Hershey Park (conventional)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WF3J

Premium Subscriber
Dauphin County monitoring

I saw mentioned the frequency 857.2625 as an analog channel capable of monitoring Dauphin County dispatches. I live in northern Dauphin County and I programmed that into my scanner, and I am not picking up anything at all on that frequency. Is this something that does not work in the northern end of the County? I am within 1000 feet of the County tower above Wiconisco.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
I saw mentioned the frequency 857.2625 as an analog channel capable of monitoring Dauphin County dispatches. I live in northern Dauphin County and I programmed that into my scanner, and I am not picking up anything at all on that frequency. Is this something that does not work in the northern end of the County? I am within 1000 feet of the County tower above Wiconisco.

This thread is the first I heard of that frequency too. It's licensed to Susquehanna Twp, not the county, and is located at the Blue Mountain county site / WITF / WHPTV in Susquehanna Twp. From what I heard the other day, it simply rebroadcasts the Fire Disp talkgroup (and maybe a few ops channels but I wasn't listening too closely). So, it's perfectly reasonable for you not to be able to hear it all the way up north as it is only transmitted on Blue Mountain.

WF3J

Premium Subscriber
You are probably correct. If it is on Blue Mountain I will never be able to hear it up here. There is an analog re-broadcast of DC Fire 1 and EMS 1 in the northern end of the county on a VHF frequency that can only be heard in the upper end. I was not sure if this 800 freq was something that was county wide.

Rishayan

Yes, from my Hershey monitoring post, I can recieve two analog frequencies that rebroadcast both the EMS dispatch talkgroup and the Fire Dispatch talkgroup in analog....I have not had the chance to track down where they are located, but the 857.2625 frequency comes in much better than the other VHF frequency in Hershey. Unfortunately I am out of state right now and don't have my PA notes with me, but the VHF frequency is a new 7.5 Mhz split frequency at the very beginning of the 156 Mhz band. It appears to be unlicensed. I can only recieve it with my very sensitive ICOM reciever, as neither my uniden nor my whistler can hear it, so I suspect that the transmitter is only running 5 or 10 watts, or certainly less than 20. I thought it might be in the Harrisburg area, but it could very well be located in upper county. If you have a good VHF reciever and do a regular search of 156 to 156.2 Mhz, you should be able to find it.

WF3J

Premium Subscriber
That would be the repeater on 156.100 located between Millersburg and Elizabethville along route 209 in upper Dauphin County. That is the one I previously was talking about. The frequency is actually licensed to a local EMA co-ordinator and he rebroadcasts DC fire 1 and ems 1 on it and it is able to be monitored anywhere in the upper end of the county. Not sure what he told me it is putting out, but it is at least 25 watts. I will have to ask him.

I can hear it on a Baofeng portable in my basement. It is supposed to be utilized as receive only and a large number of first responders up here monitor it. I have the transmit split and PL and there are a couple of us that can transmit on it up here. I have no trouble getting out on it with 4 watts. I am about 10 miles line of site from his tower.

Rishayan

Ok, well thank you very much. That explains why the signal is so weak down in Hershey....my regular scanners can really not even pick it up, but my ICOM can recieve it pretty good, just about full quieting.. But isn't the actual correct frequency 156.0975? Because I seem to zero it in better on that frequency, even though I can also hear it on 156.10. But maybe I am mistaken, but I don't think 156.10 is a legal frequency. But I could be wrong. And, yes, it would be interesting to know what the actual power output is.

WF3J

Premium Subscriber
Yes, from my Hershey monitoring post, I can recieve two analog frequencies that rebroadcast both the EMS dispatch talkgroup and the Fire Dispatch talkgroup in analog....I have not had the chance to track down where they are located, but the 857.2625 frequency comes in much better than the other VHF frequency in Hershey. Unfortunately I am out of state right now and don't have my PA notes with me, but the VHF frequency is a new 7.5 Mhz split frequency at the very beginning of the 156 Mhz band. It appears to be unlicensed. I can only recieve it with my very sensitive ICOM reciever, as neither my uniden nor my whistler can hear it, so I suspect that the transmitter is only running 5 or 10 watts, or certainly less than 20. I thought it might be in the Harrisburg area, but it could very well be located in upper county. If you have a good VHF reciever and do a regular search of 156 to 156.2 Mhz, you should be able to find it.

Confirmed that I could hear fire dispatches on the 857.2625 frequency today when I was in lower Dauphin County.

Status
Not open for further replies.