In Search of the Perfect Mobile Frequency- a Cowgirl's Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Lauri thanks for reviving the blog, road trips are always fun, even from the comfort of my office chair :)

Careful of the scalliwags and dry gulchers on the trail, nowdays the Injuns are the least of your worries!

Hoping your trip is safe and fulfilling! Keep your powder dry!

JD
kf4anc

Thanks Guys ! :)
I was not about to let those creeps drive me off, yet I was not going to allow myself, my friend or the other kind readers to get caught up in their sick little games. I have seen it happen enough in online forums not to want to see it happen here. That's the last of the ghouls I'll mention- Where did I leave off ?

We had stopped for the night just east of St. Louis. There was some debate about the 'morrow's acitvities. Barb want to walk the old Chain of Rocks bridge that spans the Mississippi River northeast of the city. For those not familiar with this bridge, it is a wonderful 'linear park' ( for lack of a better term) that cross's the river, paralleling the new I-270 spur. It is a portion of old US 66 - the famous "Route 66" which is as American as apple pie. It was lovingly repaired and restored- and today families, hikers, day trippers, and cross country travel'rs, like us,-- can drive and walk portions of this old bridge.**
Barb wanted to walk the bridge- it goes from Chouteau Island on the Illinois shore over to Missouri- the St. Louis skyline clear on the southern horizon. On past trips the unobstructed view is perfect line-of-sight VHF to the city from this bridge. She wanted to try a hand-held from the middle of the Mississippi River. But when we arrived at the Chain of Rocks Road turn-off on I-270, I am afraid I freaked---- the Mississippi was at flood stage and the high swirling waters.... scary .... well, next time, St. Louis.
But all was not lost- not hardly! We bought a bag of 'burgers and drove over to the Missouri side and stopped to picnic at the Missouri Welcome Centre. We had barely found a picnic bench (another recommendation- this is a nice rest stop, but do walk the bridge first if you have the time)-- we barely found a table when the Day-Glo paint worked its magic again.
On the way back to the car, once more--- "Are you Hams ?"
The short of it- we just met Bob, K7*** and his wife Kera, KB7** on their way home to ______Wyoming. A family visit had brought them east- now they were heading home. Bob and Kera have made this journey so often that they qualify for frequent driver credits :) They proposed we join them -caravan style- to drive together across Missouri. I-70, they said from MODOT reports (Missouri Dept. of Transport.) had several lengthy delays- and US 50 would be better -- and far more scenic. Plus, they too had a dual band'r, so we would keep in contact on 446.0. (score a point for UHF.)
With Bob driving and Kera directing, we travelled I-70 together until the turn off for Jefferson City.
"Here is where we exit to avoid the construction" she said.
Heading west on US 50 we flew across the state talking about Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, DC- western stories and high jinx's-- The time stood still- that is, until just outside of Kansas City (Lee Summit) which would be our 'Parting of the Ways" - there we all stopped for dinner.
It was Our Treat :)
Lauri :)
** This wasn't always so. It was the site of a terrible murder in 1991. I have an aunt who tells horrifying tales of her, and her friends trespassing out onto this once abandoned bridge,during a cross country trip, circa exactly this time... horrifying since they were there only days before this crime. Watch it at your peril- this is one compelling, gristly, true story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBS2UJ7cgiM
Today, however, it is a place of families and picnics- Rest in peace, Julie and Robin.......
PS, if anyone wants to explore this bridge, do it from the Illinois side- the Missouri parking lot is not safe to leave a car parked in. We have been warned about break-ins any number of times. LC

Last edited by a moderator:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
This brings back memories of so many road trips... some with, and some without ham radio to help make the time pass. You're a damned good story teller. Keep 'em coming!

RFI-EMI-GUY

Thanks Guys ! :)
.(snip)
** This wasn't always so. It was the site of a terrible murder in 1991. I have an aunt who tells horrifying tales of her, and her friends trespassing out onto this once abandoned bridge,during a cross country trip, circa exactly this time... horrifying since they were there only days before this crime. Watch it at your peril- this is one compelling, gristly, true story.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBS2UJ7cgiM
Today, however, it is a place of families and picnics- Rest in peace, Julie and Robin.......
PS, if anyone wants to explore this bridge, do it from the Illinois side- the Missouri parking lot is not safe to leave a car parked in. We have been warned about break-ins any number of times. LC

That was pretty creepy! I can see why there might have been some trepidation about stopping there!

