Bayfield County Sheriff frequency with BCD436HP scanner

KnotMe

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden Bearcat BCD436HP handheld scanner. I've read the instructions, paid to join this website, read the newbie section and downloaded/use the Sentinel Software. I've added Bayfield County and Ashland County, WI and wrote them to my SD card. When I listen to the scanner it only picks up Ashland County and a few frequencies used by Bayfield County, but not the actual Sheriff Dispatch. I know its on WISCOM. I also notice that when I listen to the scanner radio app on my phone it picks up Ashland & Bayfield County. Is there something obvious that I'm doing wrong?
Thanks!

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Did you make a favorites list for the counties? If you did you will also need to add WISCOM to the list. Try looking for the closest site to you and adding the WISCOM talkgroups.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Where is the sheriff? Conventional freq or trunked system? Looked at both and do not see Sheriff listed.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
When I listen to the scanner it only picks up Ashland County and a few frequencies used by Bayfield County, but not the actual Sheriff Dispatch.
The "Law Dispatch" service type should be turned on by default so unless you turned it off I'd rule this out as a possibility. However "Law Talk" is not turned on by default so this will need to be enabled if you wish to scan "Law 2" and "Law 3"

245015fb5DBALAW1Bayfield County Law 1Law Dispatch
245025fb6DBALAW2Bayfield County Law 2Law Talk
245035fb7DBALAW3Bayfield County Law 3Law Talk

KnotMe

Premium Subscriber
Did you make a favorites list for the counties? If you did you will also need to add WISCOM to the list. Try looking for the closest site to you and adding the WISCOM talkgroups.
Thanks, I did add WISCOM. Using Sentinel takes a bit of a learning curve. I need to see how to turn some of the features on.

KnotMe

Premium Subscriber
They are on WISCOM under Bayfield County. Everyone uses the BALAW talkgroups.
Thanks, I'm looking at that and trying to understand the terminology and figure out how that matches up with terms using sentinel. "Talkgroups" is something I cannot locate.

KnotMe

Premium Subscriber
The "Law Dispatch" service type should be turned on by default so unless you turned it off I'd rule this out as a possibility. However "Law Talk" is not turned on by default so this will need to be enabled if you wish to scan "Law 2" and "Law 3"

245015fb5DBALAW1Bayfield County Law 1Law Dispatch
245025fb6DBALAW2Bayfield County Law 2Law Talk
245035fb7DBALAW3Bayfield County Law 3Law Talk
Thanks, I'm still trying to locate that tab in Sentinel which shows me the information similar to what you posted.

tvengr

Well Known Member
"Talkgroups" is something I cannot locate.
A talkgroup on a trunked system has a talkgroup ID (TGID) and alpha tag (Name). It is equivalent to a frequency or channel on a conventional system. On a conventional system, you receive the frequencies directly. On a trunked system, the frequencies go into a site or sites and you receive the talkgroups programmed. A conventional frequency has a specific use. For example: 154.19 is Fire Dispatch. On a trunked system, the frequencies in a site are shared by all of the talkgroups.

KnotMe

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I would like to thank everyone who offered assistance to me. I was finally able to get the scanner transmitting the frequencies. I erased the information on my SD card and started out adding Bayfield County first using the information you provided and made sure the talk groups service types were changed to "on". After monitoring this for a few days I then added additional groups from my local area. Thanks again!