NYSP Wiki Pages

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Hey All,
It's been a pretty long time since I've done this (and the old thread is locked). I am seeking some additional information from the community. I seeking help in identifying New York State Police vehicles. I originally organized and updated the NYSP Troop Wiki pages a few years ago, and within those wiki pages, there is some information that is inaccurate, incomplete, or outdated. Im looking to update them again.

I am looking to seek some input from folks around New York State to help me update the Wiki Pages again with some updated info.
Some wiki pages have more info than others. For example, Troop K, D, E, F, H, and G pages have the most information, while Troop A, B, C, L, T, and NYC are lacking in information.
I have also linked the old thread and the wiki pages in question. Thanks All.

Link to the old NYSP Identifiers Thread:

Wiki Pages:

Last edited:

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, I only have information regarding troops that are already pretty detailed (E, F, G, K, Headquarters, Academy, and T), but I do have plans to transfer some updated information for all those mentioned (except F and K, I just did those a few nights ago)--nothing major, but some updated bits here and there nonetheless.

While those troops are detailed, I believe a good amount of location information is inaccurate. I've fixed what I can with Google Earth/Maps and other general research, but rural zones (and even those that are a bit more populated) are difficult to confirm. This is especially true for Troop E seeing as Zone 4 doesn't even exist anymore.

"Incomplete" doesn't even begin to describe all those pages. I'm hoping someone can provide some information regarding non-NYSP ("7X") numbers as those are seriously lacking across the board (I suspect even F and K, by far the most detailed, have dozens of call sign blocks missing in the Wiki--don't get me started on "7H" numbers), and any additional Headquarters information would be especially welcome.

If you want a good starting point for a rabbit hole to go down, I would suggest looking into SUNY units. I would say 9/10 times their car number is their "7X" number (this includes minor community colleges, etc.).

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
My only info on SUNY PD is that they use 900 numbers on the Albany County trunked system for the UAlbany campuses.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@DaveNF2G When did that start? Last I was there (March or so) they used 100 series badge numbers on SUNY channels, and their car numbers (7G7##) on County and Guilderland channels (although usually dropping the "7G" for Guilderland). I think they were still using the 700 numbers when they went to that hotel shooting a few weeks back.

I do have a CNSE marked patrol car down as 7G912 though, and I believe they used 200 series call signs for on campus comms (although I think they're E on a DMR system, so I could never confirm).

Does it have to do with the CNSE merger?

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Unfortunately, I only have information regarding troops that are already pretty detailed (E, F, G, K, Headquarters, Academy, and T), but I do have plans to transfer some updated information for all those mentioned (except F and K, I just did those a few nights ago)--nothing major, but some updated bits here and there nonetheless.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I looked at the updates for K and F, and they are more detailed than they were.
I also keep seeing this reference to "Marked Troop Car." What is that? Is that a car that rotates around the troop or Zone?

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@seagravebuff60 Just NYSP-specific terminology. They refer to pool cars as "troop cars"--in the cases I used it, it's more or less a placeholder until a station can be confirmed. Might be worth changing it to "patrol car" for those unfamiliar with NYSP terminology (or maybe get an NYSP terminology section going?), but I'll leave that to someone else (although if you're confused, other people are going to be confused).

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
@seagravebuff60 Just NYSP-specific terminology. They refer to pool cars as "troop cars"--in the cases I used it, it's more or less a placeholder until a station can be confirmed. Might be worth changing it to "patrol car" for those unfamiliar with NYSP terminology (or maybe get an NYSP terminology section going?), but I'll leave that to someone else (although if you're confused, other people are going to be confused).
Thanks for the explanation. Im pretty familiar with NYSP terminology; I just wanted to clarify. I'll add a note to the wiki pages as well

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
Troops E, G, and T all updated--remind me not to try to do three troops in one night ever again.

Didn't touch any EnCon, BCI, or Communications--that's a can of worms for another day. Still have to do Headquarters and Academy (should be minor).

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Troops E, G, and T all updated--remind me not to try to do three troops in one night ever again.

Didn't touch any EnCon, BCI, or Communications--that's a can of worms for another day. Still have to do Headquarters and Academy (should be minor).
Thanks. I appreciate it. I didn't know they had an Academy Troop. Is it a part of Troop H or its own separate troop? If it is its own separate troop I suggest making it its own page

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@seagravebuff60 I don't think it's technically a troop (in the same way Headquarters isn't--more a troop in the colloquial sense), but they go by R identifiers, not H identifiers.

It probably could be its own page, but it would amount to a handful of training car identifiers (unless someone manages to get call signs for academy staff--which wouldn't happen without insider info or maybe a FOIA request). I don't think it's worth it, but I'm open to the idea (especially since it's not like it would take very long).

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber

Encon is mostly to date if need be i can verify somethings

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@Com-Tech51H8 Your latest edit actually cleared up some of my questions.

