• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Model suggestions for Colorado State DTRS (Media Access)

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I have my doubts whether the agency will fulfill their promise of authorizing YOUR news agency encrypted radios.

If they give them to you, they will HAVE to give them to any other news agency operating in your area, which could result in any Internet "journalist" seeking a radio, and, if push comes to shove, getting them. At that point, when does it stop? The police agency may be sorry they opened a can of worms.

And, as an aside: too often we read (back East here, anyway) about local newspapers stating, "According to radio transmissions....," meaning, the "news agencies" couldn't be bothered sending a "reporter" to the scene of an incident and would rather rely on half-assed, or, ultimately, incorrect, radio reports.

Apparently, the radios solve the problem of laziness.

As far as initial notifications go, it seems that police and fire agencies are on top of using various "social media" sites to get the jobs out, via their public info guy. So no one can complain that the police are keeping the press "in the dark."

The next step is...or should be...to go to the job.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think there's a lot of misunderstanding going on here, and I don't see this going well.

Most of us know that you can't just buy any random Motorola radio off e-Bay or anywhere else and expect it to work.
Having the right flashcode will be required if said agency is actually going to program the thing to work. Without that, the news agency is going to have an expensive new doorstop. I don't see a law enforcement agency flashing someone else's radio to make it work on their system free of charge, or at all.

Something isn't right here. Any reputable agency is going to know there are requirements about the model/type/band/flashcode of the radio needed to work on the system. Telling someone to 'go out and buy their own radio and we'll program it' doesn't pass the sniff test. There's either a chunk of information missing, or this is all B.S.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I have my doubts whether the agency will fulfill their promise of authorizing YOUR news agency encrypted radios.

If they give them to you, they will HAVE to give them to any other news agency operating in your area, which could result in any Internet "journalist" seeking a radio, and, if push comes to shove, getting them. At that point, when does it stop? The police agency may be sorry they opened a can of worms.

And, as an aside: too often we read (back East here, anyway) about local newspapers stating, "According to radio transmissions....," meaning, the "news agencies" couldn't be bothered sending a "reporter" to the scene of an incident and would rather rely on half-assed, or, ultimately, incorrect, radio reports.

Apparently, the radios solve the problem of laziness.

As far as initial notifications go, it seems that police and fire agencies are on top of using various "social media" sites to get the jobs out, via their public info guy. So no one can complain that the police are keeping the press "in the dark."

The next step is...or should be...to go to the job.
You need to read the OP more closely, the OP already has said access. Pueblo city PD and fire have been ENC for quite a few years.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar