Jefferson City, MO - State moving ahead with new emergency radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelleys1

Ballwin, MO - We are moving to Austin, TX 1 Mar. 2
Does anyone have any updates or new information on the emergency radio system?

Kevin

I was in a Missouri Communications Mitigation meeting earlier this week in Jefferson City and the same question was raised. It seems there has been no further information on the statewide emergency radio system. It could be (but I have no idea if it will) that this series of meetings and gathering of information from them may have an impact and then final decisions made on the system, but that was speculation. But as of right now, nothing further has been released.

Shelley
K0SHL

wb0wao

According to the agenda, there will be an update given at next months Emergeny Management Conference in Branson. I am sure that we will know more then.

Dennis

shelleys1

I'm missing the Emergency Mgmt Conference for the first time in a while, too many conflicts here right now. But some DPS interoperable people were in the meeting with us this past week - it wasn't Steve but people who work directly with him. There wasn't any new information about the statewide system, as I mentioned, but there were certainly discussions about Missouri interoperability which covers not just cities and counties but agencies and other entities as well. This is something which almost always takes place in meetings like that these days.

The agenda shows the topic as being a Statewide Interoperability Update. I'm not sure if that means they'll be releasing the details of the statewide emergency radio system or not. It looks to me as though they're still not quite sure. But that's just my take on it - nothing more. It would be nice if it were an "announcement" or details of the radio system but personally, I don't believe they're ready to do so.

Shelley
K0SHL

Last edited:

shelleys1

Yes, the frequency and tower issues have been a primary focus (and topic of discussion) from the start. Also mobility/portability into areas which may not or will not have initial access to the system. There are some other things which are still in discussion and although the goal of a fall construction start is out there, that could be somewhat overly ambitious. It doesn't mean they won't make it - it's just that they still have some fairly substantial obstacles to deal with.

Shelley
K0SHL

iamhere300

Yes, the frequency and tower issues have been a primary focus (and topic of discussion) from the start. Also mobility/portability into areas which may not or will not have initial access to the system. There are some other things which are still in discussion and although the goal of a fall construction start is out there, that could be somewhat overly ambitious. It doesn't mean they won't make it - it's just that they still have some fairly substantial obstacles to deal with.

Shelley
K0SHL

Absolutely, most of the tower issues are resolved, but finding all those VHF frequencies is still being a hurdle.

Part of the solution is in the Tetra Tech survey, but that is turning out to be very problematic ( and will continue to be IMHO, many agencies are going to pencil whip it)

shelleys1

Absolutely, most of the tower issues are resolved, but finding all those VHF frequencies is still being a hurdle.

Part of the solution is in the Tetra Tech survey, but that is turning out to be very problematic ( and will continue to be IMHO, many agencies are going to pencil whip it)

VHF very well may not be the platform. It is still an issue for availability, as you pointed out, and other reasons.

As you no doubt know, Terra Tech has done and is doing several projects throughout MO. They are familiar with both the topography and the problematic situations Mo has and has had with soil and erosion in many areas throughout the state even before their survey, which made them a good choice for the job. I agree it will continue to be to be a problem and am not qualified to know how it will be solved. Thus I am definitely concerned about the solution/outcome.

All of the above make me believe it will be at least into the first half of 2010, possibly a little later, before we hear any firm details on the emergency radio system. There are also a few other factors but they are still in the discussion stage.

Shelley
K0SHL

iamhere300

VHF very well may not be the platform. It is still an issue for availability, as you pointed out, and other reasons.

The system was bid as a VHF system in outstate. It will be a VHF system in outstate.

Guaranteed. You may believe it or not, but it will be.

That is not what the UASI areas will be, but the majority of the land mass of the state of Missouri
will be VHF.

iamhere300

As you no doubt know, Terra Tech has done and is doing several projects throughout MO. They are familiar with both the topography and the problematic situations Mo has and has had with soil and erosion in many areas throughout the state even before their survey, which made them a good choice for the job. I agree it will continue to be to be a problem and am not qualified to know how it will be solved. Thus I am definitely concerned about the solution/outcome.

Who/What is Terra Tech, and what does erosion have to do with the system?

Tetra tech is doing a state wide tactical interoperability plan survey - and that is what I was
refering to - asking agencies what narrowband radios they have, what wide band radios they have, where their tower sites are, who owns them, if there is space available for more antennas, what frequencies do they use, where, etc.

I am doing nearly 20 agencies as of this point - my concern with it is some agencies may just pencil whip much of the information to fill out the survey.

The applicability to the statewide trunking system is that this may provide valuable information for the buildout regarding existing towers that are not in the FCC database, etc.

shelleys1

Who/What is Terra Tech, and what does erosion have to do with the system?

Tetra tech is doing a state wide tactical interoperability plan survey - and that is what I was
refering to - asking agencies what narrowband radios they have, what wide band radios they have, where their tower sites are, who owns them, if there is space available for more antennas, what frequencies do they use, where, etc.

I am doing nearly 20 agencies as of this point - my concern with it is some agencies may just pencil whip much of the information to fill out the survey.

The applicability to the statewide trunking system is that this may provide valuable information for the buildout regarding existing towers that are not in the FCC database, etc.

I misunderstood what you were working with Terra Tech on. Is there more than one company working in Missouri called Terra Tech?? The Terra Tech (Terra Technologies) I'm familiar with is a company which has worked within Missouri for years - working on land sites. They would also be a company which could possibly work with the best places to put towers (land stability, etc.).

