• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dual Capacity Direct Mode/CC15

adampearson84

I'm a bench tech at a Moto shop and I'm trying to match programming from a Kenwood NX-1300NU to a Moto radio so they can talk to an existing fleet. I grabbed frequencies, talkgroup ID, color code, and still couldn't get the Kenwood to talk to my Mototrbo R7- light comes on of course, but doesn't open up. Then I noticed that Dual Capacity Direct Mode is on in the Kenwood on every channel (even the repeaters?) The issue is that they also have the color code set to 15; Moto CPS won't even let me match that, it is reserved for something else when using DCDM, or something like that - so the only valid choice while having DCDM on for a color code is 0 through 14. Does that make the programming essentially unmatchable, since Kenwood seems to have no problem with that? I've been thumbing through codeplugs for a while now and I've never even had any need to mess with DCDM. I can provide more info if I know what is pertinent.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Dual Mode seems to be defaulted on in Kenwood software (D1N, D3N, etc.). Has caused issues for several people, including myself, who don't catch to uncheck that box in the software at first.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
If the moto is not using DSDM, then unchecked it on the kenwoods.

Haven't seen the dsdm on M not use 15. What's the help file say?

adampearson84

DJ0WH's blog put it most simply: "On simplex channels which employ DCDM, colour code 15 is reserved for inter-radio synchronization signaling - so only 0 to 14 may be used on systems that use this feature." At least on Moto side this is reserved to determine the timing leader, is what that sounds like to me. I thought someone might know what the matching quirk is on the Kenwood side. Having to retouch their whole Kenwood fleet, I don't even know if that's something on the table.

Last edited:

wd8chl

Yeah, I've run into that too. Motorola doesn't support CC 15 with dual slot direct mode, or their version of it. No, it doesn't seem like there's a fix for it. There's a lot of things in DMR that Motorola doesn't implement very well, and it causes problems.
In the case I had, I just had to tell the customer that that channel on their radios won't work because of the way Motorola implemented that feature. It was only one of 16 channels in the radios, and that was the only one that didn't work. (Part of the problem is they had us program the radios without having one of their motorolas in hand to test at first.)
Like was said, if Moto isn;t using it, turn it off on the Kenwoods.