FDNY Still on VHF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindshooter

For the FDNY frequencies do you have to be within a certain range to hear the HT,CMD and TAC channels? I used what was on the database but can't hear anything.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
For the FDNY frequencies do you have to be within a certain range to hear the HT,CMD and TAC channels? I used what was on the database but can't hear anything.

I believe that most of those frequencies for HT, CMD and TAC are low power mostly used for on scene communications.

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Ht1 and 3 are only 2watts the others are 5watts.
Use the uhf trunked to listen to ht1 from a distance

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
I'm not saying they are deprecated but I definitely lost reception of the Manhattan dispatch yesterday via my 780xlt. I sat right next to that with my BC346XT and was getting the UHF dispatch loud and clear at the same time.

However, this evening I have heard chatter so I'm not sure if they had a temporary issue that caused this.

Sitting in Fort Lee right now, right across the river, and there is nothing on Manhattan VHF.

slapshot0017

Sitting in Fort Lee right now, right across the river, and there is nothing on Manhattan VHF.
Then its quiet because I know for a fact they're still on VHF and will be till they can confirm the UHF is safe. I just talked to an FDNY firefighter and the dispatch channels are still in use on vhf and so are the fireground. The problem with their UHF setup is that it was repeated on the fireground which is against national regulations and almost killed a firefighter because he couldn't get his mayday out due to a terrible busy inhibit feature or just completely overpowered by the UHF repeater.

slapshot0017

Correction to my last post... I am hearing them on VHF but not as strong as it used to be. You really have to get up high. They must have downgraded the power or something to as they were switching to UHF and when the pause the UHF transition flipped the VHF back on not as strong as it was. Idk why they don't just leave it on vhf...

Last edited:

slapshot0017

I don't know, but the uncertainty is killing me. My uncle is a Manhattan lieutenant and he does really even know. All he knows is they gave him a new radio then took them away after the UHF almost got someone killed...

Blindshooter

Something is definetly up with the frequency. All last night and all day today and currently there is no audio on the VHF channel for manhattan. However CW,BX,BK,SI and Queens are still on VHF.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the frequency shareing they did a few month back. A few months ago there would be days when you would hear dispatch for one bourough haveing all the companies switch to another borough for a few hours and then have them switch back.

If it ain't broke dont fix it!

SCPD

QRT
Years ago they had an issue like this, where a FF almost got killed or injured due the new radio's at that time.That's all I remember. Maybe someone can add to this?

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The FDNY's license for VHF expired on or around 12/31/14.

Rumor had it that they were going to lower the transmit power (I guess, substantially) and would still simulcast on them.

But their main frequencies are now UHF.

SCPD

QRT
Just checked the FCC license and it was renewed this past January. It says on the license that the output power is 350. This is for all FDNY VHF frequencies.

Blindshooter

Somebody said in an earlier post to try the trunking channel for HT1. Can't seem to find it on the database anyone know the frequency?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Then its quiet because I know for a fact they're still on VHF and will be till they can confirm the UHF is safe. I just talked to an FDNY firefighter and the dispatch channels are still in use on vhf and so are the fireground. The problem with their UHF setup is that it was repeated on the fireground which is against national regulations and almost killed a firefighter because he couldn't get his mayday out due to a terrible busy inhibit feature or just completely overpowered by the UHF repeater.

This info is not correct at all.

Move to UHF was to bring all operations into one band and give Staten island it's own channel for the most part.

VHF will stay for now, UHF is 100% primary no issues with it being "safe"

Fireground is on UHF and has been for over 10 years.

Fireground was never repeated and there is no national regulations on it. There are some things out there that recommend against it but many departments still use repeaters. FDNY does not.

The mayday had nothing to do with "busy inhibit feature" or "overpowered by the UHF repeater"

Somebody said in an earlier post to try the trunking channel for HT1. Can't seem to find it on the database anyone know the frequency?
It's by Division, they are linked to the Divisions vehicle when they arrive on scene.

Something is definetly up with the frequency. All last night and all day today and currently there is no audio on the VHF channel for manhattan. However CW,BX,BK,SI and Queens are still on VHF.
One of the issues is that there are no front line units on VHF, so if the transmitter goes down there is no one to complain. I worked in Manhattan and VHF was down, they swapped the radio out and put the rig on UHF. Dispatcher had one idea VHF was down. This could be part of the issue people are seeing with VHF.

mikeybus44

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if they could fix the UHF hanging up all the time as if the mixer is left on for minutes on end... especially the Bronx and SI .... I also find I miss transmissions on UHF with the PL's plugged in. I have them all entered CSQ. Having lived in several locations since UHF began, I find this is not a problem as far as my location or my equipment. UHF reception for me is 3x3 at best

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
It would be nice if they could fix the UHF hanging up all the time as if the mixer is left on for minutes on end... especially the Bronx and SI .... I also find I miss transmissions on UHF with the PL's plugged in. I have them all entered CSQ. Having lived in several locations since UHF began, I find this is not a problem as far as my location or my equipment. UHF reception for me is 3x3 at best

The mixer is has to do with the new computer console. They use a mouse to turn it on and off. The old system I understand was a little easier.

There is an issue with the Manhattan vhf transmitter at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.