NYSP Wiki Pages

k2hz

Database Admin
so most if not all ecos and rangers will contact the county via there system. most if not all radio from region 6/7/8/9 to Central is done via phone. busy region 1/2/3/4/5 use the dec radio system.

the mohonk rangers belong to nys parks not dec. spill reponse does have access to the dec radio system however they never use it

8N are Rangers 7N is Law Enforcement 4 digit identifiers usually refer to assistant forest rangers or certain program staff <(rarity the even use it)
I am not familiar with current ECO activity but, from our 159.435 Adirondack Ranger feed, I hear regular Region 6 use, primarily on the Gomer and Whites Hill sites. The Region 4 Petersburg site is well within the feed coverage area but has only rarely been heard with car to car communications so it seems like cell is also the preferred communication for Region 4 Rangers.

Use of radio as primary vs cell seems to be for communication with Ray Brook vs Central. Cell, if coverage is available, seems to be preferred for communication with Central.

There are a lot of 4 digit IDs regularly heard in Region 5 High Peaks area with the many Assistant Rangers and the Trail and Summit Stewards.

lkas

Regarding Troop T, I commute a lot in the zone 1 area and listen to them all the time. They do not use their vehicle identifiers over the radio, instead using their badge numbers 7XXX. Dispatch's identifier is "New York". You can hear what vehicles they are driving during shift change (7am and 7pm), dispatch will call out each unit and they respond with what vehicle they are driving 1TXX. They perform "security" checks every hour where dispatch will call out each unit and they respond with "secure" or say their vehicle identifier.
troopers do not have badge, they are shields. Also, the 7xxx is not their shield. It is a PRIN . Basically a personal id number given to them when they get the tway detail.

Homer_LCPDFR

Premium Subscriber
@L1DST The vehicle numbers are documented as that's what they use when contacting NYSP dispatch (as opposed to Thruway dispatch)--it's a rare occurrence, but if the NYSP pages are meant to be all-encompassing, it's necessary. I'm probably going to add a note that they use their personal ID number on Thruway channels and probably link to the Thruway page--also on my mental list of things to do.

@Com-Tech51H8 I appreciate the information, that definitely helps. Mohonk seems like a rabbit hole I need to go down--I would imagine you're right about them being part of Parks, but their weird semi-independent state is something I'll have to look into. Thanks!

k2hz

Database Admin
troopers do not have badge, they are shields. Also, the 7xxx is not their shield. It is a PRIN . Basically a personal id number given to them when they get the tway detail.
That is correct as has been discussed on here before. The Thruway 7(Zone)xx radio ID is not necessarily based on the "T" plate number. And the units are called by the 7xxx radio ID but also acknowledge with their Shield. This is also typical in regular NYSP Troops that the Trooper will acknowledge by Shield but calls are generally by the assigned radio ID. Also, in many Upstate areas, NYSP unit dispatch is on the county TRS or conventional MRD system and the radio ID is assigned by the county, not the NYSP Zone/Troop/## system.

While the NYSP Vehicle plate number info is interesting, it may not correspond to what you hear on the radio on many systems.

warren

I believe the Mohonk Rangers work for the Mohonk Preserve, a private organization, not a State of New York agency

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
but if the NYSP pages are meant to be all-encompassing, it's necessary. I'm probably going to add a note that they use their personal ID number on Thruway channels and probably link to the Thruway page--also on my mental list of things to do.

I agreed and it should be as detailed as possible. I especially like the way the troop T page is now with the Troop Car Identity. xTxx, which is standard NYSP Car numbering should be left on the page. Even if units don’t identify like that over the air.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
I agreed and it should be as detailed as possible. I especially like the way the troop T page is now with the Troop Car Identity. xTxx, which is standard NYSP Car numbering should be left on the page. Even if units don’t identify like that over the air.
I agree with this, especially if/when NYTA goes digital. The RIDs will be the actual car radios.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
@seagravebuff60

Troop L Zone 1 should read East Meadow (Nassau County)

1696822799235.png

Headquarters should read East Farmingdale as thats where its been as long as I can remember Not sure why it ever said Farmingdale. Farmingdale is in Nassau County.

1696822526710.png

Guess people get confused as East Farmingdale, which is in Suffolk County, Farmingdale and South Farmingdale, both in Nassau County, all use 11735 zip code which is the only zipcode on Long Island that is in two different counties.

1696823129280.png

Last edited:

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
Regarding Troop L, Zone 1: Currently, the only station is East Meadow.
@seagravebuff60

Troop L Zone 1 should read East Meadow (Nassau County)

Headquarters should read East Farmingdale as thats where its been as long as I can remember Not sure why it ever said Farmingdale. Farmingdale is in Nassau County.

Guess people get confused as East Farmingdale, which is in Suffolk County, Farmingdale and South Farmingdale, both in Nassau County, all use 11735 zip code which is the only zipcode on Long Island that is in two different counties.
Troop L has been updated. Thanks
Regarding why HQ was labeled as Farmingdale, it is because that's how they Identify over the radio..." Farmingdale to 1L12"... But It has been updated to read East Farmingdale