Icom: Icom 718 power supply?

K7MEM

How "small" are you talking about?

The IC-718 requires 20 Amps peak at 13.8 Volts. You might want to check out this page on Recommended Parts for the ICOM IC718. Most of the supplies on that page are "switching" supplies, but should be pretty clean. As a minimum, there is the Astron 20 Amp linear supply. RS-20A has a continuous 16 amp rating with a 20 amp intermittent duty rating @ 13.8VDC. (50% duty cycle: 5 min on / 5 min. off). That's about as small as you can get.

I have a IC-735 and the specs are about the same as the IC-718. For the IC-735, I use an old ICOM PS-15 linear power supply. However, I don't think that the PS-15 is available any more. It weighs in at 8.2 kg (18 lbs), but can be placed off to the side and out of the way.

A friend of mine used a MFJ-4035mv for his FT-991A and it seemed to be quiet and worked fine. The power specs are about the same as the IC-781.

K7MEM

Will a QJ PS30 SW1 do the job

According to the specifications, that power supply will do the job. However, there are a few red flags.

Note, on the front panel of the QJ PS30 SW1, there is a "Noise Offset" control. This says that the power supply generates RFI and can interfere with your radio. The offset control allows you to adjust the frequency of switching circuitry and thus the frequency of the RFI. So when you get interference from the power supply, not if you get interference from the power supply, you should be able to move it out of the way. That sounds good, but here is a video on the "Noise Offset" control. Note in the video that the RFI is unstable and roams around the band. This means you will be constantly adjusting the "Noise Offset" control while you are operating.

Switching power supplies are nice because they can generate lots of power in a small/light package. However, they can be the source of RFI. The higher price switchers tend to do a better job at suppressing the RFI. Personally, I prefer a linear power supply over a switching power supply. But linear power supplies, with equivalent voltage/current ratings, will generally be bigger and much heavier.

k6cpo

While they are great power supplies, the Astrons are big, bulky, heavy and expensive. If you're going to leave it in one location and not be moving it around, it's a good choice. Otherwise there are switching supplies that will give many years of good service. I suggest looking at the Alinco 30A supplies. I've been using one daily to run two VHF/UHF radios and one HF radio. While it doesn't have the capacity to be transmitting on all three at the same time, it is great for receiving.

GadgetGeek

While they are great power supplies, the Astrons are big, bulky, heavy and expensive. If you're going to leave it in one location and not be moving it around, it's a good choice. Otherwise there are switching supplies that will give many years of good service. I suggest looking at the Alinco 30A supplies. I've been using one daily to run two VHF/UHF radios and one HF radio. While it doesn't have the capacity to be transmitting on all three at the same time, it is great for receiving.
I agree. My Alinco DM-330MVT Power Supply DM-330MVT is on 12 hours a day for the last several years. It's an excellent switching power supply. Never heard any rf hash on any frequency with it either. I power two hf rigs, a swr meter light & more. It's a great switching supply with a small footprint.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Astron linear power supplies, model numbers start with "RS" for fixed voltage or "VS" for adjustable voltage, are typically heavy and bulky.

Astron switch-mode power supplies, model numbers start with "SS", are typically lighter and smaller compared to the linear power supplies.

merlin

Just food for thought here. I use those HP server power supplies. One that would suit your needs is the 450 watt HSTNS-PL14
Rated at 38 amp/12.0 volt.
They need a simple mod to turn them on, plus a simple mod to bring the output up to 13.6/13.8 volts. I derate them and call them 30 amp
continuous. On my bench, a 750 watt version has been running everything for four years,flawlessly.
The 30 amp job can run a 150 watt HF rig, probably for years. The noise it generates is just a small bit over a straight battery. There, but insignificant.
The size is 10 inches by 3.75 inches by 1.6 inches. Fully protected from overvoltage, current, and temperature.
Nice part is they can be had used for about $10.00 US. A couple $$ for binding posts, or even a nice project box for another $25.00
Best bang for the buck, I have ever found.