• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tytera MD 9600

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Thanks. I'm aware of both of them. I suck at soldering so I'd have someone do that for me only if I was 150% ensured that it would not void the warranty.

I've read about the admit "workaround" which should be able to be fixed in firmware. Another workaround discovered by the beta testers.I'll try it and see how it goes, it sounds like it "solves" the problem.

That said, anyone saying that the current firmware fixes anything on my list either doesn't own the radio or has their own special super-secret version. :D

Thanks for the info.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
So if you have the magic firmware please feel free to share. :confused:

I'm not saying it's available yet, just that most of the things on your list are fixable via firmware update. They are software issues, not hardware.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I'm not saying it's available yet, just that most of the things on your list are fixable via firmware update. They are software issues, not hardware.

Gotcha. Obviously you know how I read it, not the way you meant it! :D

I agree that most can, hopefully most will. This is a one stop shopping kind of radio that would be a near-perfect mobile/home transceiver for me, if it did what it is supposed to. I will apply the workarounds I can and hang in there for a bit longer.

The other hardware issue, or so I would think, is the volume. Given the half-arsed way TYT distributed these things in the first place they should continue to honor warranties despite end-users having to crack the case and fix their shortcomings.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
well they fixed some stuff on the 2017,,

1、 Address the issue of receiving in the repeater mode, if the upper and lower frequency are the same and one use slot 1 and the other use slot 2, there will be no signaling coming
2、 Address the issue of same channel cannot be added into different band in the same zone
3、 Releasing the new programming software can read the codeplug from MD-380
4、 Adding the monitor in the analog mode
5、 Address the issue of dual standby, if the upper or lower has the signal with carrier, another one didn’t have audio out
6、 Address the programming issue, sometimes, the radio will restart during programming
7、 Adding the function of enable or disable of track ball by long pressing #, actually track ball is a novel function, but if you think it is too easily move, you can lock it
8、 Improve the text message function in the private call

And released a new CPS along with the new firmware 3.40

Now if they can get busy on the MD9600 problems

KC1UA

Database Admin
Using the VHF in A and UHF in B approach does seem to make for an improvement in not only DMR repeater access but also the delay I mentioned about received DMR transmissions.

TYT is now posting videos of the modification procedure in their TYT DMR Radio Facebook page. I inquired regarding warranty voiding by doing it, no answers, but I would guess that their video is there to encourage users to do it if they can.

Hopefully "MD9600: The Next Generation" will fare better. I'll find someone that doesn't solder as if they have a flamethrower in their hand (that would be me) and get it done. Hanging in there...

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I saw on facebook that there is a hidden adjustment menu if you use CTRL and t.

I'm just now looking at what all is there.

I used this feature to adjust the MD9600 RSSI settings to the same as my MD2017 and Behold my MD9600 now shows bars on my 2 local repeaters.

Note: This feature also works on the CPS for the 2017, at least my CPS v1.18 firmware V003.040

mancow

Database Admin
I used this feature to adjust the MD9600 RSSI settings to the same as my MD2017 and Behold my MD9600 now shows bars on my 2 local repeaters.

Note: This feature also works on the CPS for the 2017, at least my CPS v1.18 firmware V003.040

Which exact field did you edit? I tried and couldn't get any bars to show up. Are you seeing them on analog only or do they now work on DMR as well?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Which exact field did you edit? I tried and couldn't get any bars to show up. Are you seeing them on analog only or do they now work on DMR as well?

RSSI1(-120dBm) Column 5 now 18 like my 2017
RSSI4(-70dBm) Column 5 now 63 like my 2017

And they work on both DMR and analog. You have to read/write to do the adjustment. I tried the ENTER Adjust but it didn't want to work for me.

Note: Best to save the test data before doing anything crazy with the values.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
MD 9600 Before and after RSSI change

This is my MD 9600 before and after the RSSI change notice the signal strength indication

Attachments

• S7 1195.jpg
    S7 1195.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,718
  • S7 1206.jpg
    S7 1206.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,816

marcanradio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your notes on CPS Cntrl-T.
The 4-bar signal was very stingy on mine and the new settings mentioned I found too far the other way. So a couple of tries then put it on the HP test set and try to get it close to an "S" meter indicator.
The VHF and UHF sensitivities are very similar at -124 dBm for 12dBs.

Factory setting was 111, 162.
New settings:
RSSI 1 = 50, RSSI 2 = 100.

The 4-bar levels showed up this way on VHF:
Bar1 = 0.5uV, Bar2 = 1.1uV, Bar3 = 2uV, Bar4 = 4uV.

on UHF slightly lower.
Bar1 = 1uV, Bar2 = 2.5uV, Bar3 = 5uV, Bar4 = 9uV.

