emergency communications vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoser147

Since 9/11 and Katrina, the Federal dollars have been flowing, and most area's of the country now have very well setup Emergency Comms Vehicles. Whether its a truck Motorhome or trailer. For most future disasters these are readily available to be deployed. And can more than easily handle emergency comms. Transportation is not a issue either, there are tons of buses and the like to handle that area of the situation. Im sure a crown Vic is going to do nothing in a disaster. Look at katrina, there were parking areas full of real emergency response vehicles of all types staged. The Ham radio clubs have a place assisting the Red Cross and similar organizations, and are a great means of putting people in touch with their families and letting them know that they are ok thru the situation. There really is no need to have a line off civilian vehicles clogging up the roadway in or out of a situation. With that said I agree join and organization and do it right or stay out of the way. Hoser

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
clinton-1.jpg

Tommahawk said:
I have read the beginning of the thread and the first thing that came to mind is a 17 or 18 year old kid that wants to impress his friends, or to impress upon others that he is important.
When I was 18 or 19 years old the big thing in a police cruiser was a Dodge Diplomat. Boy did I ever want one of them, but then I learned a few things about them... Bad gas mileage, heavily abused and smelled like you were sitting in a ashtray.

Just do yourself a favor and buy a used 4wd, like a Tahoe or something like that. A lot more comfortable and easier to have sex with the girlfriend in........

bestfriends.jpg

Above picture was taken at a recent New Years Eve get together. For all of you hams confused as to what a girl looks like see the above pictures. If I were this ham wanting a Crown Vic, I would drop that plan in favor of the above.....

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The guy who started the thread is from a southern town in CT...which, is more than capable of handling "emergenices" in the area. In fact, there is quite a bit of help should the "big one" hit that farm town from just about any direction. The Department of Public Safety for the state is just up the road (who happens to have 2 very large comm vehicles with their own trunking controllers and gateways).

He is also in a trooper patrolled town, and the troopers take a very keen eye to look alike vehicles. For those who do not know, the CSP patrol vehicles are all unmarked, excpect for their removable lightbars. He would be taken care of very quickly.

elk2370bruce

Back to some basic questions. First, have you signed up to become a member of your local/county RACES/ARES? If not, do so first and become a part of the organized response where you (as a resource) have clearly stated goals, roles, and tasks. Your own assumptions may not be reality based. Why waste all that time and money to set up a resource that might not be desired in the larger scope of things. Second, get trained through your Emergency Management organization and a lot of your questions will be answered. The "Lone Wolf McQuade" approach is not a viable alternative. Emcomm is not about fancy vehicles and flashing lights and that just gives us a bad name as wackers; and there are some of these independant operators out there who do us no good. There is a place for any amateur radio operator in community prepardness -- as a member of a coordinated and disciplined team not as an indepdendant happy wanderer. Besides, if you are not part of the team of authorized responders, you'll never get past security and will wind up being locked up by the Incident Commander. Lose the idea of lights and your own four wheeled toy. Its not the way that we become accepted as a viable member of the response organization.

Last edited:

wb0qqk

Premium Subscriber
If you want to "respond" then join an orgainization that is supposed to respond.
Showing up with a POV full of radios and emergency equipment is useless unless
it is incorporated into the Incident Command at the scene you're responding to.

Get rid of your fantasy, grow up, be an adult and become a solution, not a problem.

hypersight

Why does it have to be a crown vic? How about a mini van or something? You can stuff a lot more equipment in a minivan or a regular van.

Ebenge

Premium Subscriber
Very much so

res6cue_dot_com said:
Oh good Lord, some of you buffs/whackers will just NEVER get it, will you? Keep living in your fantasyland where you believe your PD lookalike whackermobiles chock full of ham radios and "emergency preparedness equipment" is actually welcomed by those of us who actually work in emergency services. Anyone who defends this type of questionable behavior has no clue either, so keep crying and whining about "guys like me" who "put you down" all you want. People who REALLY want to help don't act like wannabees, they go about things the correct way, which often includes volunteering for your local FD, EMS or OEM agency. :roll:

And to the guy from...INDIANA, was it?...who claims to have firsthand knowledge of these whackermobiles being "essential" in the city during 9/11...HAHAHAHA sure, if that's what you want to believe, you go right ahead! :lol:

PS - My feelings have nothing to do with hams in general, or guys who go about things the correct way. I have a problem with the buffs/whackers/wannabees that often times do us more harm than good.

