• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

HELP!!! P7100 no PROM VER

nucleaireqc

I have a problem with one of my radios! P7100IP It's been a long time since I opened it and I notice that I cannot speak in encryption (conventional P25) however I can speak in AEGIS or PROVOICE encryption (conventional)

I rewrote the firmware/DSP and it didn't change anything!
The radio displays PROM VER 00/00/00
My other P7100IP displays 02/01/03 (it can speak encrypted in all digital protocols authorized on the radio!

Of course I have the options for encryption and P25!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!!

Attachments

• 385522643_383348687686381_7529392358655866983_n.jpg
    385522643_383348687686381_7529392358655866983_n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 385551771_367419165787129_2201447823434623302_n.jpg
    385551771_367419165787129_2201447823434623302_n.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
The squelch has three settings… selective, normal, and monitor (or something like that)… try selecting monitor and see if encryption works on P25C…

-B

Edit: You would need a very specific pairing of DSP and firmware, as well as features 33 and 37 for AES to work on a P7100 in P25C selective or normal squelch modes.

TDR-94

PROM VER 00/00/00 means that the PROM is a G Series DSP radio, the PROM has become defective, or was originally a P5100. PROM VER 00/00/00 will not allow the radio to operate in P25 encrypted mode. I have an all feature enabled M/A-Com "engineer's" P7100 and it also displays PROM VER 00/00/00 and will not even keyload.

PROM VER 01/02/03 means the radio is only DES FIPS capable.

nucleaireqc

during testing it displays err:0600

I confirm that the radio comes from the same place and comes with encryption! The radio worked in encrypted P25C.

Is it possible to change the PROM?
DSP FIRM=F***** No G*****

smackdaddy

If you have an F-series DSP and no PROM, the board likely came from a P5100.

The PROM is physically soldered to the board (surface mount). If you have the tools, this can be migrated from one board to another. Theoretically you could remove it, dump it with the appropriate PROM burner and make additional copies for any radios that are missing it. (I would recommend a solution like the GQ-4X with the appropriate chip adapters)

It all comes down to how much time/money you want to invest, and whether you have access to the surface mount tools. Given the cost of P7100s these days it would just be easier to find a board with the PROM installed.

TDR-94

during testing it displays err:0600

I confirm that the radio comes from the same place and comes with encryption! The radio worked in encrypted P25C.

Is it possible to change the PROM?
DSP FIRM=F***** No G*****
It's quite possible the PROM chip has failed and as mentioned earlier, you would need to swap the chip out for a working one that has the correct PROM version.

nucleaireqc

!!! no chance!

I have carried out the maintenance book, the prom will be the U605?

I have a soldering station and a little skill but none in terms of copying information for the PROM that is beyond my skills!

thank you

TDR-94

Those PROM chips are designed to be written to only once a I don't believe you can copy the contents to another chip. It's part of the FIPS requirements. You would have to transplant another working PROM chip with the correct PROM version.

smackdaddy

Those PROM chips are designed to be written to only once a I don't believe you can copy the contents to another chip. It's part of the FIPS requirements. You would have to transplant another working PROM chip with the correct PROM version.
That's correct - the EPROM that is used on the board is an OTP model. That just means that once you write it, the chip can no longer be erased. If you buy a blank replacement chip you can definitely burn an image into it and make a copy.

U605 is just an Atmel AT27BV1024-90VI. If you physically remove it you can most definitely dump it with a burner. There is nothing magical about this EPROM if you can get a burner directly connected to it. The radio does not provide any interface to dump it however.

Of course going to this time and trouble doesn't make sense given the cheap availability of P7100 hardware these days. But learning about the hardware components is still fun.

merlin

If you can get a bin from a working prom. you can write to a new blank. I use the GQ 4X4 and doe that a few times.
U605 is the flash eprom. I will have to find my datasheet but I recall there is nothing OTP about the chip.
They can fail. Madening is I have a few good pull-outs buried in all this junk. I have a half dozen radios though, so I could always pull one.
You MUST have a good dump of the flash though.
Before butchering anything, My bench test radio has prom ver 00 00/00 and does P25 conventional encryption very well.
Thinking your souce files are not what you think
PROM VER 00/00/00 means that the PROM is a G Series DSP radio, the PROM has become defective, or was originally a P5100. PROM VER 00/00/00 will not allow the radio to operate in P25 encrypted mode. I have an all feature enabled M/A-Com "engineer's" P7100 and it also displays PROM VER 00/00/00 and will not even keyload.

PROM VER 01/02/03 means the radio is only DES FIPS capable.
My bench radio allows it, but that is up to the features not the prom version.
Thinking you have another problem not able to keyload.
My radio has flash v J2R18F04 and DSP v G6R06M02

Last edited:

TDR-94

Merlin, I know you have appointed yourself as the resident forum expert on the GE/Ericsson/M/A-Com/TYCO/HARRIS series of radios, but 98% of your info about these radio is either incorrect or just plain false. You have proven this many times on here. Btw, still looking for you to present a video of your MRK that supports P25 functionality.

I don't claim to be an expert and I could have interpreted info, on the specifics of the TSOP chip, incorrectly but my source for the PROM information is sound.

