Got my call sign!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations.

I too have a BaoFeng UV5R, plus a Wouxun KG-UV3D1P

Some day I may add a base station, but these were cheap and will hopefully get me started.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I am a big fan of my BaoFeng. I added a cheap aftermarket antenna and also have a mag mount I use with it. My replacement Kenwood TH-D72A finally got back. The first one was not working properly. FYI, if you spend nearly $500 of your hard earned money at theantennafarm.com only to have it arrive defective make sure you request a return label. He will NOT offer you one unless you ask. He told me that after th fact. It cost me $30 to ship ups ground to have my defective one replaced. Needless to the $30 he saved on my return lost him at least $2000 in the next year or so since I plan to get the Kenwood TM-D710A mobile and the TS-2000 base soon. I will be spending my money with someone else.

TheSpaceMan

Congratulations.

I too have a BaoFeng UV5R, plus a Wouxun KG-UV3D1P

Some day I may add a base station, but these were cheap and will hopefully get me started.
The BaoFeng UV-5R is a nice little radio for the money. If you hook it up to an outside antenna on the roof, like a ground plane or J-pole, you will be amazed at how far you can get out!

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I used my BaoFeng yesterday along with a cheap mag mount dual band when I made a run to West Memphis to pick up my wife's grandmother. She lives in Little Rock and lost her power not long after we left there on Tuesday. One of her sons was still there and was heading back to St. Louis yesterday anyway so she rode with him till West Memphis where we met them. I got the 146.850 repeater at I240 and Poplar from the I55 bridge and it was still pretty clear.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a Kenwood TM-281A yesterday. it should hold me over till i get the money for the TM-D710A i want. i also ordered a NMO mag mount and a diamond 2m 5/8 mobile antenna to go with it.

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the hobby and get ready to spend alot of money and have a mad wife;)

Lol, I have already bought the Baofeng uv-5r plus, Kenwood TH-D72A and Kenwood TM-281A and a Larsen NMO mag mount and Diamond 2m 5/8 wave antenna in the last month or so. My wife is pretty good about not getting mad.. I just make sure the bills are paid and we eat before I buy toys.

DaddyHam

Congrats. I got my technician in November. I to got a kenwood. TH-F6A HT triband. I had a problem early with it but a VFO reset cleared it up. I'm having fun but don't get as much chance to GOTA as I might like. I'm studying for General now as well.

Congrats again
---
Eric
KK4MWM

W5JER

That's right! As long as the bills are paid and the wife is happy that's all that matters. I picked up 4 or 5 new toys over this holiday season and all are still circulating in the mail. I'm biting my nails every day in anticipation. When we moved to Texas I sold all my gear to help pay for our 10k moving expense. That was 2 years ago, I have been wanting to get back into it for a while now and decided to buy everything all at once. And I probably will buy more.

I tried getting my wife into HAM but she wont do it. I already got her playing WoW and that surprised me enough. Now I quit playing and shes been playing ever since. A happy wife means a happy life.

73's and again, welcome to the hobby!

DaddyHam

I tried getting my wife into HAM but she wont do it. I already got her playing WoW and that surprised me enough. Now I quit playing and shes been playing ever since. A happy wife means a happy life.

Isn't that the truth. Have to keep the wife happy. Funny thing for me as a new ham is that I was chatting on 2 meters in the car and my oldest daughter (20 yrs old) got really excited. I did not expect that. She is planning on testing for technician when she gets a break from college. I was hoping my 14 year old got excited but that hasn't happened yet.

---
Eric
KK4MWM

bnoland

Premium Subscriber
I can't complain that is for sure. When my job started causing health issues (PTSD, anxiety and IBS issues.. got to love police work) and it forced me to quit my wife picked up the slack. She graduated last May as an engineer and went directly into a job. After my department leaving me on my own and telling me if I did not return full duty they would fire me we decided it would be best for me and the family if I stayed home to take care of the house, baby and my self of course. I left the department I was with in June and now am a stay at home dad with our 12 month old little girl. She is happy as can be which means we all are and I still get to have my toys.

As far as getting her into HAM.. I highly doubt it. I would like her to and she is interested in it but I don't think she is that interested.

Last edited:

W5JER

I would like her to and she is interested in it but I don't think she is that interested.

It's funny because my wife will walk into my radio room while I'm talking or dialing a frequency. The most she will say is. "that looks really cool, what does that button do?" followed up by "hey, can you take the trash out real quick?"

:)

Wheels47130

Premium Subscriber
I was shortly after you. I got my call sign yesterday. It is KK4NPQ I use the Wouxun UV2D radio. I've made a couple of contacts. I think I will like this stuff too:)

73s

Status
Not open for further replies.