• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Legal action?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I saw this in the Facebook group for one of the linked GMRS repeater systems:
Just to let everybody know, the xxxxx Repeater is completely shut down right now. I’ve contacted legal counsel and I have an attorney working on a situation to remove somebody that’s not supposed to be on there when I get things handled, the Repeater will be brought back up but for now I appreciate everybody’s cooperation. Thanks.
So, I'm curious about where this might go aside from local and state laws about unlawful use of property, electronic harassment, etc.

What rule in Part 95E gives a GMRS repeater operator the legal standing to prohibit someone from using their repeater? If someone is prohibited from using a repeater, what rule in Part 95E would the prohibited person be violating if they transmitted on the repeater's input frequency? Is there any precedent for the FCC telling a GMRS licensee "you can't use XXX repeater"?

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
47 CFR 95.1705(d)(2) May allow any person to use (i.e., benefit from the operation of) its GMRS repeater, or alternatively, may limit the use of its GMRS repeater to specific persons;
47 CFR 95.1705(d)(3) May disallow the use of its GMRS repeater by specific persons as may be necessary to carry out its responsibilities under this section.

Hans13

I saw this in the Facebook group for one of the linked GMRS repeater systems:

So, I'm curious about where this might go aside from local and state laws about unlawful use of property, electronic harassment, etc.

What rule in Part 95E gives a GMRS repeater operator the legal standing to prohibit someone from using their repeater? If someone is prohibited from using a repeater, what rule in Part 95E would the prohibited person be violating if they transmitted on the repeater's input frequency? Is there any precedent for the FCC telling a GMRS licensee "you can't use XXX repeater"?
Which group?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just wait until someone stands up a repeater on the same pair but with different tones in the same coverage footprint.
This is why linking is not congruent with intended use of the service. My repeater has just as much right to exist under current rules as yours. I have to yield to you and you to me, except when a linked repeater border blaster keys up, the internet user on Zello or other distant linked repeater has no idea that frequency is in use and just blasts them. Time for the FCC to have the final word and I am sure it is coming at some point.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Note that all I know at this point is that a repeater owner has said that he's contacting an attorney for assistance with a problem user. I don't know what that attorney will do. The attorney may do nothing. The attorney may send the problem user a sternly-worded letter...which the user could ignore. The attorney may assist the repeater owner with engaging the local county prosecutor. IANAL, so I don't know what law the prosecutor could charge the problem user with violating and I don't think that a county prosecutor has any standing to try to enforce a Federal rule.

The FCC won't get involved unless someone brings the issue to them.

tomk62

Just wait until someone stands up a repeater on the same pair but with different tones in the same coverage footprint.
Similar to this, but same tones.

paulears

Annoying but not much you can do. If people behave badly, but are not breaking any rules in the jurisdiction, then in the case of the repeater owner, surely all you can do is switch it off and deny everyone service. Bad behaviour might not be illegal. The government offer the facility to buy your own repeater for a public set of frequencies. You could have two repeaters in one small town - it would be chaos, but not breaking the rules. All these public service radio systems are unpoliced world wide. They rely on the users behaving themselves. I can't see what legal remedy there could be if nobody is guilty of anything but intolerance,

paulears

I don't believe so - somebody who only speaks a rare dialect that nobody can understand could legally press the transmit button, if that frequency was legit. The fact that there is a private repeater on the same channel that gets swamped would appear to be a hazard of operating at your own cost on a public band. Surely it's like the shoe shop who uses the free radio unlicensed channels but the local kids have been given the same radios for christmas. Even worse - they could be on the same frequency but different tone and be totally unaware they're wrecked the local shoe shop's business. No crime. In our UK system, there's plenty of Government advice that says interference is possible and cannot be investigated or cured - if you want interference free radio, then a technically assigned licence is available that tries not to put conflicting systems in the same area on the same frequency - but even that is not a guarantee.

Maybe malicious interference would be a crime if it was a protected and monitored service - but I don't think it is - Maybe if what was said was breaking a law there could be hope? Just calling on a radio and being annoying might not be enough?

paulears

I note the use of repeaters states "with the permission of the licencee" - but if you say no, there is no mechanism to prevent them trying.
I'm also wrong on another thing - the FCC will (unlike our OFCOM) take action when GMRS repeaters are interfered with. That's pretty good, and not something us Brits get. I can find quite a few examples where they have investigated and the end result was good,

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm not will versed in the rules of GMRS but isn't this pretty cut and dry?
Sure, which means a repeater owner can turn off the repeater, limit access via methods like DTMF/MDC control, but none of this means another licensee has to refrain from using the frequency- as the same rules also say any licensee may use any frequency. Kind of a problem, don't you think?

AB5ID

Sure, which means a repeater owner can turn off the repeater, limit access via methods like DTMF/MDC control, but none of this means another licensee has to refrain from using the frequency- as the same rules also say any licensee may use any frequency. Kind of a problem, don't you think?

If it's not feasible for the repeater to change frequency, but it is feasible for GMRS users to do so, does this align with the rule's intent? In other words, what is the purpose of this rule? Not arguing just playing devil's advocate trying to see all sides.

paulears

That's exactly the snag. If he's doing something the law prohibits, then they've got him, but let's say the repeater is in one state, and he's across the border in another. However, he close enough to access the repeater. Let's say for some reason he cannot hear the repeater - maybe his radio is deaf - and he calls and calls and calls - totally wrecking the normal repeater user's experience - is he violating any law? Let's assume (as I don't know) that he not shouting abuse, not sprouting race hatred or inciting violence - just being a real annoyance. The FCC could say what? Did you know you were wrecking the repeater's operation? He'd say no - I didn't hear anything at all.

I'm assuming the problem here was that he was abusive or breaking the law, but ignorance is not abuse. Being stupid isn't either. As we don't have unlicensed repeaters in the UK, I don't know how ownership works in the US. If your repeater is members only (which seems to be allowed, then it's something owned, and presumably if he copied the DTMF tones or whatever, in the US would this be some kind of stealing/theft or proper crime. Using a repeater without consent - some law like that? Or maybe it's a civil thing. Maybe you could take him to court for unpaid usage charges - I don't know? The rule presumably was made for a purpose - is this an example of that purpose. I suspect that if we had the same system here, we'd deal with it by identifying the person, serving him with a warning telling him that repeater use has to be paid for and please stop, then an invoice for the continued repeater use, waiting for him not to pay, then going to court for the outstanding invoice, with the request then warnings as evidence. We here would not have OFCOM backing us up. We have had occasional ham repeater abuse over the years and in the 70s/80s OFCOM (or their fore-runner) went after them, but now, the Radio Society has to collect evidence and use the courts. Ham radio is a hobby and unprotected really. Licence exempt systems are not investigated at all as far as I'm aware.

N4KVE

Simple. the repeater should have different PL tones for TX, & RX. So should someone try to scan the PL tone while listening to the repeater, that same tone won‘t bring up the repeater. Or use DPL to bring it up.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Simple. the repeater should have different PL tones for TX, & RX. So should someone try to scan the PL tone while listening to the repeater, that same tone won‘t bring up the repeater. Or use DPL to bring it up.
It's a UHF repeater, so limited range. All one must do is listen to the INPUT and sooner or later you'll find the tone. Folks who think they are fooling everyone by using different input and output tones miss that point.