• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Harris XL-200 on a Motorola Type 2 smartzone network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newhanfan1

I am trying to add some Harris XL-200s to a Motorola Type 2 smartzone trunking network. Has anyone had any experience with this in the past? I am hitting some roadblocks and I cannot locate a lot of information online that is relevant. Speaking with Motorola and Harris, they are hesitant to help so I’m hoping someone here has some helpful information.

Newhanfan1

If you’re taking about a 3600 baud Motorola trunked system no Harris radio will work on those. It’s Motorola or a specific EFJ radio only.
I should have asked here first, could’ve saved me a week of frustration. Thank you for your answer

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
No Harris (legacy brands..) radio will operate on a Motorola network that is NOT P25 compliant. No SmartZone, no Smartnet, no Privacy Plus. (Not that many of those systems are even still operational.)

P25 trunking marked the first time you might find a Harris radio on a Motorola trunked system, or a Motorola radio on a Harris trunked system.

Admittedly, I am a bit fuzzy on the compatibility of later Motorola 9600 baud trunking systems that were "Astro 25" but not fully P25 compliant. Those systems evolved toward P25 standards even as the p25 standards themselves evolved. There may be special use cases where you could get limited interoperability between those two brands, without being fully P25 compliant. Not certain about that.

For quite some time, M/A-Com...Harris...wanted no part of Project 25, as they did not want to sign on to Motorola's pet project, but eventually market forces required them to do so. (Primarily federal contracts, I'm sure.)

TDR-94

No Harris (legacy brands..) radio will operate on a Motorola network that is NOT P25 compliant. No SmartZone, no Smartnet, no Privacy Plus. (Not that many of those systems are even still operational.)

P25 trunking marked the first time you might find a Harris radio on a Motorola trunked system, or a Motorola radio on a Harris trunked system.

Admittedly, I am a bit fuzzy on the compatibility of later Motorola 9600 baud trunking systems that were "Astro 25" but not fully P25 compliant. Those systems evolved toward P25 standards even as the p25 standards themselves evolved. There may be special use cases where you could get limited interoperability between those two brands, without being fully P25 compliant. Not certain about that.

For quite some time, M/A-Com...Harris...wanted no part of Project 25, as they did not want to sign on to Motorola's pet project, but eventually market forces required them to do so. (Primarily federal contracts, I'm sure.)
HARRIS wasn't anti-P25. it was primarily M/A-Com pushing the proprietary EDACS ProVoice and OpenSky systems. HARRIS was very much involved with and supported the P25 standard.They are the reason for the continued killing off of the inherited proprietary systems, once they are no longer under contract to support them.

The prototype XG-100P was capable of supporting all the legacy M/A-Com formats and was capable of supporting Motorola Type 2 with it's unicorn firmware, that was never released outside HARRIS. HARRIS management axed all that and decided it would only support analog, P25 Conventional and P25 Trunking. EDACS ProVoice was only added to the XG-100M because of requested demand from certain entities at the time. EDACS ProVoice hasn't died off as quickly as anticipated and that's the only reason the XL-200 has support for it.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Note that I did say "M/A-Com...Harris" which meant, actually, "somewhere along the timeline from GE to Harris" rather than the time since the Harris acquisition specifically. There was a time within this period where the company, by whatever name it was using that week, was not wishing to play Motorola's P25 game.

EDACS support officially ended in, what, 2017? Yet my county still runs it. With a FEW ProVoice and a FEW encrypted talkgroups. Strange but true. And they're not the only ones. It was only recently that the county to the north finally turned off their EDACS system for good, and not so long ago where the county to the south did the same. So that leaves my county as one of a dwindling number still using EDACS, and all their new issued radios support it. But the day is coming when the new P25 system will be transitioned to service.

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Anybody remember the rumored Motorola radio that would work on an EDACS system? I heard the Navy SEALS had them, apparently so they could use the EDACS HYDRA systems found on many Naval ships. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, the HYDRA system is still a bit of a mystery. I've never YET heard of any of those systems making it to surplus or beyond.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Anybody remember the rumored Motorola radio that would work on an EDACS system? I heard the Navy SEALS had them, apparently so they could use the EDACS HYDRA systems found on many Naval ships. :rolleyes:

Come to think of it, the HYDRA system is still a bit of a mystery. I've never YET heard of any of those systems making it to surplus or beyond.
Sigh...one in every bunch.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I don’t really think it’s a mystery… There are brochures (see attached) available with average google search abilities. It’s just standard Harris offerings in special packaging… like a mobile mounted in a wall box with black powder coating and a Harris logo. These likely do have customized or unreleased firmware, but having a radio with that firmware would likely be irrelevant outside of the hydra system anyway.

-B

Attachments

• cs-pspc-hydra-system-shipboard-wireless-communications-brochure.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 31

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Right, but I've never seen surplus Hydra equipment "in the wild", so to speak. As I understand it, Hydra uses a customized architecture, not regular EDACS by any means. The radios are 100 mW output. Never seen those radios at surplus, or their firmware, etc.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber

Rumor was that it was a cousin to the FPP spectra ;)

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, like the VHF air band Astro saber... :unsure: wait, I did that...hacked the bandsplit and it actually did a passable job of receiving some AM transmissions via slope detect.:cool:
Or the 800 MHz ASTRO Saber that could receive iDEN with the LAPD VSELP flash. I think @KevinC had one of those.

Slope detection works surprisingly well for an AM RX only situation. I think I might extend one of my XTSs down to play with that.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
Right, but I've never seen surplus Hydra equipment "in the wild", so to speak. As I understand it, Hydra uses a customized architecture, not regular EDACS by any means. The radios are 100 mW output. Never seen those radios at surplus, or their firmware, etc.
I suppose for a collector, something like this may be desirable… but a custom EDACS implementation with 100mW output certainly isn’t of interest to me. I believe that these systems are UHF(?), but for all we know, the radios don’t operate in anything but this ‘custom EDACS’ mode…

I just want radios to be useful to me. I’m not a collector!

-B

Status
Not open for further replies.