Macon/Bibb FD moves again, PD coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
This part;

MJBJR said:
...I dont think license look ups are against TOS.

I believe I asked this once to the sum of why is a license lookup legal but a patients vitals from inside an ambulance is.QUOTE]

mjbjr

I'm not trying to be rude here but I don't know if I can simplify that anymore. I believe license checks from the sheriff's office is legal but I'm pretty sure the paramedics speaking to the hospital is against TOS

RRR

Premium Subscriber
" I dont think license look ups are against TOS. "

Who said it was?? I thought it was public information...??

" I believe I asked this once to the sum of why is a license lookup legal but a patients vitals from inside an ambulance is "

That is a double positive. I don't understand.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I understand you're talking about "drivers license" not the FCC license lookup.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Macon-Bibb county system sounded Loud and Clear today. Along with the TG's listed, I caught a TG of 125, sounded like an "event" group, they were talking about getting ready for a parade or something for police week I think.

I didn't have any garbled transmissions until I was about 18 miles out. While I was in town, it sounded very good. Seems like a really good system.

I did adjust the P-25 settings some, and I have the filter mod recently discussed as well (BCD996XT) -I highly recommend having that done.

mjbjr

I moved the scanner to a higher point and that seemed to eliminate the garbled audio earlier in the week. 18 miles would be in warner robins/perry area or forsyth/bolingbrooke area ..thats good range

oleverette

Premium Subscriber
RRR, Would you share your P-25 adjustments. I had give up on the new system but I would like to try again. I am using the GRE-600 still. Transmissions at times are clear and then go into total garble. I've moved the antenna more than 20 times. I am only 2 miles from a site. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, OL

jacon12

I can't get it just nine miles as the crow flies from the center of Macon. I'd LOVE to know what changes in my 436 would help! :) I get it fine when I'm up town.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The optimal settings I have found for my 996XT is P25 adjust mode set to 5, and the P25 adjust level set to 25, and 200ms P25 wait time. That, along with the filter modification, seems to have hit the spot, I had very rare beginning of transmission digital noise, and very clear and loud audio This is on a mobile installation. Of course, your mileage may vary.

And correction, I heard the system pretty clear closer to maybe 14 miles as the crow flies. I was monitoring it back towards Jeffersonville when I left Macon.

I had it set on GPS to cut out at 18 miles, I will probably shorten it to 14.

jacon12

The optimal settings I have found for my 996XT is P25 adjust mode set to 5, and the P25 adjust level set to 25, and 200ms P25 wait time. That, along with the filter modification, seems to have hit the spot, I had very rare beginning of transmission digital noise, and very clear and loud audio This is on a mobile installation. Of course, your mileage may vary.

And correction, I heard the system pretty clear closer to maybe 14 miles as the crow flies. I was monitoring it back towards Jeffersonville when I left Macon.

I had it set on GPS to cut out at 18 miles, I will probably shorten it to 14.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 'filter modification'?

jacon12

Thanks for the link. I realized from reading the thread that it is for modification of the XT and I have the HP which, supposedly has two filters...
"The x96XT scanners (unlike the newer x36HP and even the venerable old PSR-5/600 and RS equivalents that both have an FM and a 'real' NFM final IF filter) have only one final IF filter. This 450Khz ceramic filter was chosen as a compromise to pass AM, FM, P25 and NFM. As there is only one filter present, the filter had to have a bandwdth wide enough to pass the widest possible modulation. In this case, standard FM. "
But I'm glad it worked for you and improved things. I'll have to check out your other settings and see if they'll work 'better' for me.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I know some will think this is amusing but I'm actually using a Browning BR-817 antenna on my truck (NMO, roof) to monitor Macon/Bibb and also other trunking, as well as several VHF systems across the state. Results aren't earth shattering, but I can generally get a nice, clear decode on VHF set to about an 18 mile radius, and 800mhz systems about 16 miles out. Works good for me, and I don't have to worry about it pulling apart if I happen to go under a close clearance like the spectra,

jacon12

I know some will think this is amusing but I'm actually using a Browning BR-817 antenna on my truck (NMO, roof) to monitor Macon/Bibb and also other trunking, as well as several VHF systems across the state. Results aren't earth shattering, but I can generally get a nice, clear decode on VHF set to about an 18 mile radius, and 800mhz systems about 16 miles out. Works good for me, and I don't have to worry about it pulling apart if I happen to go under a close clearance like the spectra,

I'm all for whatever works, even if it's a straightened out coat hangar... :)

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the link. I realized from reading the thread that it is for modification of the XT and I have the HP which, supposedly has two filters...
"The x96XT scanners (unlike the newer x36HP and even the venerable old PSR-5/600 and RS equivalents that both have an FM and a 'real' NFM final IF filter) have only one final IF filter. This 450Khz ceramic filter was chosen as a compromise to pass AM, FM, P25 and NFM. As there is only one filter present, the filter had to have a bandwdth wide enough to pass the widest possible modulation. In this case, standard FM. "
But I'm glad it worked for you and improved things. I'll have to check out your other settings and see if they'll work 'better' for me.

I don't know, I understand it has been working very well with the HP-1. ...This is from the same link in reference to the filter mod...

"......Performed the filter mod on my HP-1 (Extreme upgrade). I am both happy and shocked at the improvement on ALL bands...."

Might be worth a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.