Edmonton, what a storm,

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
10:00 PM all fire working channels busy handling calls, down power lines, trees building collapse...

10:19 Sherwood Park RCMP report Funnel cloud east of City Semi Trailer blown off road hiway, flipped major power outages, down trees, what a mess around Edmonton

10:36 Epcor report more than 100 downed power lines, thousands with no power in Edmonton

10:38 Fire report heat exchanger blown off roof of commerical building, gas line now venting gas

10:44 Sherwood Park RCMP report marble size hail damaging cruisers

10:45 EPS report damage to patrol car from large hail near downtown Edmonton

10:55 RCMP Sherwood Park detachment damaged by storm, siding blown off

10:52 Golf ball size hail near Edmonton Northlands

10:50 RCMP report Entire Town of Sherwood Park has no power

11:20 Strom pretty much passed over, Many power lines still down, many roads blocked by down trees, Hundreds of traffic barricades blown around. Strthcona county most rural roads blocked by down trees and debris.
Around the neighbourhood, just about every Canbana or gazebo blown down or ripped apart, and I now have a trampoline, now sure where it came from, I am missing all my lawn chairs

Last edited:

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Weather radar sure painted a dangerous picture! I wonder if there were storms warnings [not watches] issued in Edmonton well ahead of when the weather hit? As normal for Alberta, a lot of weather forecasting comes out of Manitoba. They seem to rely too much on radar and not people on the ground before, during and after! Warnings are usually issued after the fact. I take it Edmonton doesn't have Hail Suppresion as does Olds south to High River has?

omrail

thank you brechtd.

robertmac i do not think that we have Hail Suppresion. but we don't get the hail like the south.

HDMechanic

Brechtd

Did ya find your lawn chairs yet??? Hope you enjoy your new trampoline.LOL. Did anyone get any pictures or now where you can see some at. Man that sound like it was quite the storm.

SCPD

QRT
I did see a lawn chair in a field near my place ... it was green. :wink: It seems the area that got hit the worst was the south side near the University / Whyte ave area. I know one RR member lost his tree in his front yard. This was a 50 foot tree .. and now is just good for fire wood. No damage to his house. Ripped it right out of the ground.

electricsheep

I did see a lawn chair in a field near my place ... it was green. :wink: It seems the area that got hit the worst was the south side near the University / Whyte ave area. I know one RR member lost his tree in his front yard. This was a 50 foot tree .. and now is just good for fire wood. No damage to his house. Ripped it right out of the ground.

Yeah I am still cleaning up. Should be done by...today maybe, if the little teenage goons actually show or not and don't just go longboarding all day. It's too bad too because that's one of the trees on my property I had planned on using as a leg for my 80m dipole.

Missed my house by about four inches! It's kinda sad because that tree was one of the reasons I really liked this house when I bought it, the tree was planted in 1954.

The tree was 62 feet 8 inches, as measured from the roots that were ripped up to the neighbours sidewalk that it covered. And the trunk was too big to get your arms around. Four chainsaws working 11 hours to cut it up. In the end I gave away about 20 wheelbarrows of wood, and kept about eight for myself.

Not how I had planned on spending my days before working night shift.

SCPD

QRT
I can say that the tree in MatteBlack's front yard was the biggest tree that I saw down in my travels in the Edmonton area.

The loss of it as an end for your antenna really sucks ... it would have done a fine job. But guess you just need a tower now. :cool:

SCPD

QRT
Brechtd

Did ya find your lawn chairs yet??? Hope you enjoy your new trampoline.LOL. Did anyone get any pictures or now where you can see some at. Man that sound like it was quite the storm.

Thanks for asking!! I got my lawn chairs back, found 4 houses down. The owner of the trampoline came to claim it but did'nt want it after he realized it was total loss.

Millions of dollars of damage in Edmonton just to property, Damaged or destroyed building, signs, sheds, bbq's, sat dishes, gazebo roofs, cars with hail damage....

I did notice Telus's Santa Rosa Road or Sands Hotel Antenna tower top section is now leaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.