MPSCS Sites/Talkgroups 2024

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
That's what I figured. Once this new tower goes online, they will be doing in-building testing to see where BDA's would be needed.

Gpmorris62

Premium Subscriber
Isabella County Law Enforcement mobile and portable radios will be replaced.
County Sheriff, Mt. Pleasant City Police, CMU Campus Police, Shepherd Police, and Tribal Police are getting the new radios.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Whose radios? Almost all MPSCS radios have the capability, except older lower tier options.
I hear what your saying, Im just saying from the standpoint of what has been seen last few years.
Its also the case when they would get these radios in, they are all at the radio shop and get programmed the same of course to what they are, pd, fd, ems.
Its certainly rather convenient then.

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
I don't have an answer, but I do have a question along those lines.... Last fall, Crawford Co went to GRCC for central dispatch. Before the cutover, I would hear transmissions that came in pretty garbled but dispatch was able to understand what was said. Since switching to GRCC, there are transmissions that I hear just fine, but GRCC has to ask for repeats, and its relatively often. Is there a loss of audio quality when going over the microwave links vs. being on the same site?
I've run into the same issue with the affected TG out of Wexford off of the Boon, Manton, and Mesick 2 sites. I have yet to hear that TG clearly.

jfisch01

Premium Subscriber
The issue is simulcast. Simulcast is multiple towers transmitting on the same frequency. The 996P2 was not designed to handle simulcast, unlike the SDS100/200. You could try lowering your antenna all the way to try and reduce the number of subsites received, or move it around until you can get consistency with the simulcast cell, or both.
Thanks for the info. Current antenna is 30 high on a 15" pole on the roof. Can anyone tell me what would be my best site and group import to my radio. When I do Oakland county and it's 10 or so groups I don't hear much. When I import all the sites with the 10 or so groups I seem to hear more. Trying to understand how it all works. I wish I would have know this scanner wasn't the best for this system before I spent the money.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. Current antenna is 30 high on a 15" pole on the roof. Can anyone tell me what would be my best site and group import to my radio. When I do Oakland county and it's 10 or so groups I don't hear much. When I import all the sites with the 10 or so groups I seem to hear more. Trying to understand how it all works. I wish I would have know this scanner wasn't the best for this system before I spent the money.
The antenna is overkill. Try using a paperclip in the antenna jack.

As for the talk groups (TG), you need to look through for the agencies you want to monitor. Most law enforcement will be encrypted, as the county has done that to most agencies, but non-Oakland traffic will be in the clear.

Each fire department has their own dispatch TG, and some larger departments use one dispatch TG per station.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator

nvanw27

River Central, TVC
I apologize if this has been answered previously... I am visiting some family in Lapeer County this weekend, is their Fire/EMS Dispatch completely encrypted on the MPSCS side?

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this has been answered previously... I am visiting some family in Lapeer County this weekend, is their Fire/EMS Dispatch completely encrypted on the MPSCS side?
Yes according to the database although it shows 2 talk groups in the clear for Fire & Law Dispatch & Countywide Common.

Hit_Factor

Sell it, take the loss, and buy the correct scanner. Stop spending money on antenna when the problem is the scanner.

WQWD609

Premium Subscriber
The 800mhz talk group for fire dispatch is encrypted. The old analog frequency still works for fire dispatch.

freqs

Livonia and Lapeer County are that way as well
Livonia 155.7900 you can hear tone out and the run info same with
Lpeer County fire tone out call info then goes to MPSCS Encrypted

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
Thanks... I find it odd that the MPSCS side is encrypted, yet they leave the VHF channel in the clear.
When they started on MPSCS they were completely in the clear but because of incidents showing up on social media is when they decided to encrypt everything is what I had heard.

hruskacha

Premium Subscriber
When they started on MPSCS they were completely in the clear but because of incidents showing up on social media is when they decided to encrypt everything is what I had heard.
I think encrypting the VHF would significantly reduce range

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Up North
Encrypting P25 doesn't reduce range as it doesn't change anything it transmits except the data inside as it's already a digital format. The old SECURENET CVSD encryption would reduce range from clear analog down to 70% in the most severe cases.

MPSCS also isn't VHF, it's 800 MHz, but encryption doesn't care about bands.