• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Entire 200 Ft commercial transmitter tower stolen.

RFI-EMI-GUY

You may have solved the puzzle. Under each AM tower, by FCC rules, are 360 copper ground radials (probably #6 or larger) extending out at least 1/4 wave (300 + feet @ 1240) from the tower(s). Hard work to harvest but if you're out of work, desperate and have time on your hands...
But with all that copper, why risk getting caught cutting up rusty steel? It is the land that is valuable there, nothing else. Someone in the partnership wanted the tower gone so the land could be sold. I am sure there was internal quibbling about the future of AM radio in Podunk. Where is Columbo? We need him on the case!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
wjlx1015.com

**02/08/24 UPDATE**

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has denied our request to remain on the air on 101.5 FM. Today, we shut down our transmitter and our programming will be streamed via internet and our apps only until we can restore our 1240 AM frequency. Many have asked, “How can we help?”

We did not have insurance on this facility. We have been given estimates of $60,000+ to build back and get our station on the air. We have established a GoFundMe, located here.

Thank you for your continued support. We will build back bigger and stronger — and will be back on the air soon!!
$60,000 for a tower, transmitter and installation? That's a heck of a deal!

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
The FCC is just abiding by the rules.
AM is on. or FM Xlator is off.
They knew what would happen without that rule

radionx

Get some competent people to investigate this case. I'd ask Velma.

1000016253.jpg

THE ALABAMA ANTENNA MASSACRE

Man, I'm still a big fan of Vilma. Did you know she likes to paint people?

Last edited:

mastr

I remember reading, years ago, about an AM station that suffered a tower failure. The engineer strung up a dipole and got them back on the air. Probably violated the license antenna pattern rules, but maybe crank down the power enough and they'd be good.
A station near me did exactly that. They got an STA to use a dipole and were on the air at reduced range within a few days.

wx3k

Premium Subscriber
As Elmer Fudd would say "HEY ! Theres something awfully screwy goin on around here" !

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
It's a topic on another forum website, interesting discussions: https://www.radiodiscussions.com/threads/wjlx-200-tower-reported-stolen.769741/
wow, just wow. Reading all those posts to current, seriously? If all that is true, this station and its people are a crazy story. This AM tower has not been active for years. Who knows when it was actually taken down. The old FCC files posted. The post of the other station this guy operates. An engineer assaulted at the stations studio. A fracas between two stations, the loaner transmitter story. The claim of a free tower and transmitter turned down. Wow just wow.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
To all the armchair detectives...Google has Walker County (and Jasper) on the docket for collecting new Streetview Imagery between 1/2024 and 12/2024. I wonder if they have a recent satellite pass from January and it just hasn't found it's way onto Earth yet.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I'll quote from Facebook...posted by ANB.
After speaking with several other broadcast professionals and also with one former "employee" of WJLX, here is a summarized version of the "Vanishing Tower of Jasper".

I've received numerous emails and phone calls in the past several days, prompting me to provide some clarity. I'm in Birmingham and local. Here's the condensed version of the real story:

About five years ago, the station manager, as always, posing as the owner, deemed the AM operation too high-maintenance. Consequently, he shut down the AM transmitter when it required significant repairs. The site was neglected for all these years.

Recently, rumors of an FCC complaint about the silent AM led him to believe there might soon be an inspection, revealing the tower's sad state and inability to operate.

During all of this time, the tower "rotted" and fell so that local individuals were able to gradually dismantle it over a period of months.

To mask the prolonged (unlawful) non-operation, the manager claims the damage occurred "within the past several days or weeks."

He's seeking $60k, but networking within engineering groups could get him back on air for $10k or even less. However, despite offers of a free tower and transmitter, he insists on cash. I, myself, possess a 250-foot Rohn 45-G tower I'd give him if not for his neglect and refusal of free equipment since shutting down WJLX AM intentionally. This was no "accident" or "mistake" or "act of God". What has befallen him is sheer and willful neglect.

His actions point to a local scam now spiraling out of control due to media exposure, and investigators must now play a role and I do hope they will actually do their jobs. Personally, I'm amazed that investigators have not already obtained power consumption records from the site which *will* prove the AM transmitter has not operated during the past several years and this would put to rest the ridiculous claims that this is a situation which occurred suddenly and unexpectedly and which "caused the shutdown of a small town radio station". The AM station was shut down at least four years ago by ***NAME REDACTED***. The FM translator was operating unlawfully (illegally) ever since. (I'm still waiting for the advertisers who paid for illegal advertising to realize they are all due refunds.)

Personally, I refrain from arguing any of these points, choosing only to observe.

The lack of any details about the transmitter and equipment supposedly "stolen" raises questions. It seems even the station manager can't specify what was there, only further emphasizing his disinterest in the AM site since his decision five years ago to shut it down and to ignore it.

lenk911

I remember reading, years ago, about an AM station that suffered a tower failure. The engineer strung up a dipole and got them back on the air. Probably violated the license antenna pattern rules, but maybe crank down the power enough and they'd be good.
As an alternative, when I was in college I built a 50 watt AM transmitter with an antenna interface to the 120 VAC power line to extend our carrier current broadcast station to a neighboring college campus. It radiated from the power line but passing through every transformer or sub station the signal was severely attenuated. Even though you could hear the signal in your car for about a mile around the campus. Something like that would have given coverage in a small town.

You should have seen the output transformer to match the final 6146 amplifier to the power line. It was wound on an empty Quaker oats box. It matched high impedance of the final amplifier to virtually no impedance of the power line!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
This showed up on facebook. I guess nobody thought anyone would wander into the woods out there

Mysteriously stolen yea sure. Maybe if it was left out that the last time it was checked was years ago

428442140_408716148372558_1551050572163365264_n.jpg
428374408_408716078372565_7346782364701366434_n.jpg

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Gone sometime between Nov 2021 and Oct 2023

WJLX tower site 10-21-2023

u9BqOSz.png

WJLX tower site 11-7-2021
50zLa0b.png

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Last edited: