ARC-XT: fixing mixed bag systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtown

I don't want to bash ARC-XT at this point, but there are editing features found in almost all text editors and in spreadsheets that just don't exist in ARC-XT. As such, I need help to solve a common problem I experience. When I retrieve frequencies from RR under a city title (e.g., "Monterey"), I get a mixed bag of frequencies for all types of service types (e.g.; police, public works, community services, etc.). My goal is strip out and move frequencies into systems or groups of similar types. I must cut of contiguous rows of frequencies from the channel editor of one group and paste into the desired location. If I make a mistake, I'm screwed as there is no "undo" command (so I don't cut, but I copy, meaning that I've got to go back and delete those copied rows). But moreover, the work is made more tedious because I can't make an extended selection across non adjacent rows (as other editors, do by using the cntrl key+click). Having done this work, I'm left with a lot of empty rows which I can't delete, nor cause following rows to move up to compress the channel editor table. What I really want to do is to use the browse window to copy or move frequencies of one group to another (which I can't because no editing is permitted in the browse window. How do others solve the problem I'm experiencing?

Another problem I face is deleting whole systems. The only way I know of doing this is to down load all systems except the system(s) I want to delete to the scanner, and then turn around, and upload to the computer the systems I've stored on the scanner (ARC reverses the meaning of upload and download here). Then I quick save the mess into a default location. When I want to restart, ARC requires me to sort on date and one-by-one load each system I want since I can't do extended selections for loading into the browser window. What a hassle. There must be a better way that I'm missing. How do others do this?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.