Info on Ohio Marcs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the Columbus area,I have uniden 396xt. I would like to know how I'm able to pick up,statewide OSP,I'm picking up the ohio turnpike. Robert

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I live in the Columbus area,I have uniden 396xt. I would like to know how I'm able to pick up,statewide OSP,I'm picking up the ohio turnpike. Robert

The simple explanation is that someone in the Columbus area has a radio set to that talkgroup. It's more involved than that from a technical standpoint but basically that's it.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I have no clue, I'm just guessing here, But don't they use linked repeaters to cover the whole state?

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
OSP District Post 10

I travel the turnpike a lot and I do believe that they are dispatched via Columbus. There is always an officer that doesn't normally work the toll road referring to dispatch as Columbus until they let him in on the secret that dispatch goes by "10". Just maybe this may have something to do with you picking up the toll road.
I also pick up Columbus area traffic while up on the toll road. It's not even out of the norm to pick up the lower counties in the state also. Keep in mind that this is a state wide system so just maybe at anytime you could just about hear traffic from anywhere within the state.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
I travel the turnpike a lot and I do believe that they are dispatched via Columbus. There is always an officer that doesn't normally work the toll road referring to dispatch as Columbus until they let him in on the secret that dispatch goes by "10". Just maybe this may have something to do with you picking up the toll road.
I also pick up Columbus area traffic while up on the toll road. It's not even out of the norm to pick up the lower counties in the state also. Keep in mind that this is a state wide system so just maybe at anytime you could just about hear traffic from anywhere within the state.

Columbus HQ doesn't dispatch for any of the posts. When a turnpike unit calls their dispatch "10" he is refering to district 10, which is the highway patrol district for the turnpike. The turnpike units are dispatched by the Bera Post, which is also district 10 HQ. Before the patrol started their dispatch consolidation the units always refered to dispatch by the post number, now they call dispatch by the name of the post that is dispatching for them.

AMDXP

Premium Subscriber
This is the way that MARCS is designed. It allows for communication from any part of the state to any part of the state. In a basic sense it is like the state's own private cell network.

As an example, If I were a Fire Chief in Northern Ohio and had traveled,say, to Southern Ohio and a major incident occurred, I could still monitor and communicate back from where I was at in Southern Ohio with out changing talk-groups.

That's the simple explanation.

muskrat99

I would say it's possible because I live in adams county and have no problem listening to OSP as far as Kings Island, Columbus area, the helicopter that spots for marijuana in the columbus area, shawnee state park and other stuff only using a Radio Shack pro-2096 w/ a 800mhz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.