• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 Forced Narrowband?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Good question. I'm not actually sure what the FCC rule on the T-band waiver is. In scanning the waiver order, it's clear that T-band systems don't have to go narrow, but it isn't clear that the waiver applies to equipment sold after January 1. It would certainly be odd if systems were allowed to stay wideband but new equipment wasn't permitted, but I can't find any language in the waiver order about this. (Perhaps it's in there but I missed it; I just scanned the order).

It's in there, right in the first paragraph.

I. INTRODUCTION
1. In this Order, we waive, on our own motion, the January 1, 2013 deadline for private land mobile radio (PLMR) licensees in the 470-512 MHz band to migrate to narrowband (12.5 kHz or narrower) technology.1 We also waive a related rule pertaining to manufacture and importation of PLMR equipment. We take this action in light of recent legislation directing the Commission to reallocate spectrum in the 470-512 MHz band.

In addition, we waive the January 1, 2013 deadline which cuts off the manufacture or importation of equipment capable of operating with only one voice path per 25 kHz of spectrum in the 470-512 MHz band. We conclude that prohibiting the manufacture or import of equipment capable of operating in 25 kHz mode could effectively prevent existing 470-512 MHz band systems from replacing or adding radios during the waiver period, which would hamper interoperability between systems (or different parts of the same system) that are at different stages of the narrowbanding conversion.17 It would be contrary to the public interest to prevent licensees from keeping 25 kHz systems in full working

PJH

Premium Subscriber
^What he said

T-Band is essentially going bye-bye anyways (pending the FCC changing its mind) so in the long term, its really a mute point.

As far as the radios themselves go, its only a couple of bits in the firmware and software to allow the change. Its not like you need to competley rewrite the software.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
^What he said

T-Band is essentially going bye-bye anyways (pending the FCC changing its mind) so in the long term, its really a mute point.

It's hardly a *moot point to those that were facing millions of dollars worth of narrowbanding expenses. 10 years is not an insignificant amount of time, and for those agencies that choose not to narrowband their T-Band equipment, it's important that they can buy 25 kHz hardware for the next decade.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you make it sound as if the T-Band waivers are trivial, and you come across as somewhat dismissive about it.

Anyway, back on topic. :wink:

TrunkLatcher

Info on Q53 Dongle?

@blaze: Thanks for the info on why they put that notice. That answers my question about that. However, I am still wondering if someone could give me the part number and price for the Q53 dongle and/or a picture. That would be a big help. I just want to know whether it is fat like a audio adapter or more slim. Thanks all for your insight.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
@blaze: Thanks for the info on why they put that notice. That answers my question about that. However, I am still wondering if someone could give me the part number and price for the Q53 dongle and/or a picture. That would be a big help. I just want to know whether it is fat like a audio adapter or more slim. Thanks all for your insight.

NNTN7526A, list price $37.

It's fat like an audio adapter. (It seems to BE an audio connector, actually - exactly the same shape as on the speaker mic and the programming cable).

I'm sure they could make this slimmer if they wanted to, but I presume they just used the existing connector shell.

I'll post a photo when get home and to a camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.