In about 1972, I moved back to Chicago and was staying near the Airport in a 3 BR apartment a friend Dave from school had leased. He needed a third roommate to share costs as one had left. The other guy was from Missouri and was quite the character. His name was John S. He liked beer. Yup Bud Beer. He had a younger girlfriend and lots of stories to tell. He was always treating everyone to meals, was a sharp dresser and had a fancy car. (with license plate tied on with wire). Anyway, about 3 months into this arrangement the apartment had a strange burglary. The burglar did something disgusting as well, leaving a mess.

So John arrived and stayed briefly and made light of the "phantom". Then a day or so later he disappears.

Next, Dave then gets a call from the bank wondering why his checking account is hugely overdrawn. Turns out that every other check from the back of his checkbook had been removed and John had been treating us on Dave's bank account.

So after the cops get called again, we go into Johns room and go through his stuff. He left a ton of expensive clothes and a suitcase with NEWS CLIPPINGS FROM AN UNSOLVED MURDER IN JOPLIN MISSOURI, his hometown.

After leaving Kansas City, we drove on and stopped for the night at Emporia, Kansas. While Kansas City was our actual, official jumping-off point for the Santa Fe Trail (following it was one of the reasons for this trip, after all,) we didn't consider ourselves truly "abroad on the Great Plains" until here we turned off the Interstate. From now on, were would be sight seers, and not driving to cover miles- like out of one of my picturesque sayings- driving "like we were killing snakes."
Which brings me instantly to your creepy tale of Room Mate John, RFI. The thought sends a shiver up my spine- makes you wonder-- What happened to that 'creature '! (the makings of things for my Halloween's ghost stories about a campfire :) )
And which naturally can't but keep me from running off on an aside from the radio topic; but just for a sec-- its my nature I'm afraid :)
Once upon a time, I was posted as a technical liaison in a Central American country. I lived in the capitol, but even in the centre of a modern city there were 'crawly things' - big venomous bugs, snakes---
One night I was awaken'd by the sounds of what I thought was a wisk broom, or a piece of crumpled newspaper moving along the edge of my room. Very soft, almost imperceptible. I turned on my bedside lamp, saw nothing and fell back to sleep.
The next day, on returning home my housekeeper approached me with a serious look on her face.
"Ven aquí y mira lo que tiene mi marido" (come see what my husband has)
Out on the patio, her husbad picked up a dead six foot 'Yellow Jaw' (Fer de Lance)- one of the most deadly, aggressive snakes in the Americas.
"Estaba en tu habitación, la encontré esta mañana" (it was in your bedroom, I found it there this morning)
So much for that night's mystery sound. Nothing like living with 'snakes' - the two and the no legged varieties............ :)
We were heading toward the Santa Fe trail at McPherson- but along the way we stopped at the little crossroads of Elmdale to drive to the top of the tall hill I know of that dominates the region. From up there, festooned with 'cel towers, the radio range would be awesome (I always trust the 'cel guys to pick the best places :) )
We gave a "K#*** is on 52, is there anyone out there??"
Almost immedately a fellow came back to us, but with a noticeable squelch tail at the end of his transmission. Ah !... a Remote Base.
He was mobile near Emporia, using a simple remote based arranged transceiver in crossband mode- 440/ 2 metre's. He gave us the 440 frequency but we couldn't access his machine. During the pleasant chat with him, a herd of cows that also claim this hill top pasture discovered us. There were a bout 30 to 40 yearlings that found us the most interesting thing going that morning, and soon surrounded our car. That's cool- Cattle ! we were home in the West !
But shortly one, then another began to regard our outside rear view mirrors as articles of food, or at least something that might be tasty. This brought an end to our hilltopping and we left shortly.
Carefully securing the gate at the bottom of the hill, we regained the state highway.

.........OMG !!
If we weren't driving, that picture alone is worth a shot out of the Wild Turkey (Bourbon) stock we have in the trunk... to clear THAT image from my head....:)
Lauri

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
'Til The Cows Came Home

Lauri, this should be the rule of thumb wherever you go in your ventures. Til the cows come home, and start munching your vehicle. Then, it is time to 'regain the Trail' lol. Girl you are a hoot, and I truly enjoy your posts.

