SDS100/SDS200: Is there any way to use the replay feature on the SDS 100 without the battery?

sunnydog1

Premium Subscriber
So unfortunately the battery on my SDS 100 swelled up and blew battery cover off. Now I'm a little leery of getting a new battery for it and was wondering if there's any way to use the replay feature without the battery. I use athe scanner mainly as a desktop scanner so I can't really justify the risk of a new battery. If I want to go mobile with it I have an external battery pack I can plug the scanner into. Thankfully I was home when it happened and there was no fire no damage to the scanner other than the broken battery clip. Thanks

Ubbe

was wondering if there's any way to use the replay feature without the battery.
Yes.

/Ubbe

AvidHiker

I'm fairly confident that folks who are having these battery problems have the scanner set to charge while on (maintaining a constant SoC of 100%). This can not only cause swelling problems, it's also really bad for battery longevity. I've never had a battery swelling issue and run my scanner off USB power 90% of the time. What I do differently is I charge the battery to around 4V (around 75% SoC) and then change the "charge while on" setting to off.

Ubbe

I'm fairly confident that folks who are having these battery problems have the scanner set to charge while on
No, people have had the battery stored externally without any charge and it still expanded. With these kind of battery types it is important to balance the cells, so that they have the same charge, but Uniden have its three cells connected in parallel, making it impossible to balance them. One cell can be constantly over charged and another under charged.

/Ubbe

Ace9133uwu

|-/ Nothing kills man faster than his own head.
Premium Subscriber
I'm fairly confident that folks who are having these battery problems have the scanner set to charge while on (maintaining a constant SoC of 100%). This can not only cause swelling problems, it's also really bad for battery longevity. I've never had a battery swelling issue and run my scanner off USB power 90% of the time. What I do differently is I charge the battery to around 4V (around 75% SoC) and then change the "charge while on" setting to off.
Thank you! Glad I’m not the only one to realize this. All of my handheld scanners, and HT’s when plugged in/power on are never charging for this exact reason. The only time I charge is when I let ‘em get low.

AvidHiker

No, people have had the battery stored externally without any charge and it still expanded. With these kind of battery types it is important to balance the cells, so that they have the same charge, but Uniden have its three cells connected in parallel, making it impossible to balance them. One cell can be constantly over charged and another under charged.

/Ubbe
Interesting, well, I continue to believe what I'm doing is better for the battery regardless. From what I've read, the guys on various RC hobby forums have also found their LiPOs have a tendency to swell when stored above 4V or so (some even have a built-in BMS that will automatically discharge the cells after a period of time).

Ubbe

I continue to believe what I'm doing is better for the battery regardless.
It is. But for scanner batteries you'll need them to be fully charged so you can take the scanner with you at any time and expect the battery to keep the scanner running for more than a couple of hours. As it only charges with 1/10 of it's capacity it takes a long time to charge compared to R/C models where you can charge at 1/1 or even 2/1 and then charge time doesn't matter much and you can keep the cells at 30% when not in use.

LiPO batteries for R/C models require more care, not storing them fully charged and so on while the Li-Ion battery in SDS100 are more forgiving and not needing that kind of care, if its quality are good.

/Ubbe

VoicesInMyHead

Premium Subscriber
My SDS100, which I have had for nearly two years, is always plugged in, is set to charge while on, and the battery is fine... no swelling, no decrease in operating time... works just like it did when it was brand new.