N9JIG Computerized Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
All I can say is wow! How long did it take to do all of that?Did you do it all yourself or did you have help?
Great job and Kudos!

N9JIG

Sheriff
All I can say is wow! How long did it take to do all of that?Did you do it all yourself or did you have help?
Great job and Kudos!

I did the work myself but had some help in the conceptual process. I took ideas from other shacks posted here and elsewhere.

It is really an evolution of any other shacks I have done over the years. I had to be creative in my old home due to space limitations, the new home has much more room.

Over the years I have continuously evolved my shack and added/subtracted/modified until I have what I have now. Even now there are changes coming, mostly aesthetic vs. operational.

Colton25

In may have missed it but your using USB sound cards? If so what model are you using?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Some updates

I started getting some minor disk errors on the original 2.5 inch SSD. Originally from my old PC (which itself started with Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7) I bought the 2.5 SSD just before I updated to Windows 10 and left the original hard drive at Windows 7 in case Windows 10 didn't work out.

I put the SSD into the NUC when I got it and it was working fine but the disk errors bothered me. I had already been planning on getting a M.2 SSD so I looked around and got a great deal from Amazon on a 1TB one, that ended up costing $115 after using points.

After installing that (see my thread in the Computers forum) I started from scratch, reinstalling an instance of ProScan, registering then making a dozen or so copies. I then reinstalled the AIrNav RadarBox and PRO96Com software as well as a couple Butel products and both versions of Sentinel.

I ran thru the process of installing the 15 Comm Ports that I had done before and they started at Comm 3 due to the fresh installation of Windows. I also uninstalled the crud that got put onto the computer from the Windows install (Candy Crush? Come on MS, give me a break!) and things went very well.

I also connected a second monitor to the Nuc. The main monitor, used for the RadarBox, is a 27in. 2K monitor and the secondary one, used for the ProScan and Pro96Com apps is the 32in 4K one.

I also added a BCD996P2 to the mix and set up ARC-Patrol for my HP1 since I have the Extreme Update on it so it supports virtual control.

I have a carpenter making a shelf for me for my radio desk that is high enough to cover the R8500 and 746, once that is done the 2 monitors and the HP1/HP2's will go on it.

I also cleaned up the radio cabinet with the 12 BCT15/15X and the 996XT scanners. I set up it's own 12VDC power supply and swapped out a malfunctioning USB hub. I then removed one of the 8-port Stridsberg multicouplers and replaced it with a 4-port. Since there are 12 radios this works perfectly. Now that cabinet is pretty well self contained. There are only 4 wires going into it: AC power cord (for a power strip), a USB cable and 2 coaxes for the multicouplers.

Once I get the shelf in and neaten up the wiring I will get some new photos. I also have to clean up the cabinet with the radios in it, things change a bit and I have to clean up a few details.

So far ProScan has been very stable, no crashes at all even with over a dozen instances running. The computer with the 2 SSD's is extremely fast and responsive.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Any chances of doing something like this for the mobile installation, or I surmise the need just isnt there, and you change-out vehicles way too often for a "permanent" installation of sorts, no?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Any chances of doing something like this for the mobile installation, or I surmise the need just isnt there, and you change-out vehicles way too often for a "permanent" installation of sorts, no?

Not really, the RH-96 is perfect for my needs, well it would be if it supported the 996P2!

The problem with using a computer based solution in the truck is that it would take an inordinate amount of time to boot up and connect to the radios. My truck is in the garage except for 2 or 3 times a week so I can't just leave it running.

I might consider it sometime with some sort of tablet though...

simplec6

Awesome shack.

Can you tell us what rack that is holding the 10 Uniden scanners on the floor? Any links to a similar rack would also be great! I tried search for 'radio rack' and 'scanner rack' and couldn't find any google results that are similar to that.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Awesome shack.

Can you tell us what rack that is holding the 10 Uniden scanners on the floor? Any links to a similar rack would also be great! I tried search for 'radio rack' and 'scanner rack' and couldn't find any google results that are similar to that.

Look in this subforum for "N9JIG Racks the Shack" - he covers it in depth.

N9JIG

Sheriff
One of the options I was thinking about for audio archiving etc. was a digital voice recorder like those used in 9-1-1 centers. We had an Eventide VR725 in the center I built and it was fantastic. Not only did it record audio and allow easy search and retrieval but it also allowed live playback on a per-channel (or multiple channel) basis, both local and remotely.

I had a line on one of these used a few years back and almost bought it in anticipation of needing it for a future project but couldn't see outlaying that kind of cash at the time. Now I wish I would have bought it!

Basically what this is is a Linux based PC, complete with memory, I/O, a small built-in display, a few hard drives and a set of input cards. The audio is presented to the input cards, each channel has independent controls for level and processing as well as VOX and delay settings. One hard drive (small) is used for the OS and then there is a RAID system for archival storage. Additional drives can be added to increase storage space. Channels can be set to retain for a specified period of time before being over written.

The system also has remote access and live monitoring as well as a quick Replay app. The biggest downside for use with scanners is the lack of any way to get an independent channel tag. It can tell you what receiver it came from but not the channel within the scanner. I suppose this is true with any hardware based solution. It also does not provide a mixing option like the Soundcraft and other solutions.

I just hope there is some sort of resurrection of RadioLog or some other app, I think that would be perfect.

wd9cms

Software based recorder

Have you looked at something like VRS Recording System from NCH software. ( VRS Multi-Channel Audio & Telephone Recording Software ). I have not tried it but, it looks like you can download it and test it to see how it works and if it does what you want it to do. Looks like it can handle 64 channels and its 50% off for the next couple of weeks. It might be worth a try.

Bill

KG7LER

Premium Subscriber
I installed a NCH system awhile back for a police department, I think it was Youngtown, that was about 10 years ago. They wanted a cheap recording solution for for their 911 calls for 4 phone lines, it worked pretty good for what it was.

I really wish Xcorder was still being supported, I love its hourly recordings and log system, I rigged it to work on Win7 for the Arizona GMRS Repeater Club to record activity on the White Tanks repeater.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Rich, I didnt see an answer to this or I missed it, but when you say USB-1 cables "retrofitted" with DB9 connectors what exactly do you mean, modified or via some adapter I have yet to find? :D

Looks great, and it's inspiring me to make some modifications to my existing platform. Thanks in advance!

N9JIG

Sheriff
The cable is at USB-1 with DB-9 Connector (BC996/15) | Scanner Master

Basically a standard USB-1 cable )of the new version since it works fine in Windows 10-Pro...) with the little Uniden end cut off and replaced with a DB-9, pre-wired to work on the rear DB-9 of the 996 and 15 series scanners.

I have 12 of them and they work great, much more secure than the regular USB-1. I use them on my BCT15, BCT15X and BCD996XT scanners and verified that they work on the 996P2. It did not work on the 536 however.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you take a USB-1 cable and install a DB-9 connector instead of the connector that Uniden uses for the radio, don't you just have a USB to Serial converter? What's special about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.