• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to identify encrypted files on an LPE-200

Status
Not open for further replies.

GILMOORE

Can someone please explain how to identify encrypted files on an LPE-200? Do you need to be in program mode to find that type of file? Or can you manually go through the radio and identify the encrypted files? Thanks in advance.

GILMOORE

No answers? Come on guys, you must have an answer on how to identify the file. Is it all numbers or letters? I'm not looking for sound, I can identify the sound of it.

GILMOORE

JungleJim said:
what do you mean by encrypted files. feature encryption? ESK? Voice encryption?
Voice encryption. I know what the voice encryption sounds like, but I want to identify the frequency. Does it start with letters and numbers, how long would it be, how many letters and numbers? Because I have an LPE-200 that's being worked on at the moment, and it's missing that type of file.

rmiles

Let's not confuse voice encryption with feature encryption. That's why I asked you to call me. Voice encryption is ILLEGAL to monitor unless you have authorization (i.e., you're an approved system user). What you want is the FEATURE ENCRYPTION file (.ENC) to restore the FEATURE ENCRYPTION on your LPE that I have.

The features in you radio are keyed to the radios ROM serial number. That's the encryption part. M/A-Com applies some sort of algorithm to the mix that gives you a hexadecimal string of 16 characters. Somehow, yours got deleted. I've been trying to contact you by phone to get a better picture of what happened to the radio. The file should be stored on your computer under;

C:\Program Files\MA-COM Software Tools\ProGrammer\backup

and will be your radios ROM S/N .ENC The file directory may be a bit different, depending on which version of ProGrammer you're using.

This posting will give you a good working understanding of what Feature Encryption is, and what it does.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325&highlight=feature+encryption

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
The frequency has nothing to do with the Feature Encryption. Feature Encryption is modified to enable or disable features on the radio. If you want to modify the frequencies, you have to modify them via ProGrammer. It looks like you tried to edit the Feature Encryption and ended up changing it, therefore rendering your radio useless. You should NEVER play around with Radio Maint...

GILMOORE said:
Voice encryption. I know what the voice encryption sounds like, but I want to identify the frequency. Does it start with letters and numbers, how long would it be, how many letters and numbers? Because I have an LPE-200 that's being worked on at the moment, and it's missing that type of file.

GILMOORE

Thanks for all your replies. You guys are great help. That explains it all. Thanks again.

FiremanSparky

rmiles said:
Let's not confuse voice encryption with feature encryption. That's why I asked you to call me. Voice encryption is ILLEGAL to monitor unless you have authorization (i.e., you're an approved system user). What you want is the FEATURE ENCRYPTION file (.ENC) to restore the FEATURE ENCRYPTION on your LPE that I have.

The features in you radio are keyed to the radios ROM serial number. That's the encryption part. M/A-Com applies some sort of algorithm to the mix that gives you a hexadecimal string of 16 characters. Somehow, yours got deleted. I've been trying to contact you by phone to get a better picture of what happened to the radio. The file should be stored on your computer under;

C:\Program Files\MA-COM Software Tools\ProGrammer\backup

and will be your radios ROM S/N .ENC The file directory may be a bit different, depending on which version of ProGrammer you're using.

This posting will give you a good working understanding of what Feature Encryption is, and what it does.
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325&highlight=feature+encryption

Hello rmiles

Not to hijack the thread, but is this something that the programmer does automatically when you program the radio (in this case, the LPE-200) or is this something that should be done prior to programming it? For example, using the software, the user would back up his files MANUALLY and saving them prior to programming as compared to the software AUTOMATICALLY saving the file.

Thanks,
Frank

Last edited:

rmiles

FiremanSparky said:
Hello rmiles

Not to hijack the thread, but is this something that the programmer does automatically when you program the radio (in this case, the LPE-200) or is this something that should be done prior to programming it? For example, using the software, the user would back up his files MANUALLY and saving them prior to programming as compared to the software AUTOMATICALLY saving the file.

Thanks,
Frank

BOTH! The very first thing you should do when you get a "new" GE/Ericsson/Ma-Com radio is save the four files (.TRK, .ENC, .BIZ/BIS & .DSP/ADI) to your computer. But when you read the radio with ProGrammer, it automatically saves the feature string and I think the tracking data. That way, if you delete it, you still have a back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.