You're no doubt right on VHF. It is DHS and FEMA who are slowing things down (please don't quote me! LOL) with further meetings, analysis requests and the rest of the red tape they bring to the table with other frequency bandwidths.

I've found, in the past, that so many of the agencies don't really know (or care) about the information they're being queried about. So yes, they just pencil in as little as possible and send it back. The information is often incomplete, some incorrect and doesn't supply much, if any, of the needed data.

The concerns that were discussed about the VHF system that we were focused on were primarly that to obtain the needed frequencies, build the system and put it into operation within a reasonable amount of time appeared not to be possible. The number of VHF frequencies necessary just weren't there - at least not in the next couple of years. There were maybe a few ways to obtain them but nothing was for sure. Then again, there are always ways to convince some agencies to "give up" seldom used frequencies and also find the splinter frequencies which are showing up as agencies are narrowbanding.

One last question - how much applicable data can you get from 20 agencies? I'm NOT trying to be rude!! There are so many agencies in MO and so many large agencies across the state - I wonder how much good information it will get for you. Again, not trying to question what you're doing or anything else - just wondering about it.

Shelley
K0SHL

iamhere300

One last question - how much applicable data can you get from 20 agencies? I'm NOT trying to be rude!! There are so many agencies in MO and so many large agencies across the state - I wonder how much good information it will get for you. Again, not trying to question what you're doing or anything else - just wondering about it.

Shelley
K0SHL

It actually has grown by a few in the past hour.

When you have designed, sold, installed, and maintained an agencies system for years, it is fairly easy to do a proper and effective survey. Some of the agencies that we have not done all that for are actually requiring a site visit, but as a region we are working with all that require help.

Wearing two hats, one on the commercial side, the other on the public safety side helps.

shelleys1

It actually has grown by a few in the past hour.

When you have designed, sold, installed, and maintained an agencies system for years, it is fairly easy to do a proper and effective survey. Some of the agencies that we have not done all that for are actually requiring a site visit, but as a region we are working with all that require help.

Wearing two hats, one on the commercial side, the other on the public safety side helps.

Wearing both hats absolutely helps, no question! And yes, if one hasn't worked with or designed systems for a particular agency, department or region, etc. a site visit would be important. Occasionally even that isn't complete - St. Louis City could be an example - but I won't go there... :roll:

Shelley
K0SHL

TooLate

Shellys1
Been following your discussion on the progress on the new emergency system in MO. Don't wish to derail that thread but need to ask a couple of questions (albeit elementary...hence the reason for this request). Is there a link or spot to PM you for some up-to-date info. regarding the use of this system by the Mo Highway Patrol?

Please accept my apologies for the interruption. But, you are one of the few postings that is as recent as this week. All my other research here carries back months to years. And, while I've been out of the mix for a while, I'm trying desperately to get back up to speed in the shortest time period possible.

Thank you in advance.

TL

shelleys1

Shellys1
Been following your discussion on the progress on the new emergency system in MO. Don't wish to derail that thread but need to ask a couple of questions (albeit elementary...hence the reason for this request). Is there a link or spot to PM you for some up-to-date info. regarding the use of this system by the Mo Highway Patrol?

Please accept my apologies for the interruption. But, you are one of the few postings that is as recent as this week. All my other research here carries back months to years. And, while I've been out of the mix for a while, I'm trying desperately to get back up to speed in the shortest time period possible.

Thank you in advance.

TL

Don't know if I have the answers you're looking for and have replied to you privately - you should have the reply. Hope I can be of some help.

Shelley
K0SHL

iamhere300

Missouri is now gathering the locations that the MTAC base stations will be installed. These Motorola dual band control stations not only will have MTAC capability, but also capable of being used on the VHF statewide trunking system, as well as interop channels on 800/700. PSAP's across the state will be recieving these.

The VHF P25 trunking system that the state has been planning for the past couple of years is starting construction in the bootheel Troop E region, and build from there north west, eventually covering the state. Troop E will be first, adjoining troops should be online this winter.

wb0wao

Missouri is now gathering the locations that the MTAC base stations will be installed. These Motorola dual band control stations not only will have MTAC capability, but also capable of being used on the VHF statewide trunking system, as well as interop channels on 800/700. PSAP's across the state will be recieving these.

The VHF P25 trunking system that the state has been planning for the past couple of years is starting construction in the bootheel Troop E region, and build from there north west, eventually covering the state. Troop E will be first, adjoining troops should be online this winter.

Well, it looks like I will need to get a digital scanner sooner than later! So, if construction has started - where are the towers going to be and has the licensing been done yet?

Dennis (located in Troop E)

shelleys1

This is good! And makes sense with some of the things we've been doing (and still are) over the last 5/6 months. It's also a logical start and progression as far as the implementation of the system goes - starting at the most vulnerable area of the state and fanning out from there. (Refreshing to see something as large and important being done in what looks to be the right way!)

Shelley
K0SHL

nd5y

Last edited:

shelleys1

wb0wao

Yes, and they've had 154.680 (MTAC) in all State Troops for some time. But, we'll have to wait and see what others they're applying/have applied for.

Shelley
K0SHL

I did a somewhat quick search of the FCC database pending applications and I did not see anything that looked like it was for a new system. They may not have formally submitted the application yet - but that is a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.