• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

I'm looking for a small compact cb radio to fit in my 2017 Jeep GC.

I bought a Cobra 19 Ultra V, Ultra-Compactis the absolute perfect size but from what I'm hearing that unti is weak and if cannot be tuned or peaked..what would be the best small foot print radio I could go to so I could actually get it tuned and get some power from it? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5661.png
    IMG_5661.png
    144.4 KB · Views: 13

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The OP must be from the future since they feel they need a brand new CB radio "tuned and peaked", although I seemed to have heard that phrase quite often in the past ;) Anyways, most any CB radio will be fine. One compact solution is the Midland 75-822 which I occasionally use. Perhaps that mic hole on the radio you have could be bigger, if your audio is low. Otherwise, leave it alone.

What you really should look at is the antenna and mounting location. I recommend a 102" steel whip antenna on a spring mount located directly center of your roof. Anything less than that and I hope you enjoy even more compromise. A proper antenna not only helps with transmit, but receive as well. Still, if you only plan on communicating with another operator at a distance of 1000 yards or less you can probably get away with a compromised antenna in a compromised location.

Just curious, how'd you get a jeep that won't be built for nearly 900 years? You said you have a 2917 jeep :)
Yeah horrible type I don't know how to fix

The OP must be from the future since they feel they need a brand new CB radio "tuned and peaked", although I seemed to have heard that phrase quite often in the past ;) Anyways, most any CB radio will be fine. One compact solution is the Midland 75-822 which I occasionally use. Perhaps that mic hole on the radio you have could be bigger, if your audio is low. Otherwise, leave it alone.

What you really should look at is the antenna and mounting location. I recommend a 102" steel whip antenna on a spring mount located directly center of your roof. Anything less than that and I hope you enjoy even more compromise. A proper antenna not only helps with transmit, but receive as well. Still, if you only plan on communicating with another operator at a distance of 1000 yards or less you can probably get away with a compromised antenna in a compromised location.
Yeah I have a great antenna I didn't figure these new unit's could have there ears and modulation tuned

he is looking for one of these...
View attachment 157725
I have a few if those

I’m not familiar with all of the new radios, but the old Uniden 510 or 520 absolutely couldn’t be beaten for their size.
As I recall those uniden can have there modulation and what not sit to 15-17watts swing that would be suffice

Don't know how small you need but check out the President line of CB's. The President Johnny III is small and durable (made for jeeps, etc.).
I'll most definitely check them out I've only owned one president it was we a Lincoln 1+2 10,12 meters it was a great radio

2IR473

Premium Subscriber
The Radioddity CS-47 AM/FM CB radio might be worth looking at…
CS-47

This radio is capable of expanding it’s frequency coverage, as well as the ability to have additional transmit power output.

slowmover

I bought a Cobra 19 Ultra V, Ultra-Compactis the absolute perfect size but from what I'm hearing that unti is weak and if cannot be tuned or peaked..what would be the best small foot print radio I could go to so I could actually get it tuned and get some power from it? Thanks in advance.
Any choice needs integrated NRC as obsolete without. Several small size choices. Combine with KL203. Extension speaker recommended.

slowmover

Anytone 6666, small, but 70w PEP output. Great modulated audio with just the mic it comes with. It is powered by the radio. A 15A ciggie plug would be fine.
Lacks NRC. Would need WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker.

Power should always be dedicated.
Not to vehicle wiring.

6666 not “small” as with some offerings. Over halfway to best choice (AT 5555N2 / QT60).

But as with the latter both are full-featured, but only QT60 with necessary NRC.

IMO:
An AM only radio? No SSB? No NRC?
Avoid

I was leaving ABQ one morning headed east up into Tijeras Pass on IH40 and was losing the other driver with whom I was speaking on AM at about 11-miles LOS. We switched to upper Sideband and I was 27-miles away and past a major bend 3,000-ft above him before he lost me for good.

I could still hear him past the point he could hear me (NRC).

Plan for the day roadgoing comms matter.

Last edited: