45.59. ScannerMaster is much cheaper on the antennas, but their shipping, via USPS Priority Mail adds $9.95. At Zip's price point, Amazon shipping would be free.

In your case, I'd lean toward the BNC version. That way, using the adapter that came with the scanner, you could use either the 820 or RH77CA, if you need to access some Vhf-high channels.

mrmann901

Premium Subscriber

I use the Remtronix 842S for all around coverage. Good on VHF/UHF and 700/800. It's much better than the stock antenna. I guess it depends on what you're listening to. I listen to railroad, air, and local public safety.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
So what is the difference between the 842S and the 843S ?

They are both 8" tri-band SMA connectors. Is the reception the same?

The only difference I see is the 843S has some sort of swivel at the base.

I guess it's so can lay you scanner prone and adjust the antenna to stay upright.

Thanks !

a417

So what is the difference between the 842S and the 843S ?

They are both 8" tri-band SMA connectors. Is the reception the same?

The only difference I see is the 843S has some sort of swivel at the base.

I guess it's so can lay you scanner prone and adjust the antenna to stay upright.

Thanks !
I have the 843S. The articulation point has a detent to do 0 - 45 - 90deg angles. Reception is basically the same as the 842S.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Where can I purchase the SMA to BNC adapter. OEM or otherwise (prefer the OEM)?

The adapter is shown as "Out of stock" at Scanner Master.

I know "jonweinke" used to sell a version of the adapter, but he has all but disappeared from the forum/web.

Thanks

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Where can I purchase the SMA to BNC adapter. OEM or otherwise (prefer the OEM)?

The adapter is shown as "Out of stock" at Scanner Master.

I know "jonweinke" used to sell a version of the adapter, but he has all but disappeared from the forum/web.

Thanks
Currently, the Uniden adapter shows as 'in stock' at Bearcat Warehouse.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Amazon has them too.
I'd be wary of the ones on Amazon. Most of them look like an adapter usable on the 436HP & earlier scanners. Those would screw down on top of the scanner's case, not making a good solid connection to the antenna connector on the scanner itself. The Uniden adapter, BYYG1687001, has a trimmed down SMA connector that will reach down into the radio's case & preserve it's water-resistant case, None of the ones on Amazon match up to that Uniden part number.

Brales60

Premium Subscriber
I'd be wary of the ones on Amazon. Most of them look like an adapter usable on the 436HP & earlier scanners. Those would screw down on top of the scanner's case, not making a good solid connection to the antenna connector on the scanner itself. The Uniden adapter, BYYG1687001, has a trimmed down SMA connector that will reach down into the radio's case & preserve it's water-resistant case, None of the ones on Amazon match up to that Uniden part number.
I didn't buy one Steve, just saw it. I normally search big before pulling the trigger for myself.