iSCAN Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
iScan, that's awesome Don! Good to see GRE is listening to the ideas.

Finally, SD memory capacity. Now we need P25 and audio recording. :twisted:

I'm sure you have some great program ready for the memory management and control already.

Kudos to GRE!

DickH

iScan, that's awesome Don! Good to see GRE is listening to the ideas.
Finally, SD memory capacity. Now we need P25 and audio recording. :twisted:
I'm sure you have some great program ready for the memory management and control already.
Kudos to GRE!

Yes, some great new features there, but the thing looks FUNKY.
And I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall .... the iSCAN-D. New model for digital and $$$$$.:)

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I really like this!
"iSCAN is the first handheld scanner designed to use high capacity SD Card memory. iSCAN uses SD Card memory to hold the entire RadioReference database for the United States"

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Just browse to your favorite system playlist and BAM! your scanning.:twisted:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
So the question begs, what happens when the database is updated (like daily, for statewide systems)? Do we have a method to download the whole database, part of the database, or all of the above?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
First thing... "iScan?" sounds like a ripe opening for a copyright infrinement from the iPhone guys...

The idea of an SD-RAM card is nice.

No keypad... severely limits in-the-field programming when you have no laptop to connect to the internet so you can download the radioreference database.

I'm assuming that any "custom" programming will need software and cable.

And it would appear that you must love a lot of drill-down menus to get to exactly what you want.
A lot of push the button versus rotary control like an iPod.
STATE--> COUNTY--> SYSTEM --> TALKGROUP GROUP --> TALKGROUP ID

Better solution would be to add on/improve on the PSR-500s:
- SD RAM for additional memory
- 100 scanlists
- Increased number of control channels for Motorola systems (like Indiana's Hoosier SAFE-T)
- Provoice, NexEdge, and D-Star digital formats
- LTR Multinet, LTR Passport, MPT-1327, NexEdge trunking

And why hasn't anyone came out with a 2-meter amateur radio combination with something like a PSR-500???

Seriously... this would be a good Black Friday grab if it's below $100.
Otherwise with no digital... not worth the money at this time!!!

"You got questions? So do we!!!"

Voyager

Also, is this preprogrammed only? Is it PC-programmed only?

Holding the entire RR dB is impressive. I hope there is a way to add to it and fix incorrect info (yes, I have submitted corrections to RR dB admins).

Joe M.

Voyager

I doubt they could sue based on the use of the letter 'i'.

WRT most of those formats, they are proprietary and would require licenses from their format holders. Otherwise, you are in the realm of copyright infringement.

Joe M.

First thing... "iScan?" sounds like a ripe opening for a copyright infrinement from the iPhone guys...

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
No keypad... severely limits in-the-field programming when you have no laptop to connect to the internet so you can download the radioreference database.

I'm assuming that any "custom" programming will need software and cable.

The keypad isn't as big an issue when all the database is there. I'm just concerned about what/how the alpha-tag will be displayed.

The preliminary manual says the PC/IF -> USB cable is included.

Won't see it, moving on...

Seriously... this would be a good Black Friday grab if it's below $100.
Otherwise with no digital... not worth the money at this time!!!

I hear Steely Dan <playing in the background>, When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna stake my claim - I'll guess I'll change my name :lol:

No, you'll poke your "i" out - Mrs. Parker says to Ralphie. :D

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Apple loves this... another i ripoff WEG.... So with the iscanner do GRE get to sue iphone for the scanner apps to go away??? Or does GRE and apple work together to make the next gen iscanners.. in different colors, sizes, capabilities... iscanner II, its digital, its blue, smaller yet more memmory and has clone through interenet like a "i playlist" using itunes, though I know Don Starr already has an plan for this... :) Now for iscanner III, its so small itll fit on a watchband.... All functions of the PSR's and XT's with pure pc control etc... WEG! Now we get to see just what technology can do.

DonS

So what happens if RR goes the way of Strong Signals Thanks but NO THANKS!!!

That's unlikely in the extreme. RR will go away when Lindsay kicks off.

Even if/when RR goes away, you can still program the new scanner from the included PC app (if I'm correctly reading the manual on the FCC site).

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Think about it folks, the target market for this scanner does not include a single person in this thread, however everyone in this thread will buy the radio. :)

Also, we have a business succession plan in development (and a lot already in place) - so if I decide to drink 8 martini's tonight, the Web site will still survive, and the database will still be active and maintained.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Not to mention the hundreds of copies of the CD Rom out there... :) Someone will keep this data around even if LB III were to God forbid ever kick the bucket, or have to shut down for any reason.... There is always a willing nutcase out here that loves to do this stuff.. Hmmm... If I had the resources ...... Anyway, rr.com ain't going away anytime soon..

And please take my earlier post with a sense of humor... Still.. I ponder the idea of an wrist watch sized super scanner...... In blue....

:twisted:

DonS

Think about it folks, the target market for this scanner does not include a single person in this thread, however everyone in this thread will buy the radio.

Speak for yourself ;)

I thought as much when I first heard the idea. However...

99% of the traffic I want to hear around here is analog. I haven't carried my PSR-500 with me in months; my "other radio" fits much more nicely in my pockets.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Think about it folks, the target market for this scanner does not include a single person in this thread, however everyone in this thread will buy the radio. :)

What on earth would make you believe that?!? :lol:

Also, we have a business succession plan in development (and a lot already in place) - so if I decide to drink 8 martini's tonight, the Web site will still survive, and the database will still be active and maintained.

...crackel...In the news today, Lindsay Blanton, President of Radioreference, LLC. was moved to an undisclosed location due to the terrorist Martini incident. Rest asured he'll be fine, and has his iScan in hand to keep him occupied, the fate of the database is secure...

Status
Not open for further replies.