BCD396T and BCD996T Updates are Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Que Pasa?

Did I accidentally press "2" somewhere?
Seriously, I think it's great that someone is willing to help other scanner enthusiasts in another language they can speak.

It has certainly helped me brush up on high school Spanish by reading the thread!

JimmyTann

BCD996T Firmware Update

I have never updated the scanner since I purchased it.

Were there any earlier updates?

Can I go directly to the 2.0.0.3 update?

garikfox

I have never updated the scanner since I purchased it.

Were there any earlier updates?

Can I go directly to the 2.0.0.3 update?

The 2.0.0.3 is the Updater that updates the scanner using a .scr file. The current is 2.00.07 which is above the 2.0.0.3 updater on the uniden download screen.

I would do it if I was you. :)

Last edited:

kb0nhx

Garbled P-25 audio on Independence, MO and St. Joseph, MO 700/800 Mhz systems

Good afternoon,

I have 10 of these units deployed on the St. Joseph, MO P25 800 Mhz digital system and 25 on the 700 MHz Independence, MO P25 system.

The officers continually complain of "garbled" audio, which I have experienced myself.

All scanners have v2.00.06 firmware installed, which I hoped would fix the problem, but it didn't.

I have played with adjusting the P25 threshold; tried the default "auto", tried setting it to 5 and 7 and 1 with no luck. It did seem to be better with the lower setting of 1, but still having problems.

What am I overlooking? The signal seems to fluctuate quite a bit, even in town. We are simply using VHF quarter wave antennas for our scanners. I am wondering if a good 700/800 MHz antenna might solve the problem if all program settings are good. The signal will fluctuate on a stationary car from full scale down to one or 2 bars. The other unknown is I programmed all the frequencies into one site. I'm wondering if I put them in at different sites if that might help.

I e-mailed Uniden's customer support with no luck, hoping you can help me here.

Thank you,

James Adkins, KB0NHX
Technical Field Engineer
Missouri State Highway Patrol
Lee's Summit, MO (Troops A &H)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Can't find a St. Jo P25 system in the DB.

I haven't seen reports on either system, though. However, if you are seeing a change in performance when you change the P25 setting, then something else is going on. Per the release notes for v2.00.06, that setting now does nothing at all.

If the v1.x Auto start value was >10, then you might see some improvement using the beta firmware v2.01.01 which you can get by entering the system info in the database on the unidenflash Yahoo! group.

EDIT: Found the Buchanan County system which I suspect is the one you meant.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Good afternoon,

I have 10 of these units deployed on the St. Joseph, MO P25 800 Mhz digital system and 25 on the 700 MHz Independence, MO P25 system.

The officers continually complain of "garbled" audio, which I have experienced myself.

Are these simulcast systems? Good luck if so - you're gonna need it. Especially mobile.

EDIT: I'll add this, yes try using an antenna specifically designed for 700 Mhz. It certainly couldn't hurt.

-AZ

kb0nhx

Garbled P25 audio

You are correct, it is the Buchanan county system.

One thing I did on the way back to the KC area today from St. Joseph was I went into the P25 threshold and set it from auto to manual. I noticed the problem seemed to get better if I kept the squelch at level 1; however it makes it hard to listen to Analog channels without PL tones as any little spurt opens squelch.

The squelch adjustment didn't seem to help on the City of Independence, MO system, however. I will try a download of the new beta version 2.01 and see if that helps any.

And yes, these are both simulcast systems. If that is a problem, would it help to program the system with the proper frequencies for each site? Why do simulcast systems pose a problem? Would using the NMEA input and a GPS help this issue?

Thanks,

kb0nhx

More garbled audio questions

If the v1.x Auto start value was >10, then you might see some improvement using the beta firmware v2.01.01 which you can get by entering the system info in the database on the unidenflash Yahoo! group.

I do not understand the above. What is v1.x? The original Firmware? How do I find out what the start value is/was?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
v1.x is the original firmware.

You would have had to note the value you optimized to before updating (although the backup copy you made of the scanner's programming prior to the update would also have retained that value).

kb0nhx

Bcd996

Okay, we did run the scanners for a short time with the v1.x firmware, but the P25 threshold was left on auto, it was never "optimized" manually.

Would the upgrade help or what other advice do you have.

Thanks,

James Adkins, KB0NHX

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey there, i just looked for the updates that were `sposed to be availible, but i don`t see `em. is/was there a new one that just came out (UpMan mentiones something about a version 2.00.14, sorry if i got that wrong), is this true? Just looked on My Uniden and it`s not there. What`s up? Thanks! N9NRA P.S. The one i have now is 2.00.07. Any thoughts? Thanks!

garikfox

Hey there, i just looked for the updates that were `sposed to be availible, but i don`t see `em. is/was there a new one that just came out (UpMan mentiones something about a version 2.00.14, sorry if i got that wrong), is this true? Just looked on My Uniden and it`s not there. What`s up? Thanks! N9NRA P.S. The one i have now is 2.00.07. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I would assume it will be out soon, UPMan is doing a "Superb" job ! :)

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Hey thanks! i too am sure it will be there soon, i just wish they (Uniden) would make the update processes more streamlined, or am i asking too much of them to do something that would actually help the users of their scanners, getting the updates is now about as much fun as trying to pull a bus :D. Besides, i`d probably have better luck with the bus anyway, it`s not a computer. (chuckles politely). N9NRA

garikfox

Hey thanks! i too am sure it will be there soon, i just wish they (Uniden) would make the update processes more streamlined, or am i asking too much of them to do something that would actually help the users of their scanners, getting the updates is now about as much fun as trying to pull a bus :D. Besides, i`d probably have better luck with the bus anyway, it`s not a computer. (chuckles politely). N9NRA

Try waiting for a SCSI Card firmware, I've been waiting since 2004, LoL :)

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Now THAT`S a long time to have to wait for a update to some hardware! Me thinks it must be Microsoft...big suprise eh? NOT!! :) LOL! N9NRA

donjk42

Bcd996t

i recently bought the bcd 996t,and havent downloaded anything on it yet,to my understanding the bc_vup is thr first program to download,well downloaded it ,win ziped it to get on pc and now it wont open on pc any help folks muchly appreciated,im running a vista if that helps any

donjk42

bcd996t

its on my pc,will not open file,tells me to enter scanner firmware file,i do do and nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.