SDS100/SDS200: New Firmware with Moto Type II Smartnet ... Does it Work?

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The police dispatch tgs are still in the clear on the AACo P16 system, so it's likely the firmware is the issue. Interesting that you are not decoding the digital tgs however as I am able to do, but I have a better RSSI than you (on the DE system.) I do get occasional breakups, but that also happens with the XTS on my desk. When the breakups occur, the D-Error jumps to ~100 (not sure what exactly DEC actually is describing.)

N7OLQ

Scanning since '77
Premium Subscriber
I loaded the new firmware on one of my SDS200 scanners, and am running 2 side by side, same programming, same antenna (multicoupler), just one with new FW (1.23) and one with old (1.21) . Monitoring our old statewide 800MHz analog SmartZone system. Scanners are performing identically. No issues there.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
No Simulcast, Outside the area, it is Digital (P25P1) and Analog and both are working.
Makes sense, as simulcasting appears to be the issue, and it's less of a problem when receiving from outside the service area (they need to update their FCC licensing, lol.)

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I loaded the new firmware on one of my SDS200 scanners, and am running 2 side by side, same programming, same antenna (multicoupler), just one with new FW (1.23) and one with old (1.21) . Monitoring our old statewide 800MHz analog SmartZone system. Scanners are performing identically. No issues there.
Makes sense, the issue appears to be with simulcast digital P25 audio on P16 / SmartNet / SmartZone systems.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I already mentioned this in another thread, but I'll add it here too:
I am noting very degraded digital decoding using my SDS100 on a Motorola Type II system after the firmware upgrade. The system’s analog talkgroups sound fine, and other P25 systems seem to have no difficulties. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

I need to compare with another scanner to see if it is related to the firmware upgrade or is some sort of other odd behavior that started around the time I upgraded.
Just compared with a BCD436HP, and the SDS100 continues to miss transmissions on the Motorola system while the BCD436HP performs without a hitch. Transmissions are fine sometimes, but other times they are dropped completely or become very garbled. Occasionally I see "ENCRY" flash briefly, but the transmissions are fully in the clear. This behavior happens in various locations, even when the signal is extremely strong. I have had zero issues monitoring this system in the past.
I also tried switching filters, but that did not seem to help, unfortunately.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator