Failed my Technician Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5XTC

Premium Subscriber
If I was you I would buy the book it was more better for me to study the book and after you pass your test you can all ways use it for later use.........
I do know two hams who cannot pass the general test, so do not feel bad you failed. there are other hams out there who can't pass. maybe their educational level is not that great, not sure. i passed my general test only 2 weeks after my technician and missed only 1 ?. the idea is to study, use the apps, the book, etd. I know another ham who speaks english only as a 2nd language and he passed his general exam. he is probably smarter than the other two, however. hang in there, i am sure you are intelligent enough to knock it out if you study. dont give up. if all hams gave up, this hobby be dead in the water.

MrGClips

I have been studying pretty much everyday, super engaged. When i dont know the answer i will envelope myself in the subject whether it be through youtube, or independent studies. I have been studying for 3 months almost on hamstudy.org. When i went to take the test i saw that the questions seem to be much different then the questions i remember from the pool of 400.

Can you recall the questions in your exam? Is it possible that accidentally they gave you a higher level test questionnaire, and instead of Technician, you were actually doing the General or Extra?

I can't imagine why the questions would be completely different from what you've studied. Strange! :-/

jim202

I picked up my technician license way back about 1962. Had a radio electronics class in high school that helped in getting my ham license. Have now been married to the same lady that has put up with me for around 40 years or so. She got her technician license back about 4 years ago. We were in one of the Ham Radio Outlet stores and she asked me what a good study guide would be. It kind of floored me because she has not shown much interest over all the years.

But she was pointed to one of the study guides and brought it home. Every night she would be reading it and once in a while would ask me a question about one of the answers. Then one Saturday she came in from one of her trips and started waving this piece of paper in front of me. I had to grab her hand in order to slow down the movement. She went out to one of the local ham clubs, took the test and passed.

So if she can do it, you can. Her best involvement with the ham radio has been listening to me chat on the radio as we are driving down the road on many of our trips. She was a police dispatcher for some 10 years or so. But do you think I can get her on the radio to talk with another ham these days. No way.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, I've deleted three posts that I thought were nothing but snarky and non-contributory.

Generally, it's a good idea to take a look at when posts were made before replying to them. If it was 6-12 months ago, it's a good bet that the original poster got his answer and moved on.

I'll also caution forum users to try to mind their manners. Just because you are hiding behind your keyboards doesn't mean you can't be civil with each other.

As for the questions that appear on amateur radio tests, each VE team in the U.S. must use questions from the current question pool. Likewise, if you are studying an online or printed resource, it's in your best interest to make sure you are studying the current questions. If the questions on your test don't look anything like what you studied, I'm willing to bet that: a. you didn't study as well as you thought you did, b. you were studying out-of-date material, c. maybe, just maybe, the VE team is using an old test template.

LivnInAz

I used an app called Ham Test Prep on my Android phone. It tracks and reports your mastery of the various areas. You can also take practice tests. It was extremely helpful in preparing for the exam.

ke7azd

Ok this thread is a couple of years old so I will post this message for any new comers that are having the same problem.

If you are new to ham radio and don't have your ticket (license) yet then look for a local ham radio club. and ask them via email if they off any test preparation classes. Way back in the old days I took a class and passed my "novice class" with flying colors, but I could never get past the mores code tests. I stil get chills thinking about that nightmare ( for me, others love cw) anyway a few years later the FCC changed and dropped the mores code requirement and I went for my tech no code. I took the class from my club along with a billion others who did the same thing as me. I passed the test. I did not get a perfect score but The VE giving the test told me that your ham radio license and privileges do not reflect your score. So hey If your scores on the practice test are always passing go take the test. If your still struggling or what to learn what these questions mean then find a class. I wonder if any of them are on You tube... That would be great....Im going to email Jeff our local VE guru.

Im working on my general after all these years I want my HF privledges. Happy CQ everyone... If you got questions or need help shoot me an email....

KE7AZD1@GMAIL.COM

Status
Not open for further replies.