New CHP Cruisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

W6KRU

With the legendary Ford Crown Victoria-based Police Interceptor no longer in production, it's no surprise that the California Highway Patrol (CHP) has been searching for an all-new vehicle to replenish its fleet. What is surprising is the vehicle the CHP chose -- the Explorer-based Ford Police Interceptor Utility. Look for it in your rearview mirror beginning early next year. Read more here:
Ford Police Interceptor Utility is California Highway Patrol's Next Cruiser - Motor Trend

canav844

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Now lets see if the CHP will indeed be able to purchase its wished for 1,800 units.

Last years budget only allowed CHP to replace 500 of its planned 1,200 vehicles.

I'm not sure the 2012-13 budget will be any better, with Gov. Brown mandated 5% cuts for each agency.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know what the milage is with the Explorers? Reading the article, it sounds like both the CV and the Explorer probably aren't going to get great gas milage. And the SUV profile will probably get worse milage than the sedan.

With rising gas prices, that could add some more expense to the CHP budget...

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
If you read the LA Times story.........

The Explorer Police Interceptor offers all-wheel drive and has a payload of 1,700 pounds, Knudsen said, adding that it also performs well at high speeds and in wet weather. It gets about 16 miles per gallon on city streets and 21 on freeways, a little better than the Crown Victoria according to Ford's...

GrumpyGuard

I want to put the new vehicle through it's paces. The test that motor trend talks about is quite extensive. If the new Fords pass it will be time to look for that new grill. Also they do have a few of the Dodge Chargers on the road.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
LASD/LAPD Model Year 2012 Vehicle Test report

I want to put the new vehicle through it's paces. The test that motor trend talks about is quite extensive. If the new Fords pass it will be time to look for that new grill. Also they do have a few of the Dodge Chargers on the road.
Every year LASD and LAPD jointly put a number of potential police vehicles through rigorous testing, including potential interference to and from radios and other electronic equipment. Here's their report for the 2012 models:
http://www.lasdhq.org/sites/car-test/2012.pdf

Does anyone know what the milage is with the Explorers? Reading the article, it sounds like both the CV and the Explorer probably aren't going to get great gas milage. And the SUV profile will probably get worse milage than the sedan.

With rising gas prices, that could add some more expense to the CHP budget...
On pages 8-27 of the report they give both the EPA mileage ratings if available, as well as the mileage they actually got during the testing. They're summarized on page 182.

And they also test motorcycles:
http://www.lasdhq.org/sites/motorcycle-test/2012.pdf

Last edited:

rooivalk

The SUVs will be interesting. CHP dropped the Dodge from consideration due to excessive repair downtime, and Officer complaints about the interior and blindspots.

mibzzer15

I was just told today that on Friday CHP bought the new SUVs....how many i dont remember what was said....I told the guy that I thought they were still going thru testing but he said they were already bought now, any confirmations on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.