However, do you know anything about the Mohonk Forest Rangers? On Mohonk channels they use call signs like "Ranger 8." I'm not sure if these correspond to their 8N number or not--theoretically the Mohonk Rangers are:
8N308
8N315 through 8N319
8N323

Am I on the right track with that?

Also, any idea if Spill Response supervisors still use 39# call signs (if we're assuming it's a Region 3 Spill Response unit) with non-supervisors using 390# call signs? And I assume that would be with a 7N prefix?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's actually even simpler than that: "marked troop car" is exactly what it sounds like...a troop car that has visible markings on it, as opposed to an unmarked car. There are times when troopers/bosses are patrolling in unmarked vehicles, and want a marked car for greater visibility. "Send a marked unit to this location" is a common request for both the NYSP and other law enforcement agencies.

And yes, "troop car" = a NYSP "patrol" vehicle at the most basic level.

k2hz

Database Admin

However, do you know anything about the Mohonk Forest Rangers? On Mohonk channels they use call signs like "Ranger 8." I'm not sure if these correspond to their 8N number or not--theoretically the Mohonk Rangers are:
8N308
8N315 through 8N319
8N323

Also, any idea if Spill Response supervisors still use 39# call signs (if we're assuming it's a Region 3 Spill Response unit) with non-supervisors using 390# call signs? And I assume that would be with a 7N prefix?
I don't know about the Mohonk channels but on the normal DEC channels the 7N or 8N is generally omitted and only the digits are used.

It has been many years since I heard any 89# call signs here in Region 8 but they never used the "N" prefix. They were neither Rangers nor LEOs so I don't know which would apply. Once they got cell phones they never used the radio. Now all DEC units generally use cell phone in preference to radio where cell coverage is available. Most radio use is confined to the Adirondacks Regions 5 & 6. The rare radio transmissions in Region 8 are advising Central the unit may be out of cell coverage so call by radio. Car to car chatter is rare since there is only 1 Ranger or Encon officer in some areas.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@k2hz Yeah, Mohonk is a unique case, mainly because non-Rangers have access to the channel (or so it would seem, call signs I believe refer to maintenance units heard on that channel that fall into the same call sign block as the Rangers--"Truck 12," etc.--could be wrong about that though). It's unclear if the numbers are abbreviated plate numbers, or special for the Forest channels.

Yeah, it seems Spill Response is all cell phones now. I was trying to figure out their call signs for years--finally stumbled upon their handbook a few months ago. I would imagine they still have call signs assigned that just wouldn't get used save for some major incident (much like a great deal of NYSP special units, obscure State agencies, etc.).

L1DST

Feed Provider
Regarding Troop T, I commute a lot in the zone 1 area and listen to them all the time. They do not use their vehicle identifiers over the radio, instead using their badge numbers 7XXX. Dispatch's identifier is "New York". You can hear what vehicles they are driving during shift change (7am and 7pm), dispatch will call out each unit and they respond with what vehicle they are driving 1TXX. They perform "security" checks every hour where dispatch will call out each unit and they respond with "secure" or say their vehicle identifier.

Com-Tech51H8

bureaucratic absence of presence.
Premium Subscriber
I don't know about the Mohonk channels but on the normal DEC channels the 7N or 8N is generally omitted and only the digits are used.

It has been many years since I heard any 89# call signs here in Region 8 but they never used the "N" prefix. They were neither Rangers nor LEOs so I don't know which would apply. Once they got cell phones they never used the radio. Now all DEC units generally use cell phone in preference to radio where cell coverage is available. Most radio use is confined to the Adirondacks Regions 5 & 6. The rare radio transmissions in Region 8 are advising Central the unit may be out of cell coverage so call by radio. Car to car chatter is rare since there is only 1 Ranger or Encon officer in some areas.
so most if not all ecos and rangers will contact the county via there system. most if not all radio from region 6/7/8/9 to Central is done via phone. busy region 1/2/3/4/5 use the dec radio system.
@k2hz Yeah, Mohonk is a unique case, mainly because non-Rangers have access to the channel (or so it would seem, call signs I believe refer to maintenance units heard on that channel that fall into the same call sign block as the Rangers--"Truck 12," etc.--could be wrong about that though). It's unclear if the numbers are abbreviated plate numbers, or special for the Forest channels.

Yeah, it seems Spill Response is all cell phones now. I was trying to figure out their call signs for years--finally stumbled upon their handbook a few months ago. I would imagine they still have call signs assigned that just wouldn't get used save for some major incident (much like a great deal of NYSP special units, obscure State agencies, etc.).
the mohonk rangers belong to nys parks not dec. spill reponse does have access to the dec radio system however they never use it

8N308
8N315 through 8N319
8N323

8N are Rangers 7N is Law Enforcement 4 digit identifiers usually refer to assistant forest rangers or certain program staff <(rarity the even use it)