73, Ron
VE1AIC

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Thanks for your notes on CPS Cntrl-T.
The 4-bar signal was very stingy on mine and the new settings mentioned I found too far the other way. So a couple of tries then put it on the HP test set and try to get it close to an "S" meter indicator.
The VHF and UHF sensitivities are very similar at -124 dBm for 12dBs.

Factory setting was 111, 162.
New settings:
RSSI 1 = 50, RSSI 2 = 100.

The 4-bar levels showed up this way on VHF:
Bar1 = 0.5uV, Bar2 = 1.1uV, Bar3 = 2uV, Bar4 = 4uV.

on UHF slightly lower.
Bar1 = 1uV, Bar2 = 2.5uV, Bar3 = 5uV, Bar4 = 9uV.

73, Ron
VE1AIC

I tried 50 and 100 for those values and it didn't work on this radio.

Also TYT facebook has a new firmware for the 9600 which is supposed to fix the CH A Ch B on same band crash issue. Ver 3.31

SCR584

Premium Subscriber
MD9600 Fail to admit or intermentant admit

This drove me nuts for about 12 hours after receiving the MD9600. What I found was interment admit in my case after downloading an MD9600 code plug from the Ohio Section web page. What I noted as the radio was operating the radio was a little speaker icon bounce between the "Channel Member" A and B side of the display. When I was testing the radio with a friend the little speaker would appear on the "Channel Member" side that was programmed. When I replied the little speaker icon would shift to the unprogrammed "Channel Member" side.

So against the all the advice I have seen on various TYT forums I just programmed both "Channel Member" A and B the same irrelevant whether they were analog, digital, VHF, or UHF. Now the problem is solved and seems to hold the active channel though a QSO, until someone activates the other Channel Member. I have noted the little speaker icon "scan" between the A & B side at times with no activity being heard.

Putting a communications service monitor on it when I was try to initiate a call when one side was unprogrammed it randomly transmitted on some frequency rather than one programmed into the radio. Leads me to believe the firmware does not inhibit the unprogrammed side TX.

Beside the microphone back light there are little things needing addressing by TYT too numerous to write about now.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
This drove me nuts for about 12 hours after receiving the MD9600. What I found was interment admit in my case after downloading an MD9600 code plug from the Ohio Section web page. What I noted as the radio was operating was a little speaker icon bounce between the "Channel Member" A and B side of the display. When I was testing the radio with a friend the little speaker would appear on the "Channel Member" side that was programmed. When I replied the little speaker icon was on the unprogrammed "Channel Member" side.

So against the all the advice I have seen on various TYT forums I just programmed both "Channel Member" A and B the same irrelevant of with they were analog digital, VHF or UHF. Now the problem is solved until one the channel members is activated and the little speaker icon appears. I have noted the little speaker icon "scan" between the A & B side at times.

Putting a communications service monitor on it when I was try to initiate a call when side was unprogrammed it randomly transmitted on some frequency rather than one programmed into the radio. Leads me to believe the firmware does not inhibit the unprogrammed side TX.

Beside the microphone back light there are little things needing addressing by TYT too numerous to write about now.

What was the firmware version you used?

SCR584

Premium Subscriber
CPS 1.18 FW 3.029 just got the radio a week or so ago from Buy Two Way Radios ,com. I was trying this out as a cheap radio with dual band capability. I have experience with Mototrbo CPS and radios.

This radio will probably go through several FW/CPS mod cycles before TYT gets the bugs fixed.

Oh I just noticed since being listed as a "newbie", so I am not a time tested member yet. I am communications engineer with numerous years of technical experience in landmobile and military communications. Also been a amateur radio operator since 1968.

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
CPS 1.18 FW 3.029 just got the radio a week or so ago from Buy Two Way Radios ,com. I was trying this out as a cheap radio with dual band capability. I have experience with Mototrbo CPS and radios.

This radio will probably go through several FW/CPS mod cycles before TYT gets the bugs fixed.

Oh I just noticed since being listed as a "newbie", so I am not a time tested member yet. I am communications engineer with numerous years of technical experience in landmobile and military communications. Also been a amateur radio operator since 1968.

V3.31 is the best I have tried so far. v3.29 would crash under certain conditions.

KC1UA

Database Admin
New firmware released today, available at either Facebook pages or TYT website. Shows as 4.003 in my radio, apparently fixes "scanning display error". Mic backlight still on when powered down though.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
New firmware released today, available at either Facebook pages or TYT website. Shows as 4.003 in my radio, apparently fixes "scanning display error". Mic backlight still on when powered down though.

Out of curiosity, what Facebook page are you using for them? I checked both and I don't see the download anywhere. Got it on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.