FCC Eliminates Amateur Radio Vanity Call Sign Regulatory Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

I hope that this comes true. While I do have a vanity, I cringe at the thought that when I have go and renew my ticket, that I would have to pay -- again -- for the privilege of keeping my call.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The FCC is eliminating the regulatory fee to apply for an Amateur Radio vanity call sign. The change will not go into effect, however, until required congressional notice has been given. This will take at least 90 days. As the Commission explained in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Report and Order, and Order (MD Docket 14-92and others), released May 21, it’s a matter of simple economics.

“The Commission spends more resources on processing the regulatory fees and issuing refunds than the amount of the regulatory fee payment, ” the FCC said. “As our costs now exceed the regulatory fee, we are eliminating this regulatory fee category. ” The current vanity call sign regulatory fee is $21.40, the highest in several years. The FCC reported there were 11,500 “payment units” in FY 2014 and estimated that it would collect nearly $246,100.
Read the full story here:

FCC Eliminates Amateur Radio Vanity Call Sign Regulatory Fee

n4yek

My call sign was computer generated years ago so I never had to bother with the vanity call fee.
The thing that always got me though was that when you renewed your vanity call sign that you had to pay that fee again.
Why???
I have never had to pay for my call sign to be renewed and I am sure there isn't anymore work involved in renewing a vanity call sign.
I can see paying a hefty fee to try to obtain one as someone has to make sure that call sign isn't already in use by someone else.
After that, it shouldn't be anymore hassle that normal.

K7XRL

Premium Subscriber
I hope this means that those of us with vanity call signs won't need to take any additional action to keep them, other than our regular license renewal.

nd5y

I hope this means that those of us with vanity call signs won't need to take any additional action to keep them, other than our regular license renewal.
All it means it the fee will be reduced. You still have to pay for your vanity call each time you renew it.

N0IU

All it means it the fee will be reduced. You still have to pay for your vanity call each time you renew it.

Where does it say that the fee will be reduced? The first line of the article clearly says, "The FCC is eliminating the regulatory fee to apply for an Amateur Radio vanity call sign." If you don't have to pay for to get the callsign, why would you have to pay to renew it?

kc4jgc

The thing that always got me though was that when you renewed your vanity call sign that you had to pay that fee again.
Why???
I have never had to pay for my call sign to be renewed and I am sure there isn't anymore work involved in renewing a vanity call sign.
I can see paying a hefty fee to try to obtain one as someone has to make sure that call sign isn't already in use by someone else.
After that, it shouldn't be anymore hassle that normal.

My thoughts exactly! Paying ANOTHER fee to renew a vanity never made sense to me. That was really the really the only reason why I kept my novice call. Maybe now I'll consider a shorter call. After 26 years, though I may just keep this one....

rapidcharger

Why???
The same reason those of us that have vanity license plates (I have two) must pay more than a regular tag fee every year to keep them... It makes-a money.
Obviously in this case it appears to be losing money But that can be adjusted. Like I said, people will pay more to be the boss.

Voyager

If you read the FCC's release, they are losing more money than they are making. The usual 'solution' for government is to raise the fees when that happens.

N0IU

If you read the FCC's release, they are losing more money than they are making. The usual 'solution' for government is to raise the fees when that happens.

Here is how they are making up the difference...

"The revenue that the Commission would otherwise collect from these regulatory fee categories will be proportionally assessed on other wireless fee categories.”

Status
Not open for further replies.