FCC consent decree on unauthorized use of MPSCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

I'm surprised he hasn't faced local charges for any of this - taking police property without permission, misuse of public safety equipment, etc.

And the whole cloning thing... everyone's always so paranoid about mean ol' Motorola swooping down on people misusing and abusing software they're not supposed to have, you'd think the big M would have a grand time making a very public example out of young Cameron the whacker and any possible co-conspirators or unauthorized dealers (if indeed it was Motorola equipment used... but I'm sure other radio mfr's have similar license and use policies).

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that he has relatives working in public safety and his access to their equipment would've drawn them into a very public investigation and finding.

Again, please don't crucify me peeps. It is only a GUESS based upon some of the bread crumbs on the web.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I'm surprised he hasn't faced local charges for any of this - taking police property without permission, misuse of public safety equipment, etc.

And the whole cloning thing... everyone's always so paranoid about mean ol' Motorola swooping down on people misusing and abusing software they're not supposed to have, you'd think the big M would have a grand time making a very public example out of young Cameron the whacker and any possible co-conspirators or unauthorized dealers (if indeed it was Motorola equipment used... but I'm sure other radio mfr's have similar license and use policies).

The investigation may not be over. The feds are through but the locals may be working on it, too,

ten13

Premium Subscriber
How 'bout come credit for the LEO for realizing what the radio was?

"Credit"? We don't know the circumstances.

Yes, maybe this jerk didn't know enough to shut the radio off at the car stop, and was, in fact, blaring a police transmission.

OR...was the search an illegal search in the first place? Did the cop merely see a radio that looked like something he saw in a police car one time, and decided to do a "search" on his own, without valid probable cause?

If the driver consented, then he's his own worst enemy.

If the search was bad, then whatever he found was the "fruits of the poison tree..."

Now, I'm not arguing that this guy was innocent. He was found to be transmitting maliciously on a police frequency using a radio ID from another police radio. And, having an Amateur License put him in the category of doing it knowingly, so he "knew....or should have known" it was illegal.

But word to the wise (especially in places like New York State): start "legitimizing" your radios, especially if you belong to a volly FD or Ambulance Corps. Start trying to get the "permit" required under state law through your local politicians. Any radio you have...and no matter where you have it in your car....may be grounds for, at least, the police seizing it or, at the worst, making you subject for arrest.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
"Credit"? We don't know the circumstances.

Yes, maybe this jerk didn't know enough to shut the radio off at the car stop, and was, in fact, blaring a police transmission.

OR...was the search an illegal search in the first place? Did the cop merely see a radio that looked like something he saw in a police car one time, and decided to do a "search" on his own, without valid probable cause?

If the driver consented, then he's his own worst enemy.

If the search was bad, then whatever he found was the "fruits of the poison tree..."

Now, I'm not arguing that this guy was innocent. He was found to be transmitting maliciously on a police frequency using a radio ID from another police radio. And, having an Amateur License put him in the category of doing it knowingly, so he "knew....or should have known" it was illegal.

Well, your speculation is no better than mine. The fact of the matter is, we don't know. Furthermore, it doesn't matter to anyone but the suspect and his lawyer.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Cameron had no problem flaunting his radios on Facebook. It was only a matter of time before someone let the MSP know he had a radio that was on the system.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Cameron had no problem flaunting his radios on Facebook. It was only a matter of time before someone let the MSP know he had a radio that was on the system.

Someone had a strong suspicion or knew something, but the only way they could get him was through a traffic stop and "probable cause". Cops don't like whackers and will make their lives miserable. I'm guessing Cameron probably drove a retired Crown Vic or Charger, too.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Furthermore, it doesn't matter to anyone but the suspect and his lawyer.

I most certainly disagree...as, I hope, many here will also.

It matters a great deal as to how this came about (which is why we have public trials in American courts), as it sets the standard for anyone else who merely possesses a radio of that type. Has this set a new "standard" for radio possession (forgetting about the illegal transmissions for now)? A recent decision by a high court in NYS did, in fact, change the way someone in possession of a "scanner" can be charged (fortunately, the case was NOT just between "the suspect and his lawyer"):

https://forums.radioreference.com/n...on-handheld-scanner-vehicle-violates-vtl.html

If it was a malfeasance on the part of the cop, we should know that, as we should know the extent of the illegal activity committed by the person charged.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There's absolutely no way we can debate the legality of what took place when we don't know what took place. Every speculative idea has started with "if." If the radio blared out while the officer was there; if there was an informant; if the officer recognized the radio; if the officer conducted an illegal search; if the suspect bragged to the officer about what he had. The possibilities are endless.

I think we need to move on until more definitive information is available.

Danny37

But word to the wise (especially in places like New York State): start "legitimizing" your radios, especially if you belong to a volly FD or Ambulance Corps. Start trying to get the "permit" required under state law through your local politicians. Any radio you have...and no matter where you have it in your car....may be grounds for, at least, the police seizing it or, at the worst, making you subject for arrest.

A mere possession of a radio shouldn't be grounds for an illegal seizure or an arrest. Can't tell you how many times I see people with radios in Manhattan working in hotels, construction, security etc. I usually have my xts5000 on my person often, I use a Bluetooth dongle to listen to my radio.

I have refused warrantless searches before, then they say "if you got nothing to hide why are you refusing?" I'll usually refer back to not consenting to a search, if they're being stubborn they'll usually search anyway and tell you to be on your way when they come up empty. Installing a dual facing dash cam in my car was one of the greatest things I ever done, I'll usually point to the camera and let them know it's recording. Usually keeps them polite and on their toes. No offense to cops and I'm friends with many but those few who work in rough areas tend to be over the line, abrasive and out right disrespectful.

