Laird Phantom Elite VHF (ETRAB1550)

TheVARailFan

I recently purchased a Laird ETRAB1550 to try on a vehicle and I am having an issue with mounting it. The antenna mounts on a modified NMO base, instead if threading on it has two guide pins that set into a track on the mount (Image attached for reference) While messing around with the mount before install it appeared to work fine, and the antenna appeared to be securely mounted. After installation, the antenna is very loose and can be knocked off with just a slight tap. I am just curious if anybody else has this antenna and has noticed the same, and if there are any tricks to getting it securley mounted.

I am also open to any alternative suggestions for a low profile VHF antenna as well, this vehicle is frequently in a parking garage with extremely low clearance that has claimed several VHF 1/4 antennas recently. If I cannot get this antenna to work I may just slap an 800mhz 1/4 wave on it and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance!

91994DBD-D515-4743-BA9A-9B991339A8BD.jpeg

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
If you have clearance issues. Get a Sti co flexi whip those will not break .. As it is the phantom is less than optimal

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a Laird ETRAB1550 to try on a vehicle and I am having an issue with mounting it. The antenna mounts on a modified NMO base, instead if threading on it has two guide pins that set into a track on the mount (Image attached for reference) While messing around with the mount before install it appeared to work fine, and the antenna appeared to be securely mounted. After installation, the antenna is very loose and can be knocked off with just a slight tap. I am just curious if anybody else has this antenna and has noticed the same, and if there are any tricks to getting it securley mounted.

I am also open to any alternative suggestions for a low profile VHF antenna as well, this vehicle is frequently in a parking garage with extremely low clearance that has claimed several VHF 1/4 antennas recently. If I cannot get this antenna to work I may just slap an 800mhz 1/4 wave on it and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 137175
I ordered one of these that will arrive Friday so I’m interested in testing it out. If I don’t like it, I can return it.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
That version of the phantom is a pain in the ass as you have noticed.
The tuneable round one is slightly better.

Still horrible performance, but easier to work with.

I’m pretty certain I have one or two somewhere n the garage, PM me and I’ll get you one for the cost of shipping.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin

Thanks in advance!

Thos antennas on VHF are about useless unless you are in a high signal area. Railfanning is anything but a high signal area endeavor.

I use one on my work truck, but that's on robust radio systems...and it still stinks in places a regular 1/4w would be rock solid.

a417

Put them on at a particular user's request, and then pulled them all off in 6 mos when they realized they were gaaaarbage. We couldn't give away the excess stock of those things...and that was almost 15 years ago. The UHF and 800 phantom elites were marginally better, but the VHF ones were awful.

try TRABT1500 or TRABT1560 if you must do a low profile VHF unit.