Morris County Trunked

vcattano404

Premium Subscriber
Looking for a little programming help with my Uniden using Freescan and Radio Reference. Tried downloading Morris County trunked and conventional to update my scanner. Conventional appears to be working. But not picking up anything on the trunked. When I upload I get errors saying "No APCO band plan available". Any advise? Scanner model is Uniden BCD396XT - Just saw in another thread that this model may not do Phase II ????

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but your BCD396XT won't work to bring in Morris County. System is P25 Phase-II with TDMA talkgroups = No go for a Phase-I only scanner. Additionally those talkgroups ID'ed in the RRDB as "TE" (not very many) are fully encrypted meaning they cannot be monitored at all with any scanner. My recommendation for monitoring the mode "T" talkgroups with simulcast in play across the entire system would be a Uniden SDS100

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The Morris system is Phase II TDMA, and the XT series doesn't decode Phase II TDMA. If you do buy a scanner capable of Phase II TDMA, don't bother programming the UHF cell, as it no longer carries traffic. All 700 now.

tvengr

Well Known Member
The 700 MHz site is simulcast. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast sites are the Uniden SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile. Any other P25 Phase 2 capable scanner may or may not work depending upon your location in relation to the towers. Simulcast distortion results in missed transmissions and garbled audio. The Unication G4 and G5 pagers also do an excellent job but are limited to one system and one site at a time and 64 talkgroups per knob position. They also cannot scan a trunked system and conventional frequencies at the same time. The G4 is 700/800 MHz only. The G5 is 700/800 MHz plus UHF OR VHF depending upon the model.