• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

BaoFeng BF-888 S+

Status
Not open for further replies.

baltimorecs

Not all of them are. Only the ones with a FCC ID label, and its still illegal to used them out of the box on the preprogrammed frequencies.

True but that was not what was being talked about. The statement was that the 888 was not legal for any frequencies except ham and my was just pointing out that statement was not really correct.

HansiMan

Range problem

Hi Guys:
I bought a pair of these 888's and started to do some testing with them.
I am trying them on 446 in a concrete building and i cannot compete with the range of a Motorola TLKR T8.
What am i doing wrong? The T8's are only 500mW units, and this 888s is theoretically outputting 1.6W.
Any heads up, would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The stock Baofeng antenna is not very good. Try a different antenna, like the Nagoya 771 or 701 if the 771 is too long/bulky.

Elfnetdesigns

In my past experiences with the 888's, at least the ones I had, they all had very deaf receivers, took over 5/10 uV to open them up with no PL/DPL in place.. Normally a radio will open up @ 2/10 uV with a PL/DPL in place.

I think it's a gamble on this models and where you buy them from..

KB0VWG

I pulled up that eBay offer. There's a thumb's up and American flag in the picture with the radios. I think they're trying to imply that the radios are made in this country. Not a chance. Furthermore, they don't know how to spell "channels."

I dont see the flag but it is a US seller but they are not made here. I just bought 5 of them will see how well they are when they arrive.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure they'll work just fine but, as I've said before in this forum, these radios are like Bic lighters or Chinese motor scooters. When they break, you throw them away because you can't fix 'em.

Elfnetdesigns

I dont see the flag but it is a US seller but they are not made here. I just bought 5 of them will see how well they are when they arrive.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

US seller mis-spelled Channels xD

Question? Why buy so many at once? I can see if your a business looking for radios to use around a warehouse or something... But to test and use for ham radio isn't 5 radios a bit overkill ??
I'm just curious is all.

KB0VWG

For family

US seller mis-spelled Channels xD

Question? Why buy so many at once? I can see if your a business looking for radios to use around a warehouse or something... But to test and use for ham radio isn't 5 radios a bit overkill ??
I'm just curious is all.

Hmm family use on Gmrs frequencies.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

khaytsus

I'm sure they'll work just fine but, as I've said before in this forum, these radios are like Bic lighters or Chinese motor scooters. When they break, you throw them away because you can't fix 'em.

Nor would you fix any other radio for $12.

Abb0

Premium Subscriber
Hey team,

I have 2 BF-888s radios. Using CHIRP I can read and program the channels with no problem. The problem is with the Baofeng software. Once programmed (with CHIRP) I can read the radio with the Baofeng software but I can't change anything e.g. I want to change the language to English but can't. It appears to program but nothing changes. Using the same programming cable I can program a UV-5R with no problems at all.
I've tried the "pressing the top ornge button while turning it on" trick and it does give a short beep when I do this but still no joy in regard to programming it.
Any ideas as to what might the problem? If not I'll use as it is.

Thanks
Paul

rbarker

Robert
To get the Baofeng BF-888S EX to SCAN, using the 888S PC software, I got the program cable and left Ch 16 blank. Is that correct?
Then on the software I unchecked the FM Func and checked the Scan Func. So it will scan when I'm on ch 16.
It does seem to be doing that and the green LED at the top is blinking or flickering, (it only does it on ch 16 which has no freq programmed in)
Do I have to uncheck the FM Func? why can't it do both?
Do I have to leave Ch 16 blank for the Scan to work

billwilliams

bf888s plus

I just received six of the BF888S + radios, I am unable to program them with the BF888S programming software. I have six of the BF888S radios that i have had for some time. it shows that it is wrighting to the radio, but when i read it, there is nothing, any ideas ?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps the + model requires different software.

rbarker

Robert
Be sure you follow the sequence of turning the radio off. Unplug the cable. then plug it back in and turn the radio back on for each radio. Also try the CHIRP software.

Status
Not open for further replies.