Interesting encrypted traffic on TPI P25

Monkey1911

Hey all,

Down from Idaho for an event this weekend, was running DSD+FL And saw some interesting IDs on a few encrypted talkgroups on the TPI system. I believe it's disused because it was very little information on it's RR page. TG numbers 8C2 hex and 17D5 hex. IDs were all 7mil and 5mil ranges. Saw both ADP and AES in use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Down from Idaho for an event this weekend, was running DSD+FL And saw some interesting IDs on a few encrypted talkgroups on the TPI system. I believe it's disused because it was very little information on it's RR page. TG numbers 8C2 hex and 17D5 hex. IDs were all 7mil and 5mil ranges. Saw both ADP and AES in use.

Keep in mind submissions to the RR database are submitted by listeners and supposed to be "CONFIRMED" usage before being submitted, so if the talkgroups are encrypted it is very difficult to confirm the usage. Many systems will have encrypted TGs that have yet to be identified.

On our state system and on the Duke Energy system in my area there are TGs heard daily that are not submitted due to encryption and having unconfirmed usage.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
there are TGs heard daily that are not submitted due to encryption and having unconfirmed usage.

I log, tag and record as much as possible. My system has a good two handfuls of enc and there are radios that do tx on clear tg's but I have a bunch that strictly stay on enc which makes it impossible to id the tg. Very tedious process.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I log, tag and record as much as possible. My system has a good two handfuls of enc and there are radios that do tx on clear tg's but I have a bunch that strictly stay on enc which makes it impossible to id the tg. Very tedious process.

Even knowing the users, by radio ID ranges, it is nearly impossible to confirm usage, especially if there are multiple agencies on one TG.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I fixed it for you, now go find something else to complain about.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread complaining about the OP, just people trying to help. @dave3825 comment about the list post was right on point since TPI is a private system and the list @nd5y posted was for the TX state system and would not help with the other states.

EDIT: However, he has pointed out later that the RIDs match the state system, so it might help some.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Down from Idaho for an event this weekend, was running DSD+FL And saw some interesting IDs on a few encrypted talkgroups on the TPI system.

It's the Texas forum and that's where the system discussed in this thread is located.

And though the OP is from Idaho he was visiting Texas, so good suggestion @nd5y

And, I'll add, on some systems local agencies use RIDs that match the state system requirements, in case the radios are used on the state system. This is what my county does, even though the majority of radios are not used on that system.

Last edited:

nd5y

Tx DPS and the Feds - Probably DEA or FBI.
I didn't even know what TPI was at first. I had to look it up. I didn't know if it had any users now. Nobody ever submitted any TGs for it but I remember seeing posts about DPS using it several years ago.

It was started a long time ago and looks like it changed hands and db names several times.
It was supposed to be for interoperability 10 years ago or more. Way before Dallas joined NTIRN and before GMRS and some other systems. They only built one site that I know of on the "green building" in downown Dallas. During band openings I ran Unitrunker on it several times and never logged anything.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The TPI system is simply a surplus Quantar based Astro 25 site with PSC9600s sitting up in the "Green Weenie" at 901 Main in Dallas (thus the SID being 901). No core (so it's advertising site trunking). Most of the folks who have permission to use it...simply are told to use the IDs issued to them for their home systems. For example, I have multiple systems in my radios...all with the same ID since that has become the standard in the state per the SWIC's interoperability plan.

Monkey1911

Thanks for all the info folks, I'd try to verify more if I could but I just got home after flying back up to Idaho first thing this morning. I was in a hurry to get packed up and accidently nuked the log with the actual radio IDs, so all I can recall was the 2 TG IDs and the ranges of the radios.

Thanks!
Tim - N7MOW