New Troop? and Units operating out of their area?

WRQI583

1. I have been hearing State Police officers mentioning "Troop I". Where is that troop out of?
2. For quite awhile now, 200 Units have been operating in the Troop D area (400 unit area). Are the State Police revamping patrol areas and adding troops?

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
In my area (LA, yes different state) Troop I and D are adjacent and sometimes they share dispatch channels. Are you listening on a scanner? I was confused at first when they started doing that, because it was not historically the case.

WRQI583

I live in the troop D area in my state. Maine doesnt have a "Troop I". Even if you go to their website, there is no troop I listed.
I am listening on a scanner. In Maine, there are 4 zone dispatches with more than one troop under each zone. A, B, and G are on zone 1, C and D are on zone 2, E and J are on zone 3 and F is on zone 4. The scanner is usually just background noise for me unless something interesting pops up but this perked my ears up.

W1MTW

According to Wikipedia:

In late 2022, the Maine State Police announced that it would be restructuring its field troops. Troops A and B combined to form the Southern Field Troop, Troops C and D formed the Central Field Troop, and Troops E and J formed the Northern Field Troop. Additionally, Troop I was established to patrol the Maine Interstate System from Augusta to the Aroostook County line.

WRQI583

According to Wikipedia:

In late 2022, the Maine State Police announced that it would be restructuring its field troops. Troops A and B combined to form the Southern Field Troop, Troops C and D formed the Central Field Troop, and Troops E and J formed the Northern Field Troop. Additionally, Troop I was established to patrol the Maine Interstate System from Augusta to the Aroostook County line.
Ok, thank you for that information. I was not aware of that. The only thing that I cant figure out is the 200 units operating in the troop D area (400 units). Just this morning, a couple of 200 units were taking care of calls in the Unity Maine area. Last I checked, 200 units were troop B. Ive been noticing this for awhile now. At least the beginning of February.

RgrP

Premium Subscriber
As part of the recent restructuring MSP Zone 2 (Troops C & D) units now use 200s callsigns.

Zone 3 (Troops E & J) units now use 300s callsigns.

Zone 4 (Troop F) Aroostook County unit callsign series were not changed. Still 600's

I have not been in Zone 1 since the change but I assume it follows the other Zones and that Zone 1 (Troops A & B) units now use 100s callsigns.

Troop I covers I-95 from Augusta to the Aroostook County line. Troop I callsigns are 400's.

Maine Turnpike units, detectives, crash investigators, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, Forestry, Fish & Game Wardens, Marine Patrol, and other agencies/depts under the MSCommNet were not changed.

BlackSheepDue

Southern Field, Troops A and B = 100 series
Central Field, Troops C and D = 200 series
Northern Field, Troops E and F = 300 series
Troop I, I-295 from Scarborough to Houlton = 400 series
500 series is no longer used
Troop J = 600 series
Troop G, Maine Turnpike = 700 series
Troop K, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement = 800 series

I haven't been up to zone 3 so I would take RgrP's word on F staying 600's and J being 300's.

BlackSheepDue

I will add a note that Troop I even down into the Portland area operates on zone 2 primary. I assume that Troop I operates on zone 3 and 4 for the portions of 295 that are in those zones. There is not much of 295 below the zone 1/2 boarder so this makes sense. Similar idea as Troop G only operating on zone 1 despite the northern end of the pike being in zone 2.

Another Interesting result of this troop shift is that Ossipee Mountain now carries Zone 2A full time. Likely because Ossipee Mountain covers the Portland area for Troop I. This probably makes it one of the busier towers in the state carrying zone 1A, zone 2A, and Troop G as well as whatever encrypted traffic.

RgrP

Premium Subscriber
Be aware that RadioReference has the wrong lat/lon for the Passadumkeag Mtn site which is used by both Zone 3 and Zone 4.
RadioRefernce places it north of Skowhegan. It is actually 75 miles east of that at 45.1298, -68.35802.

BTW, I'm the friend MSP563 referred to in your exchange of UIDs yesterday. I live in Mattawamkeag which is 13 miles north of Lincoln and 26 miles north northwest of Passadumkeag Mtn.

ME343

ME/NH/VT DB Admin
Database Admin
Be aware that RadioReference has the wrong lat/lon for the Passadumkeag Mtn site which is used by both Zone 3 and Zone 4.
RadioRefernce places it north of Skowhegan. It is actually 75 miles east of that at 45.1298, -68.35802.

BTW, I'm the friend MSP563 referred to in your exchange of UIDs yesterday. I live in Mattawamkeag which is 13 miles north of Lincoln and 26 miles north northwest of Passadumkeag Mtn.
Thank you for the Lat/Lon correction. I have updated it in the database

Dude19862

Premium Subscriber
As part of the recent restructuring MSP Zone 2 (Troops C & D) units now use 200s callsigns.

Zone 3 (Troops E & J) units now use 300s callsigns.

Zone 4 (Troop F) Aroostook County unit callsign series were not changed. Still 600's

I have not been in Zone 1 since the change but I assume it follows the other Zones and that Zone 1 (Troops A & B) units now use 100s callsigns.

Troop I covers I-95 from Augusta to the Aroostook County line. Troop I callsigns are 400's.

Maine Turnpike units, detectives, crash investigators, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, Forestry, Fish & Game Wardens, Marine Patrol, and other agencies/depts under the MSCommNet were not changed.
i have several frequency's but they require the tones those frequencies don't give the toned on radio Reference

Dude19862

Premium Subscriber
Dose anyone know what this Mix model-PW $293 Nac means
154.935CSQSPCCState Police Car to Car(Mixed Mode-P25 $293 NAC)

BlackSheepDue

i have several frequency's but they require the tones those frequencies don't give the toned on radio Reference
MSCOMMNET is a P25 digital trunking system. It is both programmed and works much differently than conventional/analog frequencies. That being said there are certain conventional “region nets” that are full time patched into the zone primary. If you’re not familiar with programming a trunking system I would recommend using the region nets but be aware that not all region nets are patched so the closest one to you might not be the one you want.