• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Hangtime Preference POLL! :)

What hangtime do you prefer? :)

• None

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • 1 second

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 2 seconds

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • 10+ seconds

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayn1n32008

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

0 hang time, cause if a repeater has a long tail, the resume time can get annoying. Same for a ham repeater, cause it makes it easier to X-band into it!

2 seconds has never seemed like enough. Whether it's conventional or trunking, I always want like 7+ seconds (I chose 10+ in the poll). I never liked how the older scanners from years ago only had a 2 second delay. The newer scanners that we have now are much better!

n1das

I voted for 2 seconds. That seems to be the Motorola default out of the box on many conventional repeaters. On Moto trunked systems (mixed analog/P25, 3600 baud control), the hang time on each repeater in the system appears to be around 2 seconds, maybe slightly less.

A one second repeater tail is just barely long enough to let you know that your transmission successfully keyed the repeater. A 2 second tail does it nicely where hearing the tail when you un-key is long enough to let you know you hit the repeater but you don't have to wait forever for the tail to drop. Any repeater tail longer than about 3 seconds starts to sound longer than needed.

2 seconds seems to be about right for repeaters in conventional systems. For trunked systems, the tail on individual repeaters should be whatever the particular trunking format requires. A tail of a half a second or less is good for RF links between repeater sites.

Just my $0.02 FWIW.

n1das

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

0 hang time, cause if a repeater has a long tail, the resume time can get annoying. Same for a ham repeater, cause it makes it easier to X-band into it!
A trick that can be done is remove the PL tone from the tail, if the repeater is transmitting a tone on the output. Only have the PL tone on the output while the repeater is repeating traffic heard on the input. Your cross-band setup would be programmed to decode the tone on the output. The repeater tail can then be the length desired but it won't interfere with cross-band repeating to/from the repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.