There is logic in the radio code where it checks for the presence of this chip when keyloading, and based upon the outcome it will either indicate it goes the old route with the black box keyloader (KEY LOAD BANK) or the route with the new software loader (KEY LOAD IDLE)
G-series DSP code radios were I&Q modulation, and did not support P25 trunking. These radios were loaded by the old black box keyloader and were not capable of P25 encryption. They would indicate "KEY LOAD BANK=" on the screen when the keyloader was attached.
The algorithm capabilities in the PROM relate to the FIPS encryption feature. If deployed the contents of the radio DSP is encrypted and signed to ensure that the radio can not be tampered with. The one PROM version allowed this in DES mode. And the last revision supported both DES and AES FIPS modes. These were activated by using a secure signing feature in the Key Admin/Key Loader apps. There was also a FIPS feature encryption option needed to support this.

merlin

Merlin, I know you have appointed yourself as the resident forum expert on the GE/Ericsson/M/A-Com/TYCO/HARRIS series of radios, but 98% of your info about these radio is either incorrect or just plain false. You have proven this many times on here. Btw, still looking for you to present a video of your MRK that supports P25 functionality.

I don't claim to be an expert and I could have interpreted info, on the specifics of the TSOP chip, incorrectly but my source for the PROM information is sound.
I have datasheets for every flash eprom from nearly all MaCom/Ericsson/harris radios. All of them (tsop) 29Fxxx
YOU get the datasheets, YOU do the research, then chatize me if I am wrong.
If I am wrong, be specific to what is wrong and I will correct any mistakes, but be ready to back up claims.
VIDEO ? you know what you can do with that.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I think your signature sums it up perfectly, although I do believe that it undersells just how often you are inaccurate or just plain wrong.

merlin

I think your signature sums it up perfectly, although I do believe that it undersells just how often you are inaccurate or just plain wrong.
I'm human, just like you. Yea, I make mistakes, but don't flame me for that, point out where I am wrong and I will stand corrected.
I don't intend to be a threat to anyones standing on the site. but I know what I know. mainly haveing been there, done that.
Since my last post, I dismantled and reassembled a Kenwood NX-800 because I needed the part numbers from the controller section.
Downloaded datasheets, so on with my hacking. Not much time to loiter here on the site.
Now the OP is no dummie, I have done the same thing. Seems there is discrepancy that rom v00.00.00 won't do P25.
I have a a P7100ip with the same rom version, and it does P25 very nicely. NO ONE can tell me I am wrong here.
Now I can't explain why it can't provoice encrypted with the features active. (maybe the re written firmware droppe a feature or two)
My radio has keyload and I have all the key admin and keyload software to do the job.
Cheers

merlin

Back on post 10, TDR-94 is correct except for one thing. Flash chips are read write nor flash ICs.
Why his won't keyload, not enough info to tell. (post 3)
Post #11, you most certainly can write to AT27BV1024-90VI with the likes of GQ-4x4.

merlin

@ TDR-94. no where did I ever state an M-RK could do trunking, they cant, if I did, that was my bad. The subject radio was an LPE-200 with DSP board.
Even then, it took some serious mods to double the memory and code the DSP.
This was years back from a British radio hack site gone underground for being shut down by GB authorities.

TDR-94

Seems there is discrepancy that rom v00.00.00 won't do P25.
I have a a P7100ip with the same rom version, and it does P25 very nicely. NO ONE can tell me I am wrong here.
Now I can't explain why it can't provoice encrypted with the features active. (maybe the re written firmware droppe a feature or two)
My radio has keyload and I have all the key admin and keyload software to do the job.
Cheers
Nobody ever said PROM VER 00/00/00 doesn't support P25. You did NOT say your G-Series P7100 supports P25. You stated that it supports P25 encryption, which is false.
My bench test radio has prom ver 00 00/00 and does P25 conventional encryption very well.
Thinking your souce files are not what you think

My bench radio allows it, but that is up to the features not the prom version.
Thinking you have another problem not able to keyload.
My radio has flash v J2R18F04 and DSP v G6R06M02
The G-Series DSP P7100 does not support P25 "encrypted" operation and you did NOT load that radio with "P25" keys with the KeyAdmin KeyLoader. You obviously don't understand how to use KeyAdmin or know the difference between "P25" keys and EDACS/Conventional keys. It's unfortunate that you were given a hacked version of KeyAdmin. You are exactly the type who shouldn't be in possession of such tools.

And I don't know why you keep focusing on my P7100 not key loading.It was never a question that I asked. I only stated that it didn't go into key load mode. I know why it doesn't keyload with KeyAdmin. It was a development radio that existed before the production units and before KeyAdmin existed.It will only go into key load mode if connected to the IDA. And if you read the IDA documents, that you lifted from the CSforum, you will know that the IDA doesn't support creating or loading P25 keys because it pre-dates the P25 standard.

And just to prove my earlier point. How many times now have you claimed this BS about the XG-100 supporting DMR?

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 2.51.58 AM.png

If you want to help the OP just clone the chip with the correct PROM VER 01/02/03 and send one to him to replace the one in his radio.

Last edited: