Ltr standard trunked vs conventional single freq.

KC7CPB

Call me dumb but just needing to be educated i guess but.... one of the local "trunked" systems listed in the data base here in Tucson has a single "control freq" and thats it no other frequencies listed and the company i work for is on this system using a non trunking tk880 kenwood. All the users on the freq are separated by pl or dcs. Wouldnt this just be considered a multi use conventional business freq and not a trunked system?

kf8yk

All the users on the freq are separated by pl or dcs. Wouldn't this just be considered a multi use conventional business freq and not a trunked system?

In the two way biz this is called a 'community repeater' and were once very common, getting displaced by trunking systems in the late '80s through the 90's

Converting community repeaters to LTR was a popular option and many LTR repeater controllers either have built in support for dual LTR and PL/DPL community repeater users or have the ability to be wired up in parallel to an existing community repeater controller. It's possible the community repeater your using also supports LTR trunked users but for whatever reason most or all traffic is still conventional community repeater users.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The TK-880 was available with an LTR option. Maybe they were not used with LTR, but they did have the trunking capability available.

LTR doesn't have a 'dedicated' control channel like some other trunking systems. It uses a home channel where there are data bursts that tell the radios what to do, like switch to another channel for traffic.
There are single channel LTR system. It was a good solution for controlling access to the system since it required some more secure access means and kept people from squatting on the system, or adding radios that were not getting billed for.

WB5UOM

Premium Subscriber
I still have TK-880's on whats left of my LTR system