RFI-EMI-GUY

The investigation may not be over. The feds are through but the locals may be working on it, too,
If you read the consent decree carefully, it specifically warns him away from further messing with the MPSCS. I believe the local DA has already inserted himself into the process. I would expect the FCC might have drafted a much wider admonishment to include all licensed services. Also this "pretrial intervention and youthful trainee " nonsense is local law.

I really don't think there was a lot of evidence to prove the illegal transmissions were his, the whole tone of the consent decree appears to be one of the FCC wanting to wrap this up for all parties.

This case is over unless he screws up his probation.

The first lesson here is never consent to a warrantless search of your person, vehicle or domicile. Send them away for a warrant, they won't be able to interest a judge to sign one unless they have your voice print on tape, or you have committed some related felony.

The second lesson is that the current flavor of digital trunking systems have forced affiliation. Unlike earlier flavors, you can no longer simply take off the mike, program a bogus connect tone and call it a "scanner". Buy a Uniden scanner no matter how awful they are with simulcast.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ipfd320

Banned
RFI--{quote}--The first lesson here is never consent to a warrantless search of your person, vehicle or domicile. Send them away for a warrant, they won't be able to interest a judge to sign one unless they have your voice print on tape, or you have committed some related felony.

This is a Touchy Area i Would Believe--You Can Say No to the Search---But the Law Officer Now Thinks He Can Because of the Ol Probable Cause Clause that They Always Use--This Opens the Doors to Lie to Find Method---(I Smelled Weed Coming from the Vehicle) Thats Always the Lie They Use to Start the Search---And Really Who Knows if a Real Judge Actually Signed a Warrent---It Could be a Fake All we Know---There has Been So Much Shady Crap Reported that the PD Uses is Amazing

RFI-EMI-GUY

RFI--{quote}--The first lesson here is never consent to a warrantless search of your person, vehicle or domicile. Send them away for a warrant, they won't be able to interest a judge to sign one unless they have your voice print on tape, or you have committed some related felony.

This is a Touchy Area i Would Believe--You Can Say No to the Search---But the Law Officer Now Thinks He Can Because of the Ol Probable Cause Clause that They Always Use--This Opens the Doors to Lie to Find Method---(I Smelled Weed Coming from the Vehicle) Thats Always the Lie They Use to Start the Search---And Really Who Knows if a Real Judge Actually Signed a Warrent---It Could be a Fake All we Know---There has Been So Much Shady Crap Reported that the PD Uses is Amazing
Yeah, and well I am a white male so don't usually worry about getting dragged out and hit with a Billy club.

That said, I did have a disturbing encounter once with local PD officer while minding my own business alone, weeding my front lawn.

Wish there had been cameras or a witness because it was truly bizarre and insane encounter. An apparently paranoid psycho cop thought I was "watching him" and for some reason (Had I been doing so) that is an illegal act. I should have filed a complaint, but now realize it would have led to bigger trouble in this small town where PD are feared and worshipped.

We had a black guy locked up for 90 days a bogus cocaine discovery and bogus parole violation. 1) those low bid drug tests cannot differentiate between cocaine and drywall dust if you look at them at 900 PM with a Blue LED flashlight, 2) being out at 900pm with a 1000PM parole curfew is perfectly legal. Unless of course the police detain you for an hour on a trumped up drug bust.

Still say no to warrantless search. It is all you have when you are innocent.

By the way I have worked with many police and most are fine people. Unfortunately the police are only as good as the rest of society.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Want a System key, just get the old notepad out, go to Batlabs and make one. Control channel encryption as I understand it makes the channel assignment channels encrypted and doesn't block anyone from transmitting on the control channel. When the controller assigns channel 123 the radio goes to 234, so you cannot use the system. You still can jam it.

This whole thing smells as possibly as the son of someone well connected.

kc8vlv

Dear Cameron has been a RadioReference member for the past 5 years -- SHOCKER!!

***lengthy post unnecessarily quoted***
What you don't see is his Retired michigan state police Tahoe. And he shows up at the police and fire service fairs and swap meets, he's a sales representative for Copgear a Indiana based company.
For 3 years he's been trying to buy lights ,sirens, and radios on facebook, he is a admin with a known Scammer . Alero Averlvo .

Last edited by a moderator:

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Want a System key, just get the old notepad out, go to Batlabs and make one.

Bingo. Not hard to get around the system key requirement.

Control channel encryption as I understand it makes the channel assignment channels encrypted and doesn't block anyone from transmitting on the control channel. When the controller assigns channel 123 the radio goes to 234, so you cannot use the system.

With out the correct key for the encrypted control channel, your radio won’t be able to decode ANYTHING.

You still can jam it.

Would be pretty pointless. Besides that you would not even be able to determine ANY system info at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Edgar. If you are make accusations of someone being a scammer . at least get his name right...You completely spelled it wrong

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I guess there are some misconceptions on how a trunked radio system works. First the system still broadcasts enough info to monitor, next jamming the control channel DOES make the system vunerable to attack. Encrypting the control channel doesn't make the system unmonitorable, just not in trunking mode you can still monitor with conventional channel monitoring with talkgroup, but I suspect that it is more to prevent unauthorized TX access. Even with the correct system key which the ID is still broadcast you won't be able to follow transmission for an individual talkgroup.

There are a lot more issues going on in the back ground. I receive monthly newsletters from the P25 group about how the trunking system will be hardened including end to end encryption. I did one month post a link but it was taken down by the admins.

Quote"
What you don't see is his Retired michigan state police Tahoe.

I thought that there colors were trademarked preventing anyone from driving a former vehicle unless painted over.

Status
Not open for further replies.