Kenwood: TM-D700 mobile -- Power-down issue

blaketexas081

I've just started having an unusual power-down issue. When I press power to shut down, the radio screen goes dark, but the back-light on the microphone remains on. Repeated pressing of the power button doesn't change anything. When it first happened, disconnecting the power connection, waiting 15 seconds and reconnecting would resolve it, but no longer the case. I am running a remote head configuration, but don't appear to have any cable damage or issues. My next step will be to pull and bench the radio, but would prefer not to start down that path.

FYI, I've done both a VFO-reset and a full reset with no impact on the problem -- fortunately, I'm overdue for housekeeping on my memory channels, so it is what it is.

Anyone have thoughts? I prefer radios that have track records of long, dependable life and the supply of choices, in my opinion, is dwindling. Would prefer to get the D700 back on line.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If it were me, I'd take a look at the cable connecting the control head to the RF deck. Disconnect/reconnect both ends a couple of times. That might wipe any corrosion off of the contacts. Also, make sure that there's no strain on the cable at either end. If the connectors get pulled sideways, they may lose contact.

blaketexas081

If it were me, I'd take a look at the cable connecting the control head to the RF deck. Disconnect/reconnect both ends a couple of times. That might wipe any corrosion off of the contacts. Also, make sure that there's no strain on the cable at either end. If the connectors get pulled sideways, they may lose contact.
Makes sense. Will give it a spin and advise. Been a Kenwood guy since buying this radio in 2000. Tempting as it can be from time to time, not going to the (much) cheaper, recent imports. Any radio that handles coming up on two dozen years of hard use under rough conditions represents a quality I want in my truck!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have a TM-731A made in 1990. Never been serviced. Still performs better than spec. Best sounding audio of any analog radio and bulletproof front end. Hears things my IC-9700 struggles with thru the same antenna. Kenwood builds top quality subscriber radios, ham and LMR.