OFFICIAL MSWIN Thread

AC0RV

Feed Provider
Trip

Is there is any Northern Mississippi MWIN Sties operational. I am setting files for a future trip through Misssissippi from De Soto County through Jacikson and going Brookhaven, Mc Comb, Terminating in Louisiana. Will also going the Coaunties Walthall and Marion counties.

So any info on the MWIN system for those areas as well.

nexus

Dave, its going to be at least a year or more before anything is "operational" if you read back in this thread you'll see that the state just began to install the system in the 3 coastal counties beginning in the Fall of 2007. This means only a month ago did they begin to install anything. And they're focusing on getting the gulf coast operational first before the rest of the state.

My guess is it won't be for another 4 to 6 months before the 3 coastal counties are being used by anyone. It'll be at least a year or more before the rest of the state is using it. Just got to keep in mind, they just now started last month to even do anything physical with the system.

The only people who would be using this system the most will be the highway patrol. Until then, you can program in all of their 42mhz freqs and their mobile repeater frequencies. If you scan those you'll hear them if they are close by you.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
MWIN will have initial testing for the coast done by the end of December. Plans are full running by end of January 08 on the coastal tier. MHP, MDOT, MEMA, MSNG are priority users till the whole state is up. Entire system wont be running 100 % till 2009 then subscribers will be comming online. The patchwork will be set up along the MS/LA border for direct linkage MWIN/LATIE Its a big test for Motorola to see if everything really does what they say ASTRO-25 can do. MEMA will still mainly use thier still new satnet.. but will have access on MWIN... Don't expect MHP's low band to fully vanish for at least another two years. Then get ready for a MS State Garage Sale

Last edited by a moderator:

nexus

Bryan, bassmkenk2508 to our knowledge is the FIRST person to hear TRAFFIC on MWIN!!!!

Congratulations Bryan. He heard someone on site 106 says 33 to Biloxi. And then I called him on the ham radio and we were talking about it and then all of a sudden I started hearing traffic on Site 105 (ocean springs) and he was hearing the same traffic on site 106. Someone on TALKGROUP ID: 7

I heard a male voice say 38 GULFPORT and then he said something but the transmission was a little garbled because I had the volume too loud. And then just a moment ago another transmission two male voices one called another one and I missed what he said but the other answered 10-4. This is all on ID: 7

So it looks like one of the first ID's is 7

So it looks like I was wrong about it being at least a year before anything was operational. heh. I'm just glad to finally start hearing traffic, now we need to just identify.

Last edited:

plutonium233

This is all good to hear! I am somewhat new to the scanning scene and I have a question about all this. What am I going to need to do/have to listen to the new MWIN network?

Thanks,
Kyle

nexus

Kyle, you'll need to buy a Uniden digital scanner, or an AOR digital scanner. The current line of Radio Shack scanners can not do 700mHz trunking.

Deeke

nexus said:
hehe oops, I meant to say an GRE digital scanner, not AOR...

Actually you were correct. Some AOR radios will receive it, BUT, we are in Mississippi and most of us can't afford one. I don't know of anyone that does personally, but, maybe one day........LOL

AC0RV

Feed Provider
What's the current status of the MWIN System ? What can be heard in the Picayune, MS and Bogalusa from the MWiN System ?

When I goto Bogalusa next month I will try and see what I get on the system from the Picayune MS Tower.:p

w8dm

Premium Subscriber
Ms Mwin

I know of only one station for sure on MWIN at this time., Its Mississippi Bureau of Marine Resources. It uses ID 7. I did hear an ID of 1 yesterday when I was in the Purvis area. But they were not on long enough to identify the two stations talking.

Don W8DM
Ocean Springs

nexus

Don, That isn't MWIN, its a FEMA system. If you go through a few of the posts in this thread, you'll see where I made the mistake of thinking it was MWIN, but was corrected, and I verified it through an official source which wishes to remain anonymous who verified it IS FEMA, but you're right about the user is DMR

bassmkenk2508

Don, That isn't MWIN, its a FEMA system. If you go through a few of the posts in this thread, you'll see where I made the mistake of thinking it was MWIN, but was corrected, and I verified it through an official source which wishes to remain anonymous who verified it IS FEMA, but you're right about the user is DMR

Excitement caught the better of us both. ;)

Reminds me, I need fresh batteries for the 396, lolz.

Twister234

Premium Subscriber
Is it MWIN ?

Folks, I have read the posts about the misidentified system that turned out to be a FEMA system on the coast. Is the SysID for the FEMA system 26D? I have a 99% signal on 764.40625 south of McComb. System ID is 26D and Site shows 269. WACN is BEE01. Whose system do I be listening to?

Last edited:

wirr

Database Admin
Regardless of what the official source said, I would think it is more likely to be MSWIN than FEMA.
1. FEMA has no way to license 700 MHz freqs; they can only use 700 MHz freq licensed by someone else, such as the state.
2. The state has announced a statewide 700 MHz project; has FEMA?
3. It is extremely unlikely that both the state and FEMA would both be building a wide area 700 MHz system in MS.
4. FEMA doesn't build radio systems like this.
I do believe that FEMA is providing funding for the system.

wirr

Database Admin
I found this info in a recent FCC filing made by the State of MS; looks like I may have to retract some of what I said...

In its Waiver Request, Mississippi makes several claims of potential
public harm should it be unable to continue to deploy additional narrowband
operations following August 30, 2007. Mississippi states that "strict
application of the August 30 deadline would not be in the public interest as
it would prevent the deployment of a radio system needed now to address
damaging hurricanes that may strike the Mississippi coastal area within the
next two months." According to Mississippi, FEMA has contracted with
Motorola for the installation of a 700 MHz trunked radio system to be
installed at six existing tower sites in the coastal area of Mississippi,
which "will improve interoperability, command and control capacity, and
provide improved situational awareness for State and Federal officials,
especially during contra flow and evacuation operations." Mississippi adds