I can not agree more. I have been in emergency services for 14 years and we have never called upon these types of people to help us. In fact one of the so mentioned cause a bigger problem by crashing his own car into a light pole trying to be some kind of wannabee hero.

jpalm

kb1oar said:
I am a ham operator and was thinking about buying a crown vic. for my personal car and wanted to make it in to a emergency communications vehicle. i want to put radios,gps,computer,amber lights,ect. do you think police would give me a hard time ?

Well, an emergency communications vehicle.
Crown Victoria - red flag for me.
Lights - why do you need lights?
Uniform - Maybe you just forgot that or you already have it.
Response to this - won't get one as since throwing out the bait,
you haven't responded to one post.

Some good advice has been given on this thread. Showing up at an incident uninvited in a vehicle like this would be useless. Join a club, get trained in RACES and take part when you are asked to. The Crown Vic tells me that you want it to look like a police car. Not a good idea for a lot of reasons not to mention the gas bill will kill you. Go with a smallish 4wd and lose the lights.

kb1oar

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I will probbley get something with 4x4, eather a suv ro truck. and i will lose the lights. thanks for the help.

mjthomas59

So 2 people say its a great idea and 20 say it is ridiculous and will get you into trouble. So you go for it? I don't see how people convince themselves into stupidity... especially with almost no support from anyone who answered the original inquiry.

Apparently the HAM tests aren't hard enough

K9JLR

kb1oar said:
I am a ham operator and was thinking about buying a crown vic. for my personal car and wanted to make it in to a emergency communications vehicle. i want to put radios,gps,computer,amber lights,ect. do you think police would give me a hard time ?

To answer your original question, without a doubt - YES.

I don't care how much certification you have and I don't really think it matters what your intent is. I don't even think it matters one bit if your CV is squeeky clean and 100% street legal.

If a civilian is driving a car that could be easily mistaken for a police cruiser, then you are going to have problems from the LE community. This type of behavior is heavily frowned upon in the LE community. I would imagine that you will be hassled to the point that you would just want to get rid of the car or basically strip it clean. It's happened before and it will continue to happen to those who are perceived by the LE community as impersonators and/or whackers.

Please read these threads on Officer.com:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76889&highlight=crown+vics

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78461&highlight=crown+vics

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72915&highlight=scanners

zz0468

QRT
Banned
mjthomas59 said:
So 2 people say its a great idea and 20 say it is ridiculous and will get you into trouble. So you go for it? I don't see how people convince themselves into stupidity... especially with almost no support from anyone who answered the original inquiry.

Apparently the HAM tests aren't hard enough

And apparently some people can't read... *eye roll*

kb1oar said:
I will probbley get something with 4x4, eather a suv ro truck. and i will lose the lights. thanks for the help.

I'm glad to see you listened to reason. The advice to get involved with an established RACES organization is good, too. Look into it.

shaft

K9JLR said:
To answer your original question, without a doubt - YES.

I don't care how much certification you have and I don't really think it matters what your intent is. I don't even think it matters one bit if your CV is squeeky clean and 100% street legal.

If a civilian is driving a car that could be easily mistaken for a police cruiser, then you are going to have problems from the LE community. This type of behavior is heavily frowned upon in the LE community. I would imagine that you will be hassled to the point that you would just want to get rid of the car or basically strip it clean. It's happened before and it will continue to happen to those who are perceived by the LE community as impersonators and/or whackers.

Please read these threads on Officer.com:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76889&highlight=crown+vics

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78461&highlight=crown+vics

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72915&highlight=scanners

Its quite obvious who the "real" cops are on that forum and who are just there trying to be cool.
The general consesus from the real cops was they didnt care what you did with your car as long as it was legal and were not trying to impersonate them. Most couldnt imagine why you would buy a beat up cruiser to being with.

Status
Not open for further replies.