When I was out there rolling I was always reading at times when I was away from radios and puters and guitars in my truck. I have always been a voracious reader, and usually had a paperback in my back pocket for all of the hurry up and wait times I had on the job. Westerns, biographies, true crime, history. If it wasn't Louis L'Amour in my pocket it was Ann Rule or James Lee Burke. I read the book about the Chain of Rock bridge murders years ago, never saw the movie. Creepy stuff to walk in their steps, I'll bet. I'm like you in that regard, love to know the history of the places where I am or where I am going, makes it so much more interesting, good or bad.

Be sure to check out Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, and the old historic 6th Street section there for some great photo ops! Pics! Pics! We want to see some pics!

As always, be safe and aware of your surroundings!

JD
kf4anc

My sidekick just chimed in with;
".......Snakes !, why would it have to be SNAKES? !!.... I hate snakes...."
.......................................Indiana Jones

We were now traveling parallel to the Santa Fe Trail, driving along on US 56. At McPherson we "Officially' joined the trail- officially, at least as we figured it. The weather behaving- its beautiful !- Fall is upon the Great Plains.
There are so many things to see, and stops along the way to see them- but I can get too heavily distract'd here if I try and share them all. I'll try- try, that is-- and stick to The Perfect Frequency search... :)
Unfortunately the remainder of the day was devoid of anymore '52' activity- nary a squelch break- though we gave out frequent "Q R Zed 52"'s at frequent intervals, especially while driving thru townes, and from any tall hill tops the highway passed over.
At Great Bend, we stopped at a Dillion's for more 'trail snack's.' We went our separate ways thru the store, and arriving back at the car Barb said
"How how sweet !.... Flowers !,.. for me?"..... was there considerable sarcasm in her voice ?
"In your dreams, Sister" :)
Among the other items I bought (principally "Sunchips"- those cheese cover'd snak chips we are **Addict'd** to) I had bought a bouquet of flowers.
"You'll see what these are for," I smiled
One of my favorite stops along the Trail is unsung, obscure Pawnee Rock. Yet in its day it represented a significant landmark on the way to Santa Fe. Its a outcropping of sandstone that stands prominently above the rolling countryside. Today it is a Kansas State historical site- noted for the countless names carved upon its rock faces by early pioneers and travelers.
One of those travelers, perhaps my favorite- was Susan Shelby Magoffin; thought to be the first American woman to make this journey from Missouri to Santa Fe. She stopped here and carved her name upon the rock on July 4th, 1846.
You can drive up to the top of the rock; park, walk and eat lunch among the trees. Which we did.
Its unknown where Susan carved her name- its doubtful it survived the last +170 years.
But walking about its cliff faces ...
"This is where the flowers will go" I said.
And carefully placing them in a niche in the rocks, I said my silent tribute to this brave young woman.
Susan Shelby .............. 30 July 1827 -- 26 October 1855 (she was only 28) **
Well, the rest of day was not completely radio free. While rearranging the stuff in the car, Barbi idly dialed the Ranger thru the CB band. On channel 40, "Bingo !" - a strong (nearby?) signal. We listened for a bit- it was a farmer talking to his wife from a tractor out in a close-by field. Barbi broke in and had a short chat with him as I drove us off the hill. It continued until we quickly out distanced the CB's short range.
Next stop: Fort Larned

**look her up; her diary is full of the early West.
(Down the Santa Fe Trail and Into Mexico: The Diary of Susan Shelby Magoffin)

DJ11DLN

The "surrounded by cows" story both rang a bell and made me chuckle. Some people think farmers are terrible drivers because their pickup mirrors are always broken or askew. Nope, we just have cattle, LOL!

Great story, looking forward to more of it. Be safe.

Smiles DJ !
You are So correct !
At my home in Colorado I don't run cattle, but I do lease land to the neighboring ranchers. I wish I didn't like hamburgers so much because I get attached to the beeves. That is, until they break thru the fences and eat my gardens- Oh ... but the yearlings are so cute........ What a hypocrite this makes me feel like.

N2AL

Smiles DJ !
You are So correct !
At my home in Colorado I don't run cattle, but I do lease land to the neighboring ranchers. I wish I didn't like hamburgers so much because I get attached to the beeves. That is, until they break thru the fences and eat my gardens- Oh ... but the yearlings are so cute........ What a hypocrite this makes me feel like.

Don’t feel bad about eating cattle. If you were a vegetarian/vegan, you would complain about the cattle eating your delicious green plants! Either way something has to be eaten, might as well be the good-tasting cattle and not the rabbit food!

majoco

Stirrer
If you were a vegetarian/vegan, you would complain about the cattle eating your delicious green plants!

