BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Issue With Speaker?

BC2001

Jesse
So I have this BCD996P2 that I've had 4-5 years now. But I am now having an issue with it: The other day, when I turned it on, it worked fine for a few minutes, but then it has no audio coming from the speaker. Just FYI, here are things I've already checked/considered:
1) Happens even on channels with no PL/DPL/NAC, ETC entered.
2) No external speaker is connected
3) I already tried turning squelch to zero and volume up.

Anyway, so I turned the scanner off for a while. Later that day, I plugged it back in, and it was working fine. Then, voilà: the audio is gone again.

Anything at all I can try? Or am I just gonna have to send it in to Uniden? I'd like to find a fix myself as I am not able to pay the repair fee at the moment.

Solution
plug a headphone into the jack when it happens again to see if it fixes it.
my 396T and 396XT also had that problem, and other unidens judging by how many folks asked about it.
i was going to make my 396T a base with a computer speaker connected to it.
but when i pulled out the speaker it worked again.

wtp

plug a headphone into the jack when it happens again to see if it fixes it.
my 396T and 396XT also had that problem, and other unidens judging by how many folks asked about it.
i was going to make my 396T a base with a computer speaker connected to it.
but when i pulled out the speaker it worked again.

Solution

Ubbe

It could be that headphone jack gone bad. I had one BCT15 go silent but headphone worked and it was the switch in the headphone jack that disables the speaker that didn't work. I soldered a wire over its two solder blobs on its little circuit board and audio where restored. To silence the speaker when a headphone are used I have to insert a plug without a speaker in the external speaker jack.

Take scanners casing off and remove the lid whit the speaker and plug in power and with sq at 0 and some volume you wiggle on the peaker cable and push on the circuit board at the headphone jack to see if that helps. Maybe a splash of contact cleaner in the jack can help.

/Ubbe

tvengr

Well Known Member
Dirty contacts on both the headphone and external speaker jacks can mute the internal speaker. Try inserting and removing a plug numerous times in both jacks. Contact cleaner may help. You can also try reseating the speaker plug inside the scanner. Check that the solder connections on the speaker wires and the tinsel going to the voice coil on the speaker cone are OK.