• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Entire 200 Ft commercial transmitter tower stolen.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thieves toppled and stole the 200-foot tower of classic hits WJLX-AM (1240) in Jasper, AL. The theft was discovered late last week and also included the transmitter and other equipment.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Thieves toppled and stole the 200-foot tower of classic hits WJLX-AM (1240) in Jasper, AL. The theft was discovered late last week and also included the transmitter and other equipment
Seems odd (to me) that, according to the story, the theft was discovered by a work crew and not by listeners reporting the loss of signal.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Seems odd (to me) that, according to the story, the theft was discovered by a work crew and not by listeners reporting the loss of signal.
I have a theory..or two.. Work crew snags tower guy with bush hog. Tower topples. They call scrap dealer who takes it all away. Problem solved. Or alternately, tower fell months ago, FCC seen poking around to see if they are on the air. Might suspicious this case. Someone is lying and the tower is not saying.

merlin

Probably been off air a couple years. I have come across a totally abandoned station in So Cal, Vandalized and graffity but a lot of gear left.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Was there no monitoring of the gear or even monitoring the signal that you're transmitting? I thought broadcast TV and radio had to monitor and report their signal to prove they are within limits.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I'm a little suspect as well. Dismantling a (probably at least) 30 year old tower ain't easy. And hauling it away is also a chore. I can't see the price of scrap metal being worth all the work.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
This was posted on wikipedia. Sounds like someone saw an opportunity

In late January 2024, the station, which has gone dark several times throughout the last few years due to deferred maintenance involving the 1240 AM tower southeast of Jasper that is slowly being repaired, posted on its Facebook page that the station's entire antenna, including the 200 ft (61 m) mast, and most of its transmission equipment within a building was completely cleared and removed, rendering it unable to broadcast at all over the AM band[10]; throughout all of its dark time, its translator at 101.5 FM has continued to broadcast full-time and was not affected as it transmits from another site west of Jasper

lenk911

throughout all of its dark time, its translator at 101.5 FM has continued to broadcast full-time and was not affected as it transmits from another site
The FCC allows AM stations to have a translator, if FM frequencies are available, if they can no longer cover their major market area because of manmade noise. BUT The translator must be owned by a 3rd party. Also technically they couldn't be translating 1240 KHz otherwise the translator would go dark when 1240 went dark. The translator must have a a feed direct from the studio making it technically, no longer a translator. Maybe they got an emergency STA from the FCC. Be nice if they could convert the translator's license to a full broadcast license and never reconstruct the AM station. Manmade noise has killed the AM band in urban/suburban areas!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Undoubtedly an inside job. Probably a disgruntled investor. Who owns the land? I would look at clearing the property for another use as a powerful motive.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
This stinks.

Stinks as in it doesn't add up.

Taking down a 200' tower is no small task.
That is going to take some work and power tools.
It's going to make some noise when it hits the ground.
Cutting up/unbolting 200' of even something small like Rohn 25 is going to take some time and make some noise.
200 feet of cut up tower isn't going to be hidden someones trunk. That's a truck and/or a trailer.
1000 watt transmitter isn't that large, but still B&E into the hut, probably fairly heavy.

I know last time I recycled a bunch of scrap metal, they wanted my drivers license and they even had a camera that took a photo of me standing next to what I brought in.