I just consider myself to be a second-hand vegetarian - I eat the animals that eat all the vegetables ..... :)

Smiles everyone :)
I realized that I am running out of time. Tonight we are in Taos (New Mexico) - tomorrow is but a quick skip home to "The Hill'- which will end this journey and this journal.
So let me fast forward thru the past days.
We stopped at Fort Larned: I mentioned it a few days ago when we were 'dry gulched' by clowns. I don't want to minimize this neat stop along the Trail by skipping quickly over it- its blacksmith shop, hospital, bakery, quarter master's and sutler stores, officers quarters, parade grounds----- definitely make for a wonderful stop, especially for those that love American history.
Then there was Dodge City. This marked our choice to take the southern, or 'dry route,' called the Cimarron Cutoff. It was the shorter route to Santa Fe, but in dry seasons, it could be a killer- literally. We were next to trek down the Oklahoma panhandle and across New Mexico's Llano Estacado (the staked plains- so noted because early travelers mark'd the feature-less high plains desert with stakes to guide themselves and others across... and more importantly- as a guide to the watering holes-- for to miss one of those could mean death.)
But first came Dodge City.... and what can I say about Dodge ?... it is quinessential Western, though a tad on the commercial side. Still worth a look.
And I was admonish by my Sidekick to not use any clichés like "get out of Dodge" - I sort'a bit my tongue.
What about the radios ?
Getting back to that..... Fast Forward yet again- this time to a National Monument- the Capulin Volcano. This extinct volcano rises to +8000 feet, towering high above the New Mexico plains. There is road all the way to the top, and you can drive it easily. It spirals up the side and the views of the Llano are worth every inch. At the top we walked about the crater and, returning to the car, tried our luck at "52."
We hit the Golconda of simplex !
Immediately we were making contacts clear up along the Colorado Front Range to the North- mobiles along I-25 to the West, and East back towards Amarillo Texas.
We called our mountain topping a VOTA (Volcanos on the Air- a play on SCOTA - Summits on the....) Despite what many may say about the dearth of activity on 52, just find a really high spot in the West and you'll be amazed.
When we seemly exhausted our radio energies, we drove down the volcano and off towards Taos. Or intended to. Shortly before the turn off for I-25 (we were following US 64) someone got the bright idea to pull off the side of the rod to take some pictures. That someone got us immediately stuck in a shoulder of sand. It doesn't matter if its a few feet or several miles of sand back to the pavement- stuck is stuck. One guess as to the clever driver- and her name doesn't begin with "B."
We sat there a few minutes, puzzling out what to do, who to call, when a rancher drove up in a pickup truck, rolled down a window and said.
"The sand is kind'a deep there, isn't it girls ?" :)
He didn't have anything to pull us out with, but a quick call brought his son out with big flat bed and a huge chain. In less time than it took to type this he had us out. Neither father or son would take a cent for what they did to rescue us, but we had no trouble getting them to accept a bottle of something we'd "imported" from Kentucky.
Thanks, Cowboys !

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> Tonight we are in Taos (New Mexico) - tomorrow is but a quick skip home to "The Hill'- which will end this journey and this journal. <snip>

Oh no, say it ain't so! That was way too fast! It's the weekend. How about heading south then west through Arizona and then up through California and Oregon to Washington state and then back to "The Hill" via Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and Colorado? I need more stories and y'all just gettin warmed up! Puleeeeeeez? :wink:

Dave

End of the Trail

Today marks the end of the "Search." We are still quite a few miles from home, but knowing how hectic the next couple of days will be, this is my sign-off.
Aside from a great cross country trip, did we accomplish the search for the "Perfect Mobile Frequency ?" I'll let those that followed our log decide. There was nothing that surprised us, though plenty that pleased us. The Canadian cave explorers, the truck driver named Dozer, Bob and Kera from Wyoming- but nice people abound everywhere- its just the serendipitous encounters that make for the stories. A little radio magic ties it all together.
We'll be home shortly, houses that have been closed up for weeks reopenned, milk to buy, a trip down to Santa Fe to return this rental car- and some day too soon, a flight back to Washington.
Hey Guys, Thanks for riding along with us. 73's !
....¡Ve con Dios mis amigos! .. :)

Lauri and Barb :)

Attachments

• 622-364kbs.jpg
    622-364kbs.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 255
Status
Not open for further replies.