Alinco: DR-CS25T Review

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I've never done any work on the 1.25m band, so I decided to go all in and pick up a mobile transceiver. I didn't think this would be as hard as it was but the fact is, there are not many choices at the moment. I did see a Kenwood TM-331A on the usual auction site but it was priced high. There was another from outside the USA but its price was also quite high.

For new radios, I could only find a couple of options, but I wanted quality gear, so I chose the 50w Alinco DR-CS25T. As you can see from my picture, its physical design is compact and lightweight. The buttons and controls are arranged fairly well. The push & hold power button is good but the mic barrel can inhibit the press depending on the angle of your finger. I really didn't think it'd be a problem but (after mounting) it started to become a little annoying.

[Beware of the multi-band mobile transceiver. Most of them do NOT provide full power output on 1.25m]

I have the transceiver plugged into a ESP-12 Uniden speaker. It's a no-frill speaker but it can output pretty good sound. It's approximately 6 feet behind me in my SUV's trunk area. The CS-25 does a few things really well (and some not so well) but let's focus on the good. The audio quality is excellent! I am very impressed with the audio quality. Frankly, it makes the annoying issues fade away very quickly into the back of the mind.

I had a brief simplex QSO and while the other party was running only 5w, we talked as if out vehicles were side-by-side. (He was approximately 5 miles to the W-SW of my location.) The audio was crisp and very clear. Whomever did the audio tuning should get a pay raise. (Note the audio sounds great using internal or external speaker.)

One of my pet peeves about mobile rigs is the microphone. A bad microphone can really ruin the overall experience. I was very nervous about the Alinco microphone (given its appearance) but thankfully this was completely unfounded. It works very well and has one of the best PTT switches on the market. Its cable can be slightly annoying -- I think it's just tight and needs to get some use -- but the force of the cable can twist the mic body. So it kind of fights you some times. The Kenwood mic in the picture is the best microphone I've ever used.

The other key positive to this rig is its overall function. It does work and seems to perform well. Getting the radio to that state can be a challenge but overall it's not that bad. It just takes some patience. (Not my strong suit.)

One note about programming. It requires a USB to microphone cable and while Alinco offered a cable for sale, they don't any longer. You have two choices: build your own OR purchase a high-quality cable from RT Systems. (I did the later for just over $30.) You probably won't need it very much but it does make adding text much easier. I finished my codeplug of about 36 entries in an hour.

I'll sum this up to say that while the DR-CS25T is priced around $260 -- it should be sold for no more than $175-ish -- however its excellent audio makes up for it.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

Positives: Excellent design/shape. Good placement of controls and buttons. 50w output. Excellent audio quality.
Negatives: User/menu interface. A lot of disabled features/options. Alinco CPS CS-25 programming software has too many QA issues (but it never crashed.) Requires USB to Mic programming cable -- despite USB micro rear port.

PS. I read somewhere that this specific transceiver was/is sold as a commercial unit by someone. This is evident everywhere as many features are disabled by Alinco as they didn't even bother to remove the text labels from the microphone. Lazy manufacturing but it was likely a cost-cutting decision.

Attachments

• cs25.jpg
    cs25.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 29

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
Quick follow-up. I had a couple of questions posed about my review.

I'm using a NMO magnet mount with the Laird BB132 antenna. I cut it to 225 Mhz. The SWR ended up being 1.054 @ 223.0 Mhz so I was fortunate to be spot on. The mount is HYS from Amazon. It's cheap but it works pretty well for being a 3" magnet. It does have the boot on it to prevent roof scratches.

As for programming, I programmed 36 entries with callsigns and freq info. I then set it to CH-NAME mode which displays the text only. (In this case, the callsigns of the repeaters.) When powering on the unit, it has my M-CH 0 displayed. I simply hit P1 to start scanning and it goes cycles the memories. My M-CH 0 entry is the default simplex channel of 223.50 Mhz. The rest are all repeaters.

Probably the only thing lacking is a 'mute' function during scan. It'd be nice to silence a channel and continue scanning.

kny2xb

PS. I read somewhere that this specific transceiver was/is sold as a commercial unit by someone. This is evident everywhere as many features are disabled by Alinco as they didn't even bother to remove the text labels from the microphone. Lazy manufacturing but it was likely a cost-cutting decision.
That may have been me, I've been an Alinco aficionado for a few years now

On the Alinco web site, there is a DR-CS10 VHF mobile that covers 136-174 MHz for the Indonesian market, it looks like Alinco modded that model to a 2 Meter rig with expanded receive for the US market, Alinco didn't change the model number

I just downloaded the CPS, it looks like you can change the operating frequencies through the software
Too bad there isn't a DR-CS40 for UHF, I suggested that to Raj at Remtronix

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
I just downloaded the CPS, it looks like you can change the operating frequencies through the software
Nope, I tried doing that when I first programmed. It wouldn't let me write to the radio unless I chose the limited frequency range model.

kny2xb

Nope, I tried doing that when I first programmed. It wouldn't let me write to the radio unless I chose the limited frequency range model.
I mistyped/misspoke when I posted, I meant to say that I downloaded the CPS for the DR-CS10 model, not the DR-CS25
Now I wonder if Alinco "limited" the DR-CS10 also

I apologize for not clarifying my post better